Jeep Patriot Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Sept 2009 POTM
2,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if anyone has put these all together before, but I was curious and so here goes.

All of the data is straight from Jeep.com. I found it very interesting how well the Patriot compares to the others.

The low spot for the Pat is the approach angle. The low bumper most likely was put in for aerodynamics to keep the fuel economy up. Who's going to be the first to rip it out?

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Nice work!

It is that approach angle, that low bumper that kills us in deep snow.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I was just looking at this yesterday, incidentally. I was comparing to other brands, however. Turns out that the Pat (FDII) stacks up pretty well against the likes of the FJ Cruiser and H3, too. In comparison to everything else in its class, it simply blows them out of the water in the ground clearance department. Really, when comparing to a lot of other formidable off-roaders out there, the Pat's biggest short fall is the inability to raise it very much. For example, the Rubicon only has 1.2" more ground clearance, but of course, it can easily be raised to skyscraper heights, so no one really concerns themselves with the stock clearance specs.

-SR-

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
I don't know if anyone has put these all together before, but I was curious and so here goes.

All of the data is straight from Jeep.com. I found it very interesting how well the Patriot compares to the others.

The low spot for the Pat is the approach angle. The low bumper most likely was put in for aerodynamics to keep the fuel economy up. Who's going to be the first to rip it out?
Remember, if you drive a FD1, your figures are going to be a little less aggressive.

·
just an average Joe
3,197 Posts
Who's going to be the first to rip it out?
It will take more than a rip off the plastic and put on something else (anything more than just a cosmetic bumper will be difficult as well).
There are several mechanical parts that are low:
1. A/C radiator and associated piping (piping actually lower than coil) are right at the start of the belly pan/skid plate.
2. A/C accumulator is outboard of the frame and quite low on the passenger side.
3. There are some electrical components that are outboard of the frame and a little low on the driver side.
4. Making a "useable" bumper will be difficult to attach. The frame rails that the current "bumper" attach to aren't straight nor are they symmetrical (from what I can tell by looking at the differences in the tow hooks).

Getting more approach/clearance directly in front of the tires is possible without much modification to anything but the bumper. Gaining more at the center is going to be more difficult.

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
hard to dispute #'s

Remember, if you drive a FD1, your figures are going to be a little less aggressive.
but find it hard to accept,
when i have the pat and Liberty side by side on a daily basis
FDII Pat and 4x4 liberty sport
Just recently got some bigger general grabber AT2's on the liberty
but hard to imagine pat having 2" more clearance than the liberty
given obstacles, even after knowing those numbers you posted
I would still choose the liberty to get over some 8" logs over the pat

·
just an average Joe
3,197 Posts
when i have the pat and Liberty side by side on a daily basis...
The Patriot's downfall is that the "low spot" is basically the entire underside of the vehicle whereas the Liberty and others are only low at the transfer cases and a few other points.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
when i have the pat and Liberty side by side on a daily basis
FDII Pat and 4x4 liberty sport
Just recently got some bigger general grabber AT2's on the liberty
but hard to imagine pat having 2" more clearance than the liberty
given obstacles, even after knowing those numbers you posted
I would still choose the liberty to get over some 8" logs over the pat
I think I read the ground clearance for the stock new gen Liberty is 7.4 inches, which is nearly the same as my XJ Cherokee.

http://jeephorizons.com/tech/xjstockspecs.html

Jeep Cherokee (XJ) Stock Specifications
Author: ThePhantum

All XJs were built as a "Unibody"…meaning that the body and frame rails not just tied together, they are one piece, as opposed to a frame with the body mounted to it (like Wranglers are). All XJ's have solid axles in the front and in the rear. The suspension consists of coil springs up front and leaf springs in the rear. All XJ's came with disc brakes in the front and drums in the rear.

Dimensions
(There may be small differences, dependent upon trim level and/or optional equipment)

Wheelbase = 101.4"
Overall length = 165.3" - 168.8"
Overall width = 67.9" - 70.5"
Track = 58"
Height = 64" (with roof rack 66.8")
Ground clearance from differentials = 7.3" (Upcountry = 8.3") Approach angle = 37.6º - 38º
Departure angle = 31º - 32.1º
Breakover angle = 21º - 21.9º

·
Sept 2009 POTM
2,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The Patriot's downfall is that the "low spot" is basically the entire underside of the vehicle whereas the Liberty and others are only low at the transfer cases and a few other points.

That's a key issue too. Solid axles lose a few inches just at the differential.
The breakover angle shows some of that, but a long wheelbase really kills that dimension no matter what (e.g. look at the Wrangler Unlimited)

·
Registered
457 Posts
Sorry to repeat your thread Dan. Your table is nearly identical.
no big deal, I didn't compare to all jeep models. That's good info to have for a perspective buyer.

Our "little" Patriots are more fuel efficient and pretty capable off-road. Nothing hardcore, but more than enough for most people who drive off pavement.

I will eventually add other older models (land rovers, land cruisers, s-10 blazers, etc).

- Dan M

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Sorry to repeat your thread Dan. Your table is nearly identical.
Submit one of them to the knowledge base, and it won't disappear over time.

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
Submit both.
The older post DOES have other competitors, and INCLUDES the FDI. It doesnt say which tires were on the FDI vs FDII though.

The FDI plus the tire and wheel group (17" rims) does lift clearance by about a half inch or inch, if I remember correctly

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.