Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
Just bought a used 2007 Patriot 4X4 Limited and I love it.
The only thing I dislike about it....is the alarm.
I hate car alarms with a burning passion.
What I want to do is get a copy of the key and chip made for my keyport.
Unfortunately that means I won't have the lock/unlock buttons on me.
However, if I just unlock the door with the key, the alarm goes off, which is the most annoying (and not to mention embarrassing) thing ever.
I know this topic has been touched on before, but I never saw any real answers to the problem.
Is there any way to completely and full disable the alarm. I'm thinking about taking it to a dealer and asking them about removing/disabling it.

Thanks,
Duncan

·
Premium Member
3,455 Posts
Get into your manual...there's a location to make the horn honk/light flash go away when locking/unlocking.

Other than that, perhaps a visit to the dealer could flash the TPIM to remove that feature. And...check with your insurance company--if they show an alarm on your vehicle, they'd be upset if you disabled it....just my humble opinion!

·
Mopar or no car!!!
1,719 Posts
It might be on the Vehicle Information Center on the dashboard in your settings? I know I can turn on and off the horn honking and lights flashing on mine when I lock/unlock. However I have a fancy aftermarket alarm system that overrides any of the oem stuff. Hopefully it's in the manual somewhere. Good luck my friend.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Actually, the manual says nothing about fully disabling it.
As far as I can tell, there doesn't appear to be a way for me to disable it.

·
Registered
844 Posts
I might be all wrong on this idea but I think you can lock the Patriot with the inside door locks without setting the alarm and then open the door with a key. I tried to figure out a way to open the door with just a key and without triggering the alarm but I don't know how to lock the tailgate.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
the lock button on the driver door locks the doors and the tailgate from the inside.
i forgot to lock the car once and the key was in the house.
i just pressed the lock button ,the car locked and i closed the driver door.
car stayed unlocked.
might be worth a try

·
Registered
261 Posts
Nothing you can really do about it. All Jeeps and Chrysler now use the SKIM security system to detect the presence of the correct key when it's inserted into the ignition. (There is a transponder in the key head)

If you look at the ignition, you will see a plastic ring around the lock cylinder. This is actually the antenna that talks to the the SKIM to let the PCM knows the correct key has been inserted. If the wrong key is inserted, the vehicle will not start.

The entire alarm system is integrated into the PCM and the SKIM. If you begin to tamper with it, you're just going to lead into bigger issues.

·
Premium Member
4,244 Posts
Could you slip a spare key with chip into the plastic housing around the ignition and leave it hidden in there?

Then you theoretically could start and run your car with a flat key and the alarm system would think the key was there all the time...but its hidden from car thieves and you are back to locking it like we all used to?

·
Registered
844 Posts
I just tried it and it worked. I locked the doors with the inside door lock switch. Then I opened the driver's door and pushed down the door lock button and closed the door; everything including the tail gate was locked but the security alarm was not set. I was able to unlock the door with the key and the alarm did not sound. I'm pretty sure you could do this with a copy of the key but of course you could not drive the car with a copy of the key.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, I guess I could just manually lock the driver side door.
I just don't want to have to do that.

Getting a key for my keyport with a chip isn't a problem. I'm not worried about the car running, just the alarm when I use the key to manually unlock the door.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts