Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have the lifetime max care warranty on my vehicle. Recently I took the car to the dealership because my airbag light was on. When I dropped it off I asked them to check the control arms as I know they were a weak point when the car was produced. They came back with a list of issues. Some max care covered others they denied

Covered:
replacement of clock spring and the left front hub bearing

Denied:
Font left and right lower control arms: $866.98 plus tax.
Front left and right struts, strut mounts and bearings: $1045.94 plus tax.
Rear lateral arms/rear left and right upper control arms: $444.98 plus tax.

Looking at my warranty all of the parts are listed as covered.
I called max care and was told they were denied because the dealer told them those parts were worn and have a lot of play. The person I spoke with said that The life of the parts is 130K miles and that i should have had the car inspected and those parts replaced at that time. I replied that my car is at the dealer every 4-6 months as I have what called Maintenance for Life which is they perform an oil change,tire rotation and a '33 point' inspection of the vehicle. Things like these issues were never mentioned, only things like time to change trans fluid or injectors need cleaning.. I asked, " How am I supposed to know that I have to replace these things? There is nothing in the owners manual about that type of maintenance and the dealer checks said the vehicle was fine.". He replied. "Regardless of that, the contract has a provision that normal wear is not covered and your dealer said they were worn out."(it does) I asked what else I can do? he said to call the dealer and have them 'fight for me' whatever than means. There is now a record in the system of these being denied. I doubt the dealer can do anything.

I guess I am looking for suggestions.

Is there a way to 'escalate' this with max care to another level?
Does anyone know what parts and labor for the things denied would generally cost at a normal shop?
Should I talk to the service manager at my dealership and discuss with him?
Do you believe the dealer has some culpability as they never mentioned any issues and have performed at least 24 inspections over the years?

I am ahead on price as there have been a few other issues they they have fixed over the years but this seems wrong.

I plan on writing up a ten year review on my patriot soon. Overall it has been very positive.

·
7,905 Posts
I've never trusted extended warranties. I'd never pay for them. I did once and when I needed coverage the company was gone.

On the bright sideJeep stood by the free lifetime warranty they gave me when I bought my '08 and twice replaced my CVT, the second time I was at 270,000 miles. No questions asked, didn't charge a dime, gave me a loaner.

A lifetime warranty that doesn't cover normal wear and tear? Pretty useless. I wouldn't expect them to cover things like brakes, lights, and windshield wipers -- those are normal wear and tear, but an extended warranty should cover the mechanical aspects of the vehicle. What's the point of the warranty otherwise?

Agreed, if your dealer spotted worn parts I would think they would tell you because they'd want the work. It looks to me like they are telling you now that's its worn out. If it wasn't worn out when they checked it previously they'd have no reason to bring it up. And even if they did, what difference would that make to Maxcare? If it was worn then Maxcare would have replaced it sooner. As it is they got a few extra miles before it came due. I really think they are blowing smoke.

Since the parts are listed as covered then they ought to cover it unless they can prove some sort of abuse. That doesn't seem likely in your case. If they say its worn out you say "Yup, I figured it would. That's why I bought the warranty."

I bought a Compass last year and I'm constantly bombarded with offers to buy an extended warranty. I'm tempted to reply with a copy of your post!

·
Registered
506 Posts
I'll never buy an extended warranty again either. Back in '92 I bought one when I purchased a used '88 Thunderbird. A year later a head gasket blew... they refused to cover it because "gaskets are wear items and not covered".

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update:
The service manager called Max Care and they told him that there are some rubber components for the repairs of the control arms and bushings that have a 130k mile lifetime. The max care supervisor also said there is a provision in the 2010 contracts that states this. My wife and I both read the entire contract and there is no mention of a 130k restriction for any parts. We also did a word search on the document and there is no mention anywhere of 130k miles for anything. Emailed the service manager my contract and he is going to try again.

JeepCares couldn't help me.

Still holding out hope that this gets covered.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I don't normally side with insurance co's (they are scum) but auto dealerships are just as greedy. Your warranty probably covers parts that are broken and not just worn out (by a mechanics opinion).

I bet if you had the clock spring and Wheel hub replaced then took your Jeep a reputable mechanic he would tell you that you don't need any of that other work. Your dealer just wants to make money and they don''t care if the $ comes from you or the insurance co. In fact they probably make more money if you pay the bill.

The warranty did pay for the broken clock spring and Wheel hub which would have cost you well over $1000 bucks at the dealer, so they are not completely worthless. But there's a big difference between keeping your car running and keeping it running like new.

If you really want to keep your jeep for a long time then it's a good idea to replace all of your warn suspension bushings and shocks, but i would not pay the dealer to that work.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Those worn out parts should have been picked by the dealership or during the State Inspection which many States have atleast once a year cause these things don't just wear out over night.So I suspect that the dealership you brought your vehicle to,NEVER CHECKED EM like they were SUPPOSED to,which ,unfortunately, is all too common in this business.Stop and think what could have happened if you were driving your vehicle with your family in the car, and the front end fell out of it or you lost your steering!! Follow me??? And now,they're tryin to stick it to ya.I wish I could give ya atleast,give a direction to go in,but nothin comes to mind,except,if it was me, I'd make "DAM" sure that everyone know about this so called Max Care,as well as the crooked stealership who "alledgedly " was inspecting your vehicle.But one thing I CAN tell ya for sure is,this problem didn't just happen over night!!!

·
7,905 Posts
Those worn out parts should have been picked by the dealership or during the State Inspection which many States have atleast once a year cause these things don't just wear out over night.So I suspect that the dealership you brought your vehicle to,NEVER CHECKED EM like they were SUPPOSED to,which ,unfortunately, is all too common in this business.Stop and think what could have happened if you were driving your vehicle with your family in the car, and the front end fell out of it or you lost your steering!! Follow me??? And now,they're tryin to stick it to ya.I wish I could give ya atleast,give a direction to go in,but nothin comes to mind,except,if it was me, I'd make "DAM" sure that everyone know about this so called Max Care,as well as the crooked stealership who "alledgedly " was inspecting your vehicle.But one thing I CAN tell ya for sure is,this problem didn't just happen over night!!!
I've also seen on this site stories about some extended warranties that wanted to replace failed parts with used parts.

IMNSHO, extended warranties are usually a waste of money. Don't buy the warranty but put the money aside. Then when something breaks, you've got the money to pay for it. If nothing breaks you've got the pile of money. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts