Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Still a work in progress -- anyone have a "grille" they would like to donate?
Made from a bent light pole, 4x4", 1/8" wall, relief cuts on back to bend, then welded. Ends sliced, pieces added, then rewelded. Cost so far .... $20!

Attachments

·
Registered
604 Posts
Wow! Looking very good so far. What are your plans for monting the bumber? Do you plan on adding a winch. I'm amazed at your work, nice curve to the front. Can't wait to see the finished product. What color is your ride? How do you plan on finishing the bumper... painting, powder coating, or something else. So many questions.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No winch in the plans - too much weight! Mounts will be more of the same material. Finish will probably be spray-on rattlecan bedliner, ride is red FD2. Tow hooks should clear underneath....panel from lower radiator/crossmember will be up next -- trying to figure a way to make "speedholes" in 1/8" steel. That should give enough strength, but without the flanging of the holes there is no structure -- Edges can be bent for rigidity, but a flat panel has a tendency to "oil can", there is the ventilation issue, and I don't have a huge press of the fancy dies.....holesaw and ball pein, baby!!!

·
Registered
604 Posts
Sounds like you have it pretty well figured out. If you're using the rattle can bedliner stuff be sure you use a good primer first, if possible use an adhesion promoting primer otherwise this stuff can be easily chipped off, especially rock chips.

·
just an average Joe
3,284 Posts
Hopefully you will be willing to provide a measured drawing?

·
Registered
618 Posts
nice job!!! I tried to get a grill donated too awhile back. I'm sure by now you know its the whole grill and front bumper cover and not just a grill like the chrome overlays you see on here. There are a few (grill and bumper cover)on ebay for fairly cheap you could probably cut to fit

·
POTM November 2008
8,921 Posts
I'm impressed so far.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Finally someone that has the ability and skills to take on a project like this is! Keep us posted with all the details and pictures as the project continues. I am excited to see the final product.

·
POTM November 2008
8,921 Posts
Still a work in progress -- anyone have a "grille" they would like to donate?
Made from a bent light pole, 4x4", 1/8" wall, relief cuts on back to bend, then welded. Ends sliced, pieces added, then rewelded. Cost so far .... $20!

How did you start? Did you take your car apart first or are you starting from the outside and working back to the mounts?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Little of both on the method -- making a profile out of masonite has been the hardest part so far. Have been looking at the inside of the bumper using an inspection mirror and photos that have been posted.
Started playing with the idea just after Christmas, and this is about 25 hours of work so far - been working on it during slack times at work, and we are entering our busy season, so progress will be ssslllooowww for the next few months :( I'd take it home and work on it there, but the wife made me promise not to jack with the Patriot - it's supposed to be the family car, and be docile with good fuel economy. I've already had my butt chewed for putting a hitch on it, and painting the muffler black....
Her DD is a 96 XJ, built just about the way she wants it - 4.5" RE lift, Custom front and rear bumpers, winch, ARB, 33" BFG AT's, etc. I think she's afraid mine will look neater -- 'course, her's will still be able to go offroad and the Patriot will be nothing more than a "poser".

·
just an average Joe
3,284 Posts
I'd take it home and work on it there, but the wife made me promise not to jack with the Patriot - it's supposed to be the family car, and be docile with good fuel economy. I've already had my butt chewed for putting a hitch on it, and painting the muffler black....
her's will still be able to go offroad and the Patriot will be nothing more than a "poser".
Well that is no fun, and there is no reason for our fuel efficient commuters not to go offroad. They can do both - just offroad in moderation.

It seems to me that it would be fairly easy to separate the "grille" from the "bumper" - there is a nice seam to cut along. Visually you would not be able to tell so long as you could find a way to "velcro" it together (since the "bumper" would have no upper support once it is separate of the "grille"). Test fitting your modification would be fairly easy as it could always be returned to stock between fittings.

·
POTM Winner AUG. 09.
4,679 Posts
Congrats Mate!! Just wish I had the Skill & Know how!!

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Made from a bent light pole
How did you start? Did you take your car apart first or are you starting from the outside and working back to the mounts?
Jepstr, didn't you read the original post? He crashed into a light pole, and after recovering from the 'uh-oh' effect decided to create something positive out of the situation... :D (Or, at least this scenario for some strange reason just leaped into my mind when I read the post. :) )

Okay, kidding aside - very nice! Looking forward to seeing the finished bumper! :smiley_thumbs_up:

·
POTM November 2008
8,921 Posts
Jepstr, didn't you read the original post? He crashed into a light pole, and after recovering from the 'uh-oh' effect decided to create something positive out of the situation... :D (Or, at least this scenario for some strange reason just leaped into my mind when I read the post. :) )

Okay, kidding aside - very nice! Looking forward to seeing the finished bumper! :smiley_thumbs_up:
Oh I see. That's how he got the pole so cheap.;)

·
Registered
3,438 Posts

Tony beat me to the punch... I was going to say...

Step 1) Run over light pole to obtain building materials!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts