Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

i'm about to buy a used Jeep Patriot, i'm looking for informations and feedback from Patriot owner :
Year : 2010 (Looks clean)
Transmission : Automatic
Km: 141000
Price : 3500$

Thank you.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Welcome! It looks nice... at least on the outside. Look underneath at the front and rear crossmembers and check them for excessive rust. Some Patriots had crossmembers severely rust, compromising the suspension. Mine are nearly rust free after 5 Buffalo, NY winters, so they don't all rust. also, ask the previous owner if/when the transmission fluid/filters were changed, they should be changed at least every 100,000Km (don't believe the owners manual), as it has the CVT transmission. I would highly advise anyone buying a used vehicle to have a mechanic look it over first, just to make sure there's nothing major wrong with it... better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome! It looks nice... at least on the outside. Look underneath at the front and rear crossmembers and check them for excessive rust. Some Patriots had crossmembers severely rust, compromising the suspension. Mine are nearly rust free after 5 Buffalo, NY winters, so they don't all rust. also, ask the previous owner if/when the transmission fluid/filters were changed, they should be changed at least every 100,000Km (don't believe the owners manual), as it has the CVT transmission. I would highly advise anyone buying a used vehicle to have a mechanic look it over first, just to make sure there's nothing major wrong with it... better safe than sorry.
Thank you for the informations, actually, i plan to have a mechanic look, after that, can decide about the purchase.

·
7,691 Posts
Welcome to the site!

At that age and that many KMs. There are two things you need to consider:
1) Transmission fluid and filters should be changed. Ideally at 50-60,000 miles (80-90,000 km). Presuming it hasn't been done, make that a priority. There is no way to effectively check for transmission problems other than listening for a howling bearing or feeling it slip while accelerating.
2) Check the subframe for rust. While most Patriots are solid, a few have had problems and subsequent failure. Even if repair is required, while certainly a major repair, its likely in the $1200USD range.

I think the asking price for yours is low, so maybe the present owner is compensating for a defect. Those are the likely defects, but in any event whenever purchasing a used vehicle, have a competent mechanic look it over for you. For that price you know you've not buying something new so soon you will discover why the previous owner is selling it -- that is typical with any older car. Again, I think your price is a bargain -- I wouldn't sell my 2014 with double those miles for double that price!

I've had two Patriots. My first went for 10 years and 275,000 miles. I did not change the CVT fluid in my first and the tranny failed at 110,000 miles. I consider that premature. The replacment went to 270,000 miles which to me is an acceptable distance, and the tranny began to slip. In both cases, Jeep replaced it under the lifetime warranty. Aside from that I had very few repairs. I had a break in the engine harness around 200,000 miles and my dealer was able to diagnose and replace it. My struts and throttle body both went past 200,000 miles which I consider very long-lived.

Presently we've got a 2014 Patriot that just had its first repair at 130,000 miles (left front wheel bearing). Original brakes went past 100,000 miles on both vehicles though I consider brakes a normal wear & tear item like tires and windshield wipers.

So good luck with your Patriot! I hope to see you around the threads. :)

·
Super Moderator
4,154 Posts
This ^^^^

And why is the tire pressure indicator on? Is there a flat tire? Bad sensor?

Give the suspension the "bounce" test, see if the struts are good. Are any struts leaking? Any creaking?
Is the back sagging due to worn upper control arms or weak springs?
Ball joints good?
CV axle boots have grease on them?
Any vibration when driving it? Clicking when turning? Pulling to one side? Un-even tire wear?
How's the brakes?
Any fluid leaks?

·
7,691 Posts
I see mr_et2 posted while I was still writing. He and I seem to be saying the same thing so consider mine a ditto to his.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Welcome to the site!

At that age and that many KMs. There are two things you need to consider:
1) Transmission fluid and filters should be changed. Ideally at 50-60,000 miles (80-90,000 km). Presuming it hasn't been done, make that a priority. There is no way to effectively check for transmission problems other than listening for a howling bearing or feeling it slip while accelerating.
2) Check the subframe for rust. While most Patriots are solid, a few have had problems and subsequent failure. Even if repair is required, while certainly a major repair, its likely in the $1200USD range.

I think the asking price for yours is low, so maybe the present owner is compensating for a defect. Those are the likely defects, but in any event whenever purchasing a used vehicle, have a competent mechanic look it over for you. For that price you know you've not buying something new so soon you will discover why the previous owner is selling it -- that is typical with any older car. Again, I think your price is a bargain -- I wouldn't sell my 2014 with double those miles for double that price!

I've had two Patriots. My first went for 10 years and 275,000 miles. I did not change the CVT fluid in my first and the tranny failed at 110,000 miles. I consider that premature. The replacment went to 270,000 miles which to me is an acceptable distance, and the tranny began to slip. In both cases, Jeep replaced it under the lifetime warranty. Aside from that I had very few repairs. I had a break in the engine harness around 200,000 miles and my dealer was able to diagnose and replace it. My struts and throttle body both went past 200,000 miles which I consider very long-lived.

Presently we've got a 2014 Patriot that just had its first repair at 130,000 miles (left front wheel bearing). Original brakes went past 100,000 miles on both vehicles though I consider brakes a normal wear & tear item like tires and windshield wipers.

So good luck with your Patriot! I hope to see you around the threads. :)
Thank you, i'll keep your precious notes for checking with the mechanical guy.
see you with the updates :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This ^^^^

And why is the tire pressure indicator on? Is there a flat tire? Bad sensor?

Give the suspension the "bounce" test, see if the struts are good. Are any struts leaking? Any creaking?
Is the back sagging due to worn upper control arms or weak springs?
Ball joints good?
CV axle boots have grease on them?
Any vibration when driving it? Clicking when turning? Pulling to one side? Un-even tire wear?
How's the brakes?
Any fluid leaks?
Thank you, actually, i tried the brakes and it look great.
for the sensor, i'll have a look again about this point and keep you in touch.
No vibration when driving both in highway and city.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
UDPDATE
Hi guys,

i made the mechanical analysis and a lot of points appears and need to be fixed :
- Tie Rod
-Table
-Control Arm
-wheel alignment
some photos for the mechanical visit.
i need your advices about this deal, the repair fix between 600 and 700$

@Sandstone it's a 2wd.

@Ignatz @mr_et2

Thank you.

Attachments

·
Registered
330 Posts
If that's all that it needs then I'd say buy it. That's all minor stuff, and I would consider that typical wear. What are you referring to as a table? That's a term that I haven't heard apply to cars before.

The front cross member has a good bit of rust on it,typical for it's age and your environment. As long as it's solid and not rusted through it's no problem.

·
Super Moderator
4,154 Posts
UDPDATE
Hi guys,

i made the mechanical analysis and a lot of points appears and need to be fixed :
- Tie Rod
-Table
-Control Arm
-wheel alignment
some photos for the mechanical visit.
i need your advices about this deal, the repair fix between 600 and 700$

@Sandstone it's a 2wd.
Ok, thanks. 2wd explains in part the lower price.

Biggest issue I see is subfame rust. I would check it very closely; if it's not rusted through anywhere then it's usable for now.

Yearly application of fluid film to the sub-frame/crossmembers inside and out won't repair the damage, but will slow the rust down and buy you some time.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If that's all that it needs then I'd say buy it. That's all minor stuff, and I would consider that typical wear. What are you referring to as a table? That's a term that I haven't heard apply to cars before.

The front cross member has a good bit of rust on it,typical for it's age and your environment. As long as it's solid and not rusted through it's no problem.
Table is canadian term, it mean Suspension control arm .
thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok, thanks. 2wd explains in part the lower price.

Biggest issue I see is subfame rust. I would check it very closely; if it's not rusted through anywhere then it's usable for now.

Yearly application of fluid film to the sub-frame/crossmembers inside and out won't repair the damage, but will slow the rust down and buy you some time.
yes, he said that too about the subframe, majority of 2010 car have this problem.
Thank you.

·
7,691 Posts
I doubt the majority of 2010 Patriots have dangerously rusted frames -- some do, most don't. Maybe what he's saying is that the rust you're seeing is normal for a 2010 vehicle. You live in snow country and I'm sure the DOT uses road salt or other chemicals that will eat away at vehicles. That's a trade-off for a safe highway. Just be sure the frame is solid and not rusting through from the other side.

FWD Patriots are a great buy. I've owned two and they are quite capable in the snow. We got almost 2 feet of snow in the last two days. In the middle of it, Wifey's FWD Patriot took Her 40 miles to work this morning. She leaves about 3AM and arrives there about 4AM. Of course the roads had been plowed but not for quite a while meaning about 5" all the way on rural highways with ups, downs, and curves aplenty. I've got Dunlop Grandtreks on it and IMO they are outstanding tires. With good snow tires you should be able to get where you need to. Don't take on a mountain pass in a blizzard, but I think you know what I mean.

·
Super Moderator
4,154 Posts
yes, he said that too about the subframe, majority of 2010 car have this problem.
Thank you.
You're welcome.

Just wanted to mention too, that I have a 2010 and there is some rust on it here and there, but regular washing and fluid film has kept it at bay.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Off topic, but looking at those underside pictures, I am pleased with the results of annual Krown rust proofing on my Patriot which is 3 years newer than the OP's. The value of rustproofing is vague in my opinion, but I do it for peace of mind and consider it $120/year of discretionary money spent on it vs. dining out, etc..

I hope your purchase turns out well for you.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts