Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 Jeep Patriot. The check engine light came on and the diagnostic said the catalytic converter was going. I have 130K on it. Anyone else have that problem? The local Jeep dealer wants $1100 to replace it. I have seen the converter's on Rock Auto parts for $250. How hard can it be to change one?

·
Registered
Patriot '09, 2,4 cvt 4wd
120 Posts
Don't know if you need it for a yearly chckup (CO2). If not, you could consider ditching it.
Replace the lamda or override it. It will give you a few more horses and money in youre pocket

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2014 Jeep Patriot. The check engine light came on and the diagnostic said the catalytic converter was going. I have 130K on it. Anyone else have that problem? The local Jeep dealer wants $1100 to replace it. I have seen the converter's on Rock Auto parts for $250. How hard can it be to change one?
I have a 2016 Patriot. Engine lights are common. NHTSA recalled a part for emissions which I changed out, then my garage tech told me to try a new gas cap because if it's loose, it will set off yr engine light. New caps from Jeep say that right on the cap. Haven't had an issue since I changed the cap. Get a second opinion if you are working with a dealer and make sure they give you the error code so you can look it up. Better yet but one of those readers for 40$ and pull up the code yourself. Make sure the garage you go to can do a smoke test to properly test your emissions. Emission and transmissions are common problems in Patriots. Hope this helps

·
Registered
2 Posts
Another recommendation, find a mechanic you can trust. Dealerships are not the best place to get fair treatment.

·
8,198 Posts
I have a 2016 Patriot. Engine lights are common. NHTSA recalled a part for emissions which I changed out, then my garage tech told me to try a new gas cap because if it's loose, it will set off yr engine light. New caps from Jeep say that right on the cap. Haven't had an issue since I changed the cap. Get a second opinion if you are working with a dealer and make sure they give you the error code so you can look it up. Better yet but one of those readers for 40$ and pull up the code yourself. Make sure the garage you go to can do a smoke test to properly test your emissions. Emission and transmissions are common problems in Patriots. Hope this helps
Welcome, Dls! Thanks for the advice. One nice thing about Chrysler products and so far this has held true for FCA products in this country: if the CEL comes on and the problem that tripped it doesn't recur for three successive run cycles (cold, warm, cold x 3) the light will reset to off. This just happened on our Patriot. The CEL was on for about a week but it went out yesterday morning. Hooray!

As for honest/competent dealers there are many factors that go into making a dealership experience successful. Not every mechanic is the best and you may have a rookie or a dolt working on yours. Some dealers recommend unneeded or premature service to pad their own ledger. Some dealers don't thoroughly diagnose a problem, they just throw parts at a problem until one of them turns out to be the magic bullet. These things can happen in various combinations.

• Around 100,000 miles my 2001 Pontiac was having tranny problems. I took it to my dealer expecting a multi-thousand dollar repair/replacement. They found a simple problem and fixed it for c.$100. I put another 150,000 miles on that transmission so whatever they did was right. They could have screwed me over but they were honest. That dealer later came to a parting of the ways with GM and they switched to Jeep and I stayed with the dealer.
  • Around 200,000 miles my Patriot had a troublesome electrical problem (documented elsewhere on this site) and it took multiple visits to get it diagnosed and fixed but they didn't charge me for the failed attempts. When the persistent problem wrecked my battery they replaced it; the problem continued and wrecked the replacement battery so they replaced that battery free for nothing because their failure to solve the problem was the cause of the replacement's failure. It was maybe 4 or 5 visits when they actually found the power drain and successfully repaired it. I got another 80,000 trouble-free miles out of that Patriot. :)
  • On my old Wrangler they did a brake job and as I drove home I realized it was dragging a caliper. Even though it wasn't the wheel they worked on, they fixed it for the cost of the parts because they felt they should have checked it more thoroughly and done the work while they had it.
  • While these are the problems I've had, they've done lots of other jobs with no problems at all.
They've treated me fairly to this point and I've stuck with them. They aren't the cheapest but they do good work. For little stuff I'll take it to my local guy, but anything major goes to my dealer.

Dealers are like people, in fact they are people: some are better than others.

PS, my dealer always gives me a loaner to use while it's in the shop and my local guy doesn't. As an outside sales/service rep, using their car is a big saving -- even a bit of a cash cow since I'm being paid time & travel. (y)

·
8,198 Posts
PPS, Since you're from NH, the dealer I'm talking about is Bob Mariano's in Concord.

PPPS, Please drop by the Newbie threads and introduce yourself to the others on here. Please tell us more about your Patriot. Any mods? Any adventures?

·
Registered
2014 Jeep Patriot Limited 2.4L 6spd
7 Posts
Odds are it's just a O2 sensor.
My light went off and on for 45,000 miles now, it affects nothing.
If your converter is truly plugged up or damaged you will know it.
The pipes will glow red with heat or you'll lose power like crazy.
On our Grand Cherokee I bought a little "spark plug non fouler" that fits the O2 sensor and pulls the sensor out of the heavy stream of gases and boom no more engine light.
But, be sure it's just the sensor acting up and not a damaged converter.
And if you're in a state that does testing it may not work for that.
We put another 110,000 miles on that Grand Cherokee after that with no issues until we sold it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts