Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I needed to use the ice scraper to get a couple inches of ice off the hood. I did so very gently, but it still left some black marks on the white hood.
I dont feel any actual scratches, and belive its just marks from the ice scraper.

What are my options to remove these? I wouls prefer to do it myself.

Once this is done, another thing I am wondering about. Clear coat, and wax. Neither of which I have ever done to any of my vehicles. Do they help pretect the paint? If so, how do they help, and how often should I apply it?

Thank you.

·
Registered
514 Posts
T-cut, but you didn't need to use the scraper on bodywork nor should you ever.

You should have just started the car and the heat from the motor would have heated it enough to push it off.

Your car already has a clear coat from the factory it isn't something you do yourself

·
Registered
4,792 Posts
if its just a scuff mark i would buff it out,
can buy some compound and rub it out
then would need to wax it,
clearcoat is not something you just add like a wax
it is factory coated and clear coat lasts for years
clearcoat isnt just used to spot treat scratches,
its applied to entire panels for a uniform coat,

·
Registered
7,366 Posts
Clear coat is just paint without color in it, basically. (i know there is more to it than that, just keeping it simple) You cannot go back an just add a little paint here and there, it would look terrible.

Buff it out, and wax it, and then never do that again.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you.
Ive never buffed or waxed a vehicle, so ill youtube that.

I know it was a stupid thing to do. Not sure what I was thinking.

·
Registered
12,876 Posts
First time I wax a vehicle, I wax everything that's painted, and you should too. That's inside the door jambs, under the hood, and especially around the rear hatch, inside and out. Look at older hatches on any vehicle and they usually rust first at the lower part of the hatch where the water and salt, etc sits.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Totally irrelevant I know, but this reminded me of when my mom borrowed my car and used a broom to sweep the snow off the hood... She somehow managed to shear both of the windshield squirters off flush with the hood (but didn't realize she had done it!)

Next time I went to use the car I went to use the washers and it shot geysers about 2 feet straight up from the broken squirters! Lol! Laughed my butt off until I found out that the little buggers were $30 a piece and a PITA to change in minus 20 weather. Live and learn I guess ;)

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
holy hell. Charles Darwin says what up, he wants to hang out soon.
Please don't spam. If you're going to post, at least try to make sure your post has some relevance to the thread.

·
Registered
38 Posts
As mentioned already your best bet is likely rubbing compound but on thing I've used in the passed on light scuffles was gasoline on a rag and buff only on the mark to limit any paint issues. If it's a mark on the clearcoat and not through that may work.

I live in snow country too and can't say I haven't done the same on my aging vehicles. Never a newer one, I will slap the hood with my hand to break up the crust then sweep it off. The balance comes off when the engine warms up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts