Jeep Patriot Forums banner

121 - 138 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Thank you both....the calculations have been sorted out. Have come to the conclusion that,
besides only knowing the auto on 'winter' gas and not shifting thru the gears manually (i just drive it like any other automatic) coupled with the fact that it is driven with a not so aerodynamically designed roof rack and basket,
I will have to look more closely at mpg in the summer....although, that's when the vehicle will have to bugger through the wind with one or more surf boards strapped to the basket.
Oh hell.....still enjoying the ride very much.

·
Registered
48 Posts
How do you drive without using the CVT
I assume it's by manually shifting the clutch less tranny thru all 6 speeds. I've done both with my brand new 2012 and I noticed it revs higher in 6th with the manuel shift than it does if you just used the CVT at the same speed. Don't know why.

·
Regular Schlub
1,692 Posts
Earlier today I filled up the tank on my patriot for the first time...

Put 317 Miles on her and used 10.63 Gallons. 29.8mpg on my first tank is great!

I definitely drive the Patriot it very easy everywhere I go, and use cruise on the hightway… but keep in mind I went off-roading on 3 separate occasions (probably close to 20 off-roading miles) on this tank of gas.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Two test tanks driven by manually shifting...mpg still does not break 20.5 combined. Can my roof basket being sapping that much from my mpg? Can an old air filter be to blame? Will a new help gain back some mpg? Or to patriot just not get the mpg that they are advertised to get?

Maybe a cpu flash upgrade can also help? No clue....and starting not to care.

·
Registered
335 Posts
If you have a CVT, let it do the work, unless you're accelerating up a freeway onramp or such. Going by the data on my OBDII Torque display, Anything over 55mph sharply kills my fuel economy. As does stop/start traffic and hills that go on forever at low speeds. I would think a roof basket and choice of tyres/pressures matters a lot too.

FYI: At 65mph your using about 15~20% more fuel than at 55mph, so I imagine the 70-85mph I read on here is really doing you bad.

·
Premium Member
4,712 Posts

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
I noticed a difference just from removing my cross bars, so I can only imagine the improvement you would see by taking an entire basket down
My Fuelly tracking shows the dip in MPG w/ my roof rack on. Someday, I hope to pull my crossbars and see how they effect my MPG. I think hemostats might be the answer to getting the clamps off... :doh:

·
Registered
189 Posts
I'm a bit surpised by the Grand Cherokee and Wrangler results...I would have though the GC would be a little better and wrangler a little worse

·
Registered
335 Posts
Hey gang, big news! I reset the ECU/PCM/whatever by the method Eastbeach linked us to, and I just got 28-29mpg! :D This was mostly HWY driving with my usual hilly driving to and from home at each end. I gave the car a kick in the guts on the HWY a couple of times, and also drove aggressively up and down the onramps too. This is a significant improvement on my usual 25.5-26.4mpg HWY driving. :D

NB: I took all these figures from the dash, and not from Torque.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Well, I tried the system reset...from post no.132....now the true R&D begins.

Still cruising with the roof basket just going ez on the pedal.

MPG's seems to be returning....I think maybe there was some bad gas being sold for a bit.

Anyway, the 'Riot is one sweet lil'ride.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I've been looking at Patriot and Compass, rented both and got 30 mpg on the Compass and 22.5 on the Patriot. Both combined city, highway, same areas, both 4X4s. Any explanation of the difference? The Pat seemed bigger inside, noisier, more rugged. Any more info on a 6-speed automatic next year? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
7,349 Posts
Many factors: Package, one might have been 2wd vs 4wd, how you drove (traffic, if its hilly), and how well maintained the vehicle is (air pressure in tires, spark plugs, quality of gas etc).
They have the same engine/transmission options, and basically the same drag coefficient. so it really matters on which package you pick and how you drive as to your fuel economy. I personally prefer the look of the patriot overall, I love the nose of the newer compass, but the rear end of it needed to be restyled, and I don't like the sloping rear door, pat gives you a bit more room in that way, as it is more square.

I have a pat with the FDII (which is the worst MPG option) and get between 21 and 26 mpg, typically 25 mpg, but we drive 60% highway, drive at the speed limit with cruise control, and very few hills between us and our destination.

121 - 138 of 138 Posts