Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I recently bought my jeep patriot at the beginning of the year at 107,000 miles. I'm now at 110,000 going to tune up doing spark plugs oil filter and oil change, what I'm wondering is should I go to a dealership and have the transmission oil changed ? Idk ifs it's ever been serviced for the transmission oil. The car runs great!

·
8,141 Posts
If you don't know that its been done then definitely get it changed. It should be done in the 50-60,000 mile range (don't believe the owner's manual). As for a dealer or an independent shop, it really depends on the integrity of the operation.

Some local shops are shy about changing any tranny fluid because some owners wait until the tranny is giving problems, get the fluid changed, then blame the shop that did the change. That's dirty pool and I know some shops that won't mess with transmissions just for that reason.

A dealer should do it, but I've heard of dealers refusing or trying to buffalo the customer about it not being needed, etc. A good dealer will charge more but the work should, I say should, be top quality. I fear that statement will generate a landslide of good/bad dealer stories. Fortunately I have a good dealer.

·
Registered
19 Posts
CVT Fluid change at my local dealer was 330..... 2009 Patriot with 82K.....FYI - the front desk Attendant initially gave me the “Its a closed system and doesn’t need maintenance” talk....later after he got with the shop foreman who said otherwise they did say it could be serviced......especially when they saw that I use mine for mail delivery....got it serviced, and it’s quiet and smooth.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts