Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys/Gals,

Has anyone seen these Jeep® Trail Edition Camper for Casual Campers and Jeep® Extreme Trail Edition Camper for Extreme Off-roaders? They look like they could work with the Pat.

Mopar is saying:

•Campers accommodate four adults and feature a queen-size bed, sofa with stowable table, built-in aluminum cabinet, 110-volt power supply and a premium canvas enclosure
•Camper trailers feature innovative engineering, capability and are designed and tested for Jeep® off-road capability
•For casual campers, the Jeep® Trail Edition camper is designed to endure trails with its lightweight all-aluminum construction, 32-inch BF Goodrich Mud Terrain tires, 12 inches of ground clearance, trailing-arm suspension, diamond-plated aluminum covering, and available 360-degree axis pintle hitch
•For hard-core off-road enthusiasts, the Jeep® Extreme Trail Edition camper ups the ante with a heavier frame, 35-inch BF Goodrich Mud Terrain tires, 15 inches of ground clearance, full-underbody skid plate, high-mounted fenders, and available 360-degree axis pintle hitch
•The all-new Jeep® Trail Edition camper (MSRP: $9,995) and Extreme Trail Edition camper (MSRP: $11,995) may be ordered as Mopar accessories on August 1, 2010 at local Jeep® dealerships

The Jeep® Trail Edition Camper for Casual Campers:

Dimensions for Jeep® Trail Edition camper:

•Weight: 850 lbs.
•Height: 49.5 inches
•Width: 88 inches
•Ground clearance: 12 inches

Jeep® Extreme Trail Edition Camper for Extreme Off-roaders:

Dimensions for Jeep® Extreme Trail Edition camper:

•Weight: 1,050 lbs.
•Height: 52 inches
•Width: 88 inches
•Ground clearance: 15 inches

The Pat could pull either safely. :smiley_thumbs_up: What it looks like.

What do you Jeepers think?

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea, I saw those. That looked crazy. I am sure they didn't sell too many, haha. It wouldn't be good off-road at all.

Those campers looks a little better, but nothing is going to be perfect. Unless, you use a tent.

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
Very nice! I wonder which camper company actually makes them. If money was not an issue I would buy one just because it says Jeep, but they are twice the price as other comparable tent campers.

·
Registered
5,441 Posts
Huh, I was going to say for $10K or $12K you can probably get something that had more stuff so I googled ultra lite camper and found this: http://www.livinlite.com/6.0-overview.php Which looks like the same layout and cabinet as the Jeep one. Minus the wrangler rear fender flare, bumper and wheel of course. I'd say it's a Jeep branded Quicksilver.

·
Off Road Enthusiast
1,391 Posts
Uh, yeah, at half the cost, I'll stick with the Jumping Jack. But it does beat the price of an Adventure Trailer; although I wouldn't dare compare the build quality. Looks like you're paying about $2k for the Jeep branding, and another $3k for the Mopar branding. Too bad 'cause it looks pretty useful!

·
Off Road Enthusiast
1,391 Posts
So, I missed Todd's post above identifying the manufacturer as Livin Lite. I did a little searching on my own and found THIS page which identifies the Quicksilver 6.0 as having a MSRP of $5,798.00.

·
Registered
5,441 Posts
So, I missed Todd's post above identifying the manufacturer as Livin Lite. I did a little searching on my own and found THIS page which identifies the Quicksilver 6.0 as having a MSRP of $5,798.00.
Then just hit a few bone yards to grab some Wrangler wheels, fender flares and rear bumper. Bolt them on and your done!

·
Premium Member
545 Posts
Nice- but VERY expensive, where's the mini-range or commode? Somehow that Jeep name and those SUV tires are worth a lot of money apperantly. I'll stick with a tent!

·
Registered
12,876 Posts
I don't see it, what advantage is there to haul one of those around? Extra gas for trips, and even at $6K that's 120 nights in a motel at $50 a pop. So if you take say two weeks vacation per year, and spend 8 nights in the camper tent, it would take over 15 years for it to pay off. And that doesn't count inspections and maintenance either.

And there are not a lot of places you could take it either, compared to a tent, and you would mostly use it at campgrounds anyway, and they charge more for those than tents. I think I'd rather throw my tent out, fill up my air mattress and just sleep like that.

I guess I never did understand those tent campers, I just don't see the advantages (over a tent) outweighing the costs and hassle.

·
Off Road Enthusiast
1,391 Posts
Jeff, I've been going back 'n forth on a trailer for a while. Maybe I can add some insight on why one would want a trailer...

For me, it's a convenience thing. When we go tent camping, we have to load up everything, and try not to forget anything; setup everything; break it all down; air it all out (if wet); etc. We have a camp box that holds most of our stuff, but things have been forgotten, like pillows. A trailer would help in this with being able to keep all the staple items on-board (even the folding trailers typically have on-board storage).

With two 40Lb dogs, tent camping is a PITA. They get dirt everywhere; they try to break out; and getting up and out in a hurry, like when they're puking, is near impossible. A trailer could help with this in being more access friendly.

We're finding that hotels aren't that cheap anymore; unless you really don't mind bed bugs and ghettos. With two dogs, and cleanliness in mind, we look for minimum 2-star hotels (preferably 3-star) which generally run $75-100 per night with the dogs. We would also go camping more if we could just hook up and go; so, using an average of say, 10 weekends per year, that's 20 nights = $2,000.00 in hotels, or a lot of hassle tent camping.

Though there are some limitations to hauling a trailer through the woods on the trails; they aren't confined to campgrounds. I think most camper owners stay in campgrounds as a convenience, but it's not necessary. Our intent would be to find a nice spot in the forest (not campground) to establish a base for our activities.

The trailer we're looking at can also haul a quad on top when closed, and serve as a utility trailer with the tent removed. This makes it a lot more flexible than a typical tent camper, adding to the ROI.

It'd just be nice to hook up and go, and not have to find everything. Just my $0.02... But I see your point too; we've been tent camping for a while!

I don't see it, what advantage is there to haul one of those around? Extra gas for trips, and even at $6K that's 120 nights in a motel at $50 a pop. So if you take say two weeks vacation per year, and spend 8 nights in the camper tent, it would take over 15 years for it to pay off. And that doesn't count inspections and maintenance either.

And there are not a lot of places you could take it either, compared to a tent, and you would mostly use it at campgrounds anyway, and they charge more for those than tents. I think I'd rather throw my tent out, fill up my air mattress and just sleep like that.

I guess I never did understand those tent campers, I just don't see the advantages (over a tent) outweighing the costs and hassle.

·
Registered
12,876 Posts
Well, you make good points too. I just can't see the expense I guess, as I have other things on my list I'd want to spend the money on more.

Now if it had an indoor potty, maybe.

·
Premium Member
1,099 Posts

I remember making similar points when my wife fell in love with the idea of owning a tear drop trailer a while back. We're still camping in a tent.:)

·
Registered
5,441 Posts
Parenting fail! :smiley_thumbs_up:
Not for back then. Hell I'm surprised the brochure doesn't show the driver holding Schlitz's in one hand. Those were the days where the govt. didn't regulate our own personal safety, and I miss those days.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts