Jeep Patriot Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi All,

Recently I noticed my front end was sagging quite a bit and last week I heard a humming/rubbing sound from my front driver side tire. Upon inspection with the tire removed I found the strut was leaking plus the top of the coil rusted off the top mount. The whole assembly was sitting on my tire! So I couldn't use the coils again in this situation and got the KYB Strut Plus SR4507 and SR4508 for the front end, complete strut assembly with coils.

For the removal of the old struts it was fairly straight-forward, I did one side at a time.
  • Jack up the car and place a jack stand under the frame and remove the tire. I used a floor jack (or you can use the factory scissor jack in the trunk too) to lift the knuckle up a bit to remove the Sway link from the strut.
  • Open the hood and remove the 3 15mm strut nuts except for one, leave it one by a few threads to so it doesn't fall out later on you.
  • Remove the 13mm bolt holding the brake lines (just the lower bolt needs to be removed). Remove the 21mm nuts holding the struts to the knuckle, do not turn the serrated bolts and you can hold them in place with a wrench in case they rotate. Thread a nut on the bolts a bit to protect the treads as you have to knock these out with a hammer.
  • Lower the jack under the knuckle and the strut should separate. Reach on top and undo that 15mm nut holding it and carefully pull the strut unit out.

Install is the reversal but here are some tips:
  • The 3 Strut nuts are 14mm from KYB.
  • Use the jack to lift the knuckle back into the strut.
  • Torque the 3 nuts on top once the wheels are back on.

Torque Specs are different between older and newer patriots and for KYB struts so make yourself aware.

I compared the old struts afterwards and found them to be 2 different struts installed, the Passenger side was definitely OEM jeep, still had stickers with part numbers and in pretty good condition. Whereas the failed driver side was actually 1/2 inch shorter and had a different bellow and looked much older hence the coil and bearings rusted away. A previous owner must have fixed it up using scrapyard parts from a older Patriot/compass/something that seemed to work for a time.

KYB has a note tagged on the struts stating these will ride higher and need to settle. That is very true, I almost consider it a very very modest leveling lift perhaps 1/2 inch or 1 inch MAYBE. unfortunately I didn't measure before since my struts failed and was messed up on both sides, because of this I didn't bother. But this new gained height should go down a bit over time. I now have to consider adjusting my lights to point downwards a bit too. Current height from ground to fender is 31 7/8" on the driver side.

The ride quality is good. A tad stiffer in a good way, a bit more responsive and gave my Patriot a crisp feeling like a new car again. I'm quite happy so far. Maybe in 6 month these will have settled down and I give a follow-up again. If I don't please just ask me!

·
Registered
2017 Jeep Patriot 4x4
243 Posts
Thanks for the great info regarding the strut removal and install. I learn a great deal form reading the posts on this forum. Thanks again.

·
Registered
2014 Sport 4X4 FD2 Off-road, Falken Wildpeak A/T, All weather & convienance group, EVIC, ATC, Hitch
2,292 Posts
Yes, thanks indeed!. I'll be replacing all 4 of my struts come 70 degree (f) weather. Along with a bunch of other suspension parts.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, thanks indeed!. I'll be replacing all 4 of my struts come 70 degree (f) weather. Along with a bunch of other suspension parts.
I wanted to just do all 4 as well but rockauto didn't have the rears in stock at this time. I signed up to get notified when they get them in stock and when they do I'll probably do a quick write up.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Yes, thanks for the thread. What year and model Patriot? 2wd or 4wd? Did you get an alignment done after installation?

There used to be few replacement strut options except OEM. Now there are many, including high quality Bilstein. I ponder about quick struts because some forums claim that spring quality (ride height and comfort) can be hit or miss. Some vehicles have multiple factory spring options, but only one quickstrut is offered to cover them all. KYB tends to be high quality.

Thanks again and keep us updated.

·
Registered
2014 Sport 4X4 FD2 Off-road, Falken Wildpeak A/T, All weather & convienance group, EVIC, ATC, Hitch
2,292 Posts
There used to be few replacement strut options except OEM. Now there are many, including high quality Bilstein. I ponder about quick struts because some forums claim that spring quality (ride height and comfort) can be hit or miss. Some vehicles have multiple factory spring options, but only one quickstrut is offered to cover them all. KYB tends to be high quality.
I've wondered about that too. My Pat's a FD2, but looking for struts I don't know if they're the same as non-FD2 struts.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, thanks for the thread. What year and model Patriot? 2wd or 4wd? Did you get an alignment done after installation?

Thanks again and keep us updated.
I have a 2014 North model (Canadian Latitude with some extras) 4wd. I needed an alignment before all this, and I still need one now as soon as I get the time. Funny enough it's driving straighter now, but I would still recommend the alignment for anyone doing this.

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
I dont know if its just me but I noticed my sway bar link rests on my lower control arm after i installed these on my 2015 4wd 2.4 six speed latitude. I'm guessing because they haven't settled in yet? It's annoying hearing it hit on bumpy back roads.

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
The ride quality is good. A tad stiffer in a good way, a bit more responsive and gave my Patriot a crisp feeling like a new car again. I'm quite happy so far. Maybe in 6 month these will have settled down and I give a follow-up again. If I don't please just ask me!
How they settled? Do you recall if you had to out a load on the car to get your sway bar end links installed?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How they settled? Do you recall if you had to out a load on the car to get your sway bar end links installed?
Hey, sorry for the late response! They barely settled since the installation, right now the driver-side fender is about 31 3/4" from the ground, and have not noticed any change in ride quality. I liked the firm ride quality right out of the box and am still happy it's kept this.

Not sure what you mean by out load but the sway bar link does sit very close to the control arm but they never hit each other. If you're having issues where you feel they are contacting maybe take a look at the potential causes? If you hear a clunking sound, check wheel bearings/tie rods/ball joints, etc. for play, unfortunately, these Patriot's suspension geometry pushes these components to the limit and wear out quickly but by design shouldn't hit each other the way you describe unless something else needs attention.

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
Not sure what you mean by out load but the sway bar link does sit very close to the control arm but they never hit each other. If you're having issues where you feel they are contacting maybe take a look at the potential causes? If you hear a clunking sound, check wheel bearings/tie rods/ball joints, etc. for play, unfortunately, these Patriot's suspension geometry pushes these components to the limit and wear out quickly but by design shouldn't hit each other the way you describe unless something else needs attention.
Sorry, I had a few typos. I have the Moog lower control arms, stablizer links, and the KYB struts. When I have it up on jack stands, my links are against the control arms on both sides. I cross referenced the parts multiple times, so i definitely have the right ones. Everything has been replaced up front except the cv axles.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts