1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The patriot goes to max hot on the c to H while this light goes on

it chimes and continued maybe five minutes

then,

It goes from hot to cold , and the check engine light and the electronic throttle light comes on

It happens everytime I started it up and go. I'm not driving it

anyone know whats going on?

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hows the coolant level?
I just filled antifreeze month ago

I checked it at night , because making humming sounds, which was difficult to see , as the coolant/antifreeze is difficult to see the levels, and thought it leaked out so filled it up again and overfilled so they are fine

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
506 Posts
You would need an OBD2 code reader. If it's driveable, most autopart store will read them for free, but they're pretty cheap.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Start by feeling the heater hoses to see if things are actually hot. If not, your coolant temp sensor is probably bad.

Have you taken a look to see if the fuses are blown for the radiator fan? And that they spin freely with no power?

Remove the radiator cap and ensure there is coolant in the radiator - not just the reservoir.

Remove a little fluid from the radiator run the engine a bit and see if you can see coolant flowing to see if the pump is working.

You mentioned that you just filled the coolant? Was it really low? Air pockets can cause over heating issues if the coolant gets to low and you fill it back up.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Start by feeling the heater hoses to see if things are actually hot. If not, your coolant temp sensor is probably bad.

Have you taken a look to see if the fuses are blown for the radiator fan? And that they spin freely with no power?

Remove the radiator cap and ensure there is coolant in the radiator - not just the reservoir.

Remove a little fluid from the radiator run the engine a bit and see if you can see coolant flowing to see if the pump is working.

You mentioned that you just filled the coolant? Was it really low? Air pockets can cause over heating issues if the coolant gets to low and you fill it back up.
not just filled it maybe three weeks ago, then thought it may have had a leaked so refilled it a week ago. Needless to say it wasnt low

it was really low like three weeks ago

·
7,905 Posts
You mentioned a humming noise. Maybe the water pump? In my experience water pumps usually squeal before they fail, not hum, but I haven't had a water pump fail since the 1970s so maybe they sound different today. Really your symptoms suggest either the coolant is low or not circulating.
1. Coolant level (maybe due to leak?). If there was air in the system it may take a couple top-offs..
2. Thermostat failing to circulate the coolant
3. Water pump.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Thermostat will pop a code and mil. Really low level could cause air in the system which would explain heat and the hum could be cavitation at the pump (radiator cap not functioning?)

·
Super Moderator
4,615 Posts
John have you noticed any bubbles in the coolant, or white exhaust?

Any milky goo under the oil cap?

·
Registered
208 Posts
A scan tool with live data could be useful as this could just be a bad sensor

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Its the coolant, its all gone. Its been doing this a while, I just didn't know

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
well looks like bad news

Coolant has been leaking and empty a while, and I didn't realize it

coolant and water has been leaking into the oil

mechanic changed the oil out , and he didnt know where the leak was coming from , how to fix it

he recommend some motor shops

he said Cracked head from low coolant

That said, the mechanic has been working on cars a while and I would think he would have known this

·
7,905 Posts
Not only do oil and water not mix, they shouldn't mix. At best it means a blown gasket but if the mechanic says the head is cracked he's probably right. Tearing down an engine is major work and not every garage wants to get into that, but there are plenty who will. A dealer will, but you'd pay more there.

Running it low on coolant was a big mistake, and it can't be undone. Really sorry to hear that. :(

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Patriot still in shop

Mechanic said

If head gasket is just warped 1250

if totally cracked itll be more, hell have to clean it up

1 - 20 of 23 Posts