1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Jeep pickup not happening anytime soon, model still undecided
23 Dec 2010 09:27 AM PST

Jeep Gladiator Concept

Earlier this year, Jeep CEO Mike Manley showed a concept Jeep pickup truck hybrid at the company’s 2010 Dealer Announcement Show in Orlando. At the show, Chrysler Group’s 2,314 U.S. dealers saw Manley end his presentation by saying: “You never know what might show up in your showroom someday,” after which a Jeep pickup concept rolled onto the stage.

Shortly after all that took place, we heard reports from sources that the pickup model would go into production sometime in the third quarter of 2011 badged as a 2012 model. Well, it ain’t happening.

While enthusiasm towards building a Jeep pickup truck remains high at the brand, there has been no “done deal” approval by the higher-ups.

Why? Well, the folks at Chrysler’s Ram brand are kind of upset stating that a Jeep pickup would cannibalize their pickup sales. Another reason is Chrysler is facing a shortage of engineers – so to build and engineer a brand new pickup Jeep would require a lot of resources.

By: Omar Rana, egmCarTech
Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required)

·
POTM November 2008
8,921 Posts
Well, that is the one and only way they will ever get any more of my money for a new Jeep. So "not any time soon" I guess. ;)

·
Registered
5,441 Posts

Another reason is Chrysler is facing a shortage of engineers – so to build and engineer a brand new pickup Jeep would require a lot of resources.
Looks engineered and built to me! I'd say resources have been released!

·
Registered
511 Posts
Did'nt Hummer try something like this a couple years ago. Well I guess you can buy the Hummer or Jeep. Wait wheres Hummer, Oh Ya there out of business!

·
POTM November 2008
8,921 Posts
I will continue to say Dodge Ram division can go screw themselves. ( and Chrysler profits in the process) You will never sell a Ram to a Jeep buyer. ( the Jeep faithful that is)

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Build it, and they will come!

Looks engineered and built to me! I'd say resources have been released!
Exactly my thoughts, too. I recommend building the thing as it targets a wholly different buyer than Dodge RAM pickup trucks. Personally, I wouldn't be caught dead in a RAM pickup but would be thrilled to put a Jeep Gladiator in my garage. I'm also certain there'd be a substantial overseas export market for a real Jeep pickup both among civilian and state (read .mil military) customers.

If Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge/FIAT management doesn't believe in the viability of the concept, I'd welcome the opportunity to own exclusive worldwide export rights. With hard work and targeted marketing, even corporate naysayers could be made believers.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts