Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2015 Jeep Patriot Altitude and the check engine light was on and wouldnt start one day. We thought it was the battery and so a tow truck driver came out to give a jump but our Jeep wouldnt stay on once he removed the jumper cables which led him and us to believe it was the alternator. We put a new alternator in, a new serpentine belt, and it started driving ok but then a few days later it didnt start again. A jump worked, and then a few days went by and then it lost power while I was driving it. All the lights flashed on my dash and so I had it towed home because it wouldnt start. We replaced the battery thinking it was a bad battery since there was a brand new alternator and once we put it in, it starts fine. Drove it around for a bit and then it dies while my husband was waiting in it in the pkg lot of our bank. We got a jump and just drove it home. WHATS GOING ON SOMEONE PLS HELP US!!! All the lights are on my dashboard and I’m out of guesses...

·
Registered
369 Posts
First thing you need to do is get a code reader and scan for codes. No sense in guessing what it might need when the codes will usually tell you. If you don't have a code reader, most auto parts stores will scan codes for free. I'd recommend getting one of your own though, you can get one for under $25 usually... I think I paid $15 for mine.

·
Registered
7,342 Posts
Step 1:
you said that the check engine light was on? What codes did you pull?

Step B:
Do you have anything after market installed (alarm, radio, etc)?

Step quatro:
Did you look under the hood to make sure nothing looks out of place/unplugged/loose?

It might be time to take it to your local mechanic, electrical issues are the worst to troubleshoot, and you'll spent A LOT more tossing parts at it (you've probably already wasted a bunch with the alternator and battery) than you would with a mechanic who can quickly diagnose the issue, and fix it quickly. It could be as easy as bad ground wire, or a bad fuse or a bad relay, or a sensor that has gone bad, it could be as bad as a shorted wire, bad ecu, etc. (hard to guess off of the information you've given).

·
7,754 Posts
First off, Welcome NaliJ! I'm sorry it was a problem that brought you to the site, but that is how many people find us. I hope between us, someone can help you solve the problem.

I'm with AIC. I think you've got an electrical problem that's drawing down your battery and probably stressing the alternator as it tries to keep up with the drain. I had something similar a few years ago. I only had a few lights on the dashboard but my dealer advised I would keep getting more until it go to where yours is now. Your approach is logical, in fact its what I did -- first I replaced the battery, then the alternator. Then I wrecked the new battery because it got drained so many times (batteries can only take so much recharging).

This is only a guess, but its a place to start looking: mine had a corroded spot in the engine wiring harness, directly below the battery. I think 10 New England winters and 200,000 snowy miles were enough to exploit a weak spot down low like that. It was $1000 repair, but money well spent since I got another 100,000 happy miles out of it. I'm really glad I didn't dump it at that point.

Unless you or a friend are really good at electrical problems, I'd say take it to a regular Jeep dealer. Local guys may be honest and they may get lucky, but they only see a Patriot every couple weeks and for any number of unrelated problems. A dealer sees dozens of these Patriots all week long and since these vehicles are virtually identical, chances are someone in the shop has seen your problem before. They might even have someone who specializes in electrical problems (my dealer does). A dealer has all the info including manufacturers bulletins and star cases so they probably can trace down the problem faster even if they are more expensive -- that's what you're paying for. A dealer may save you money in the long run rather than running at the problem one part at a time.

Good luck and please report back what the problem was. Like my paragraph above, shared experiences can help others find/solve problems quicker.

·
7,754 Posts
Step 1:
you said that the check engine light was on? What codes did you pull?

Step B:
Do you have anything after market installed (alarm, radio, etc)?

Step quatro:
Did you look under the hood to make sure nothing looks out of place/unplugged/loose?
Your outline reminds me of a professor I had in college! He was brilliant but his lectures were notoriously disorganized. Point one followed by point C, followed by Numeral II and then along came point A.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a 2015 Jeep Patriot Altitude and the check engine light was on and wouldnt start one day. We thought it was the battery and so a tow truck driver came out to give a jump but our Jeep wouldnt stay on once he removed the jumper cables which led him and us to believe it was the alternator. We put a new alternator in, a new serpentine belt, and it started driving ok but then a few days later it didnt start again. A jump worked, and then a few days went by and then it lost power while I was driving it. All the lights flashed on my dash and so I had it towed home because it wouldnt start. We replaced the battery thinking it was a bad battery since there was a brand new alternator and once we put it in, it starts fine. Drove it around for a bit and then it dies while my husband was waiting in it in the pkg lot of our bank. We got a jump and just drove it home. WHATS GOING ON SOMEONE PLS HELP US!!! All the lights are on my dashboard and I’m out of guesses...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hello NaliJ, my 2012 CVT Patriot is doing the same thing. A “Backyard” Mechanic told me the transmission is shot without even scanning for codes and wanted $5,000 to install a new one. I’ve been researching possible issues and So far the speed sensor was replaced. I took a video of what the Patriot does and how it idles decent while in park but sputters and stalls when in Neutral, reverse and drive, sent the video to a Dealership mechanic and he said he’s almost certain it’s just the spark plugs. $100 fix if that’s the case. It hasn’t been able to move out of gear since it went into limp mode the same way yours did. I’ll also have the mechanic check for any electrical issues as Ignatz suggested. Fingers crossed! Good luck!

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Hello NaliJ, my 2012 CVT Patriot is doing the same thing. A “Backyard” Mechanic told me the transmission is shot without even scanning for codes and wanted $5,000 to install a new one. I’ve been researching possible issues and So far the speed sensor was replaced. I took a video of what the Patriot does and how it idles decent while in park but sputters and stalls when in Neutral, reverse and drive, sent the video to a Dealership mechanic and he said he’s almost certain it’s just the spark plugs. $100 fix if that’s the case. It hasn’t been able to move out of gear since it went into limp mode the same way yours did. I’ll also have the mechanic check for any electrical issues as Ignatz suggested. Fingers crossed! Good luck!
Hi Jackiekay705,
We're sorry to hear about your experience. If you need any assistance while working with your dealer, please feel free to send us a PM.
Alex
JeepCares

1 - 8 of 8 Posts