1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2007 JP, 150K miles. 2.4L 4 cylinder.
Had the lightening bolt issue at one time:
-Replaced TB, new plugs, and all new coils
-Found a leaking intake gasket and replaced it, which fixed the the lighting bolt and "limp mode". Several thousands miles now (5k).

After running a bit it gets worse, under acceleration where the transmission does not down shift, I get a miss. Under slow acceleration or constant speed no issues.
Today I was pulling an empty trailer and up a hill it downshifted and the RPM got up into 5K range which is rare. The CEL started flashing but I didnt notice any misses. After I got up the hill it went away.

Any suggestions? Ill look for codes but given the CEL is off I doubt there is any.
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Man, an intermittent miss is a tough one to diagnose and I have no explicit help for you. So, I guess I'll share some anecdotes from decades past to maybe assist avoiding the pitfalls I learned. The worst thing I do is put "blinders" on - I assume it it one type of problem and ignore other common possibilities. In small engine class years ago they said that engines need four things to run: air/fuel, spark, timing, and compression. The first two usually being the easiest to investigate.

You might want to run a full dose of fuel cleaner through your car. One with PEA, either Techron or Gumout. Maybe one of your injectors is fouled a bit.

Spark - man with today's computerized systems there are so many avenues for error. I once had an intermittent miss that turned out to be a faulty traditional plug wire - no codes thrown. Another time a transmission "stumble/slip" actually was a faulty $30 throttle position sensor that affected the tranny (go figure) - again no CEL codes. You may need to collect live data while driving the car to find the culprit. Or, a shop may need to put a scope on the car to detect the fault for which no code is being thrown. Anyway, check all your wiring to the plugs, etc. with the hope of finding an obvious problem (tough one).

Sorry I cannot help anymore. I guess my main point is don't make assumptions and keep an open mind to any and all possibilities. I.E., even though it's replaced, maybe your throttle body is acting up again......getting worse when the engine warms up (expansion/contraction). Did you remove the plugs and check them? - sometimes one can go bad internally, etc. and cause a blip when it warms up. Check your coil boots, etc. - all the obvious stuff you might otherwise overlook (my "blinders" syndrome described above).

Best of luck. Please follow up if you find the solution.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had a intermittent miss on my 2014 2.4L, 156,000 miles no codes.

After about 3 months I got a check eng light. It turnrd out to be a bad coil. I changed the coils and plugs (E3's). . Now it runs great.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts