Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New here. Hoping for some help. Just bought this jeep. Getting the obd code p0234. Which says a problem with pressure in overboost. Car hasnt driven in a while, could it just be blocked or seized turbo vanes. Would a turbo cleaner resolve? Or try a new pressure boost sensor? Anyway for me to test or iliminate this. Cheers guys

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the reply.
Update
I have put a bottle on diesel fuel cleaner in the tank. And a aerosol carb and egr cleaner into the air intake just past the air filter. With revs. And a lot of black and crap came out the exhaust. I turned off the obd code and reset the engine management light using the pedal method on ignition. And touch wood just done 20 miles at high speeds and giving it some welly to up the revs and went past speeds reached earlier and no engine light in. Hopefully was just blocked with not beeing driven for a couple of months and problem solved. Im thinking of doing the same method of fuel additive and spray again next week. Would anyone agree? Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello

My Patriot through this code a year or so ago. This will only work if you have a turbo that has a vacuum controlled wastegate some turbos are controlled through an electrical connector although my 2010 2.0 crd was vacuum controlled. First try checking that the vacuum hose is still plugged in to the waste gate, the rubber can become hard and the vacuum can blow it off the waste gate. If the vacuum hose looks good trying pushing on the waste gate it might be a bit stiff but you should be able to move it a little. Alternately you can use a manual air pump and a small hose to test the waste gate.
as shown in this video. The wastegate should open smoothly and retract without issue, after seeing the wastegate move keep the loop pressurised for 1 minute or so and see if it holds pressure. If the wastegate holds pressure its likely suck vanes but if the wastegate retracts or the pump gauge starts dropping its likely a damage wastegate. The waste gate is at the back of the engine facing down so the easiest way to access the waste gate is from under the car (you do not have to remove any parts). You can try and squirting some oven cleaner in to the exhaust side of the turbo as a temporary fix (1 to 2 months).

Hope this helps.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts