Jeep Patriot Forums banner
41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
I was able to use a gear puller with the fingers flipped to where they pointed outwards instead on inwards. When you remove the access panel from drivers side, you can take the outer seal off to expose the bearings, then get a grip between them to grab the lip and pull it straight off of the shaft.
I had more time in finding and driving 1hr. and 45min. to get the part and returning than actually replacing the bearing!
Good information mine were much more difficult than that I’ll give this a try next ti e in need to do them

·
Administrator
6,467 Posts
I was able to get off bearings from outside it was cake im stuck at what fluid came out dose anyone
ATF+4 MS-9602(Automatic Transmission Fluid), Mopar Part #05013457AA or equivalent.

·
Registered
1 Posts
ATF+4 MS-9602(Automatic Transmission Fluid), Mopar Part #05013457AA or equivalent.
On another note: I'm getting an Industrial Engineer to help me find a more durable Bearing for this, my third replacement on an '08 Compass. Anyone know the SET NUMBER stamped on the bearing?

·
Registered
2007 Patriot, Manual Trans, 4x4, bare bones stock
25 Posts
SO, I had the same problems as Toti. Whining in 3rd 4th and 5th, only when throttle is applied. I took my patriot to the transmission shop and they suggested that we drop and split open the trans to replace all the bearings basically to do a full rebuild on it for a grand total of $2500. I thought WHOA, okay, it still shifts fine, no other problems than a little noise, let me just try to do this first. I bought two bearings for $40 a piece at a local transmission parts supplier, and spent 8 hours (not 1.5) and 4 trips to 3 different auto parts stores to get the right tools to do the job. I waited overnight to let my gasket sealer set in before topping it back up with trans fluid. It didn't fix it. It wasn't until I reflected on it later that night that I realized the output shaft had way too much play in it after removing the outer bearing, meaning the inner bearing was the culprit.

I had to completely destroy the output shaft bearing to be able to get the tools in there to pull it out. ended up using a bearing puller and a slide hammer.

Anyway, it didn't fix it. It wasn't until I reflected on it later that night that I realized the output shaft had way too much play in it after removing the outer bearing, meaning the inner bearing was the culprit.
The output shaft (or counter shaft) is the one on the right. After I removed the bearing it just kinda flopped around in there. Good thing I didn't damage anything else along the way.

I knew this was a sort of gamble with myself, but I lost the bet and now I'm out a days labor and about $100 in parts and new fluid.

After getting a second opinion and discussing with the family, we decided to just cough up the dough and get the whole T355 tranny rebuilt. It will put us at ease, won't have to really worry about it again. I might have waited a while before deciding to do the service, but I'm about to go on a 4000+ mile road trip from Denver to OBX North Carolina and back and I'm not taking a chance of something happening on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere.

41 - 45 of 45 Posts