Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 2007 patriot sport a year ago not knowing too much about them so I now want a limited :-/. So I found a great deal on a 2007 patriot limited 4x4 loaded with everything but navi and autostick with 49k mi. My patriot is lifted with stucoils and is a 4x4 with leather and that's about it with 65k mi. The guy at the dealer was asking $15000 I got him down to $13500. They will also give me $10,000 for my car as a trade in ( book value is $8500) I also asked if they would switch my coils as part of the deal and they agreed. It's a well known Chevy dealer. Does anyone find this weird or it's just a good deal and I should jump on it? My friend thats a dealer said that it sounds fishy it's like there trying to get rid of the car for some reason?? I think the guy just wants to make a sale and commission. Any input please?! I just don't want a junk car bc my car is in great mechanical shape. Thanks

·
POTM November 2008
8,921 Posts
That sounds like a lot of effort just to knock off 16k miles. I'd forget it unless you buy new. Sounds like you have your current Patriot the way you want it and you know what kind of care it has had. A bird in the hand so to speak.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Yea I guess you are right! It just sounds like a great deal but then again you never know..Do you guys think there could be something wrong with that jeep and he's trying to pass it on to me? Thanks for the input

·
Registered
4,792 Posts
Yea I guess you are right! It just sounds like a great deal but then again you never know..Do you guys think there could be something wrong with that jeep and he's trying to pass it on to me? Thanks for the input
you will never know till you own it for a while,
1 thing you could do is ask for your own mechanic to look over the PAT,
ask for permission for the mechanic to pull the plugs,
fee a mechanic may charge you for such is a small price to pay,
and mechanic will look for signs average people may not think of,

also make sure everything is clear in writing when making the purchase,
dont want to get hit with surprises,
like labor charges to swap the coils,
maybe $10k offer was with coils only giving $9k now without it,

if bluebook for your pat is $8500, reason why they are willing to offer $10k
they are not in the business of losing money.

·
Registered
350 Posts
There may be something wrong that their not telling you. Check the car fax for any suspicious problems. As well as doing a thorough look over check everything. I had looked at an 09 FDII back when I was getting my Pat it had about 6000 miles on it they wanted about 19k for it I was pumped it was basically new but something seemed fishy about it. Checked the car fax there was no car fax from the day it left the factory 3 years prior to the day the dealership got it. Then I noticed the paint didn't match up on one quarter panel front passenger side. Was also missing a couple screws for the bumper and it was ready to fall off. I had test driven it and it seemed fine but once I noticed the paint and bumper screws as well as the car fax I knew something was up. Then went to a different dealer and managed to get a brand new pat for a little bit more than what the other dealer wanted for the 09. It's a good piece of mind to know its new and you know everything that has gone on with your jeep. If you bought yours new back in 07 and there's absolutely nothing wrong with it I'd just stick it out till you were ready for an unfishy pat. I'm glad I didn't go and buy one that seemed suspicious with my luck it would fallen apart on me.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have to say, it sound fishy they want your old Pat to sell you and older one.....You get it I hope...

FYI the dollars figures in the black book is market value ( purchase value of a used set of wheels, buyoff from a dealer is around 10% less).

Knowing was it is about, keep your old Pat like the guys said (jeepstr67, kds, kerkiraios00)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I bought this car used from the owner about a yr ago so I don't know if it really wasn't in an accident.. The dealer told me it has a value of 8500 but I just checked kbb and it said about 9200 in good condition which it is. I thought it over and I don't really think its fishy anymore.. I checked the two front quarter panels and they are original with the vin numbers on them. But on the rear bumper I did notice a lil paint work done just on the bumper which I really don't mind other then that the car looks and rides great.. The car fax is clean which I know means nothing but other then the bumper I think the car is great.. I think I might go for it n see :-/ btw thanks for all the replies

·
Registered
242 Posts
I'm surprised you are finding any dealer offering you above what KBB value for good is. I had a hard time getting the "Fair" value for my trade in, even thought it looked and run great (but was old). I was told by two dealerships that the KBB or NADA are "just guides" not what you can automatically expect from them.

The question is, why spend money for a vehicle that is the same age as what you have? You've had yours for a year, so you've got a good idea what shape everything is in (brakes, shocks, etc). Yours is in great mechanical shape. I'd stick with it and get to that magic point of "no car payments" sooner. But that's just my opinion.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's not true 100% I went to another dealer and I asked my trade in value and they told me between 8500-10000.. I also traded in my 2004 m3 for an 08 and they gave me 20k when kbb said 20300 so I guess it depends on the dealer?

·
Registered
656 Posts
You can get a 2012 sport model Brand new for 16,000 or 20,400 for the 4x4 with power group and alloy wheels. They are offering 1500 cash back which brings the sport to 14,500 or the 4x4 model to 19,000. Choose wisely

·
Seriously Addicted
4,074 Posts
kerkiraios00 as long as you can justify yourself the purchase I'd say do it. Its your purchase and no one else.

I recently had the same issue. I wanted a Liberty pretty bad and my fiance supported my decision if I should get one. I saw a Liberty at my local dealership and it was a used 2010 with the same color as my Pat. It had about more miles on it than my Pat, but that didn't bother me. It also had less options as my Patriot. After the test drive, I was ready to buy it. The dealership wouldn't work with me at all on a trade in value for my Pat. I ended up walking away and that was the best decision made. Because I have a lower payment with the Patriot, better options, and way better gas mileage.

I didn't mean to hijack your thread, I just wanted to tell you my story. It's really all in how you justify it.

·
Registered
242 Posts
That's not true 100% I went to another dealer and I asked my trade in value and they told me between 8500-10000.. I also traded in my 2004 m3 for an 08 and they gave me 20k when kbb said 20300 so I guess it depends on the dealer?
Well It was true in my case. My point being, not every dealer will give you what KBB says is "Good" value for your vehicle. They will try to offer your "fair" value, which is a difference of a couple thousand dollars. Shop carefully was my point.

I traded in a GMC Sonoma extended cab 4x4 pickup. It had less than 100,000 miles and still looked really sharp. Two dealership offered me $2,500-$3,000 for it. The other offered $4,500. (which was "Fair" condition ... the worst listing on KBB). You can guess which one I went with.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts