Jeep Patriot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,
I have been searching for a month for info on the input shaft bearing in the manual transmission patriots. I have a 2011 sport 5 speed. It has 81k miles on it and started making a terrible noise when in neutral and clutch released. The noise went away when clutch was pushed in. I took it to a dealership to have it diagnosed after a few people telling me the clutch throw out bearing could be bad. The dealership diagnosed it as such and quoted over $1500 to replace the clutch, slave cylinder and labor. I had my friend do it for me for $500 bucks plus $160 for a Luk clutch kit on his recommendation. He has 24 years experience at AAMCO transmissions. After getting it replaced, it didn't fix the noise and I was back at square 1. So While it was running and making the noise my friend got under the car and listened for the noise and heard it wasn't coming from the clutch but coming from the side of the transmission. There is a cover on the side of the tranny that can be taken off to expose the input and counter shaft bearings. But take it from me, you can't get them out that way. We tried every bearing puller out there and couldn't get it moved more than a few millimeters. I am posting this so anyone else with a manual tranny has the same symptoms, get it diagnosed by someone who you trust. I added a picture of the bearing after about 3 days of trying to get it off, we pried the cover off the bearing to expose the balls and eventually grinded the outer rim to make the balls come out to have something to get the puller on. It still didn't work.

I also recommend getting the bearing online as the dealership wanted $96 and I got them for under $40 (same part #). I ended up replacing both the input and counter shaft bearing as you have to pull the counter shaft bearing off to get the input shaft bearing off, and once it was off we could feel it was not smooth spinning like it should be. It is a hell of a process and I wish it upon no one. The bearings are located behind the drivers side front tire FYI

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey everyone,
I have been searching for a month for info on the input shaft bearing in the manual transmission patriots. I have a 2011 sport 5 speed. It has 81k miles on it and started making a terrible noise when in neutral and clutch released. The noise went away when clutch was pushed in. I took it to a dealership to have it diagnosed after a few people telling me the clutch throw out bearing could be bad. The dealership diagnosed it as such and quoted over $1500 to replace the clutch, slave cylinder and labor. I had my friend do it for me for $500 bucks plus $160 for a Luk clutch kit on his recommendation. He has 24 years experience at AAMCO transmissions. After getting it replaced, it didn't fix the noise and I was back at square 1. So While it was running and making the noise my friend got under the car and listened for the noise and heard it wasn't coming from the clutch but coming from the side of the transmission. There is a cover on the side of the tranny that can be taken off to expose the input and counter shaft bearings. But take it from me, you can't get them out that way. We tried every bearing puller out there and couldn't get it moved more than a few millimeters. I am posting this so anyone else with a manual tranny has the same symptoms, get it diagnosed by someone who you trust. I added a picture of the bearing after about 3 days of trying to get it off, we pried the cover off the bearing to expose the balls and eventually grinded the outer rim to make the balls come out to have something to get the puller on. It still didn't work.

I also recommend getting the bearing online as the dealership wanted $96 and I got them for under $40 (same part #). I ended up replacing both the input and counter shaft bearing as you have to pull the counter shaft bearing off to get the input shaft bearing off, and once it was off we could feel it was not smooth spinning like it should be. It is a hell of a process and I wish it upon no one. The bearings are located behind the drivers side front tire FYI
Any chance you still have the part numbers handy? My searches are coming up with several results. BTW, I really appreciate you making this post, this could have possibly saved me hundreds of $$ on a new clutch kit as my Pat only has 21k miles on her.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Had a 05 PT Cruiser 5-speed manual which is basically the same transmission as my 2014 Patriot 5-speed manual. My Cruiser did that when cold and new Jeep has done it intermittently since new. On the Jeep, shifting in and out of reverse a few times cancels noise.

·
Registered
53 Posts
The intermittent noise I get sounds like a dry bearing (pushing in on clutch pedal cancels noise). I understand that pushing down on clutch pedal disengages the clutch and bearing stops spinning. If that's the case, noise not from throwout bearing.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Forgive me if i missed something but basically you said you couldn't get the bearing out that way and you never actually clarified how you got it out. Did you have to remove the transmission and separate the case to get it out?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Forgive me if i missed something but basically you said you couldn't get the bearing out that way and you never actually clarified how you got it out. Did you have to remove the transmission and separate the case to get it out?
Did you ever find out? Sounds like I have a similar issue with my MY12 Compass

·
Registered
20 Posts
Had my input shaft bearing replaced at 101K miles - ~$1900, and I'm bringing it back tomorrow for the same symptoms, under the understanding that it is covered under the 60,000 mile warranty.

I had to have the car towed back twice immediately after for shifter linkage coming apart, and then for a bad clutch master cylinder which coincidentally reared it's head immediately after the other work was done.

My only worry now is that they try to cover their rears for the labor cost by telling me some other unforeseen issue has caused the premature failure. I have 0 interest in paying for the same repair after 11 months, 13,000 miles. Warranty, schmoranty,

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey everyone, Sorry for not posting in a while. Been crazy with knee surgeries and recovery this past year. The only way I found to get the input shaft bearing out was to remove the whole transmission. I had a friend with 25 years working on trannys do the work in my garage for me. The only positive was the rest of the transmission looked perfect once removed. He did say the transmission is set up to almost be identical to the automatics. maybe for a quick swap out if needed. He had worked on a number of the cvt trannys working at AAMCO

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ditto on this Problem

Well I'm guess that this is a "Jeep you need to look at this problem". We just got back from a 1900 mile trip and my 2015 Patriot 5-speed 4WD is making the same noise in neutral with the clutch is out, quieting down when it is pushed in - bottom line is the Patriot only has 21,000 miles on it and yes I know for sure that no one has been riding the clutch. Come on Jeep, you can do better than this!

·
Registered
17 Posts
For anyone wanting a parts list for Input Shaft Bearing Issue

My 2015 2.0L 5 speed Sport with 66k miles had the same exact transmission issue last spring 2018. LUCKILY it was covered under warranty (2015 Jeeps still have the 100,000 miles warranty)

I presume the numbering protocol in the work order is:
Unit - Part Number - Part Name

I hope this helps anyone looking for the part numbers for ordering parts online, reading the repair manual, etc. I copied the work order information over, instead of hosting a picture as those disappear over time when the picture hosting company goes away or server directories get wiped.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

ENG: ECN 2.0L I4 DOHC 16V Dual VVT Engine
TRN: DD7-5-Speed-Manual T355 Transmission

A GENERAL CONCERN
[CUSTOMER STATES CAN HEAR A CLICKING AND OR FLAPPING
TYPE NOISE FROM TRANSMISSION AREA INCREASES WHEN
ROLLING PUSH CLUTCH PEDAL IN AND GOES AWAY SLIGHTY]

2842 w
2745 w
3355 w

1 68001749AA BEARING-INPUT SHAFT
5-6
1 68003414AA BEARING-ROLLER
1-2
1 5189994AA PLUG
1 68001750AA SEAL-INPUT SHAFT BEARING
2 5013634AB BEARING-INPUT SHAFT
1 4318083AC SEALER-ANAEROBIC
3 68055894AA *FLUID-ATF+4
4 85165 COTTER
2 4318080AD *FLUID-BRAKE

FC: PART#: COUNT:
CLAIM TYPE : W
AUTH CODE:

·
Administrator
6,467 Posts
Nothing new. I have seen many guys mis-diagnose bad input shaft bearings as throwout bearings.
Yep, general rule of thumb is:

Depress clutch and hear a squealy noise - throwout bearing
Depress clutch and eliminate noise - input shaft bearing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Whiney Tranny

Not sure if my story will be helpful - but maybe - so here goes.

I have a 2011 Patriot Latitude w/2.4l motor & manual 5spd tranny. Not trail-rated. Purchased it new. Pushing 125K, real hard. 95% on paved roads. Half of that, droning along at 70 on the freeway.

It adopted a drive-train whine at about 40K. What I'd call a "clean" whine. No growling, or vibration, or "grittiness". Annoying, but no apparent ill effects on vehicle performance. Assumed it was in the tranny output shaft, since the whine frequency & volume increased with vehicle speed. And appeared only when the motor was loaded up in a forward gear. Clutch in = no noise. Deceleration = no noise. The whine steadily worsened 'till about 70K then stopped worsening. I had it into the dealer at least twice to see what was going on. Always got it back unchanged. They said it was normal whine. :^/ I changed tranny fluid about every 30k, just to keep it clean - and remove any debris that the "whine" may have been producing.

So..., I ran it like that 'till about a month ago, when I noted a "gritty" whine when decelerating. Not good! Parked the little turd 'till I could get it into the shop. They swapped all of the main shaft (output shaft?) bearings, in the tranny. Five of them, I think? Cost me 17 bills - but the whine magically disappeared. It was a fair chunk of change - but I gained a little fuel economy (hadn't noticed the gradual decline, but sure did on the up-take!) - and seems to have picked up a little bit of additional power. Whatever..., I'm sure enjoying the vehicle all the more without the whine!

Notable that this is only the 2nd time I've had to perform an unscheduled servicing. First time was for a half-shaft at 8 bills. Not because the shaft was bad, but because a CV boot was torn. I figure that given all of $2500 in unscheduled servicing over the 125K that I've owned the Patriot - I'm still ahead of the game. Still way less than I've had to spend on unscheduled servicing for just about every other car or truck I've ever owned with that many miles on it - and I've owned all of the big 3, and several of the asian brands. Can't say with any honesty that any of those other vehicles have held up as well as my little bar of ivory soap.

I'd been flirting with turning it over. And I might still. But right now, I'm leaning toward just running to ground.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Word of advice to anybody else having this problem don't keep running it. I have a 2012 latitude 4x4 that started making this noise at about 80000 miles. My work schedule in the summer is crazy so I just kept running it till winter when I planned on addressing the issue. Before I got to it the input shaft let go. In doing so it blew the clutch into pieces' and scratched up the inside of the case enough that it was no longer rebuildable. Doing all the labor myself and getting a good deal on a remanufactured tranny all said and done still cost over 3000. If I got to it in time probably would have cost me half that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Did you ever find out? Sounds like I have a similar issue with my MY12 Compass
I was able to use a gear puller with the fingers flipped to where they pointed outwards instead on inwards. When you remove the access panel from drivers side, you can take the outer seal off to expose the bearings, then get a grip between them to grab the lip and pull it straight off of the shaft.
I had more time in finding and driving 1hr. and 45min. to get the part and returning than actually replacing the bearing!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts