Jeep Patriot Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my new Jeep patriot in July under the cash for clunker program. I loved it! I had to get the 5 speed manual because the cash for clunker program required me to get the better gass milage.

I was sooo hapy to have it, my wife and daughter would go out to the sand dunes and hang out. My daughter is only 3 so she loved seen nature, going to places she never could before.

But now, I am sad. 2 days ago a woman turned right in front of me at an intersection. I hit her head on. She got a tickit for failure to yeald. But the worst of it is she is uninsured. So this is my first post, but it may be my last depending on how good my insurance is.

I am posting this because while I walked away with only minimal injuries, only a strained ankle, my airbags didn't deploy. I was rather suprised! I was going 35 miles per hour and I hit her with my brake on, but they didn't go off.

I was wondering if any of you had an airbag deploy? I know I wouldn't want them to be too sensitive because of the offroad issues, so I guessI am kind of glad they didn't.

I do have a new vehicle replacement add on to my insurance policy along with uninsured motorist coverage. So I am keeping my fingers crossed that I can get a new one!

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
No airbags? oh... then don't you mean that you have some big injuries..."wink wink", you'll be driving a Wrangler, Patriot, and a Liberty in no time!

In all seriousness though, glad you're ok. I hope the insurance helps you out!

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
Welcome and its good to hear your injuries were minor. Do let us know how it turns out for you.

·
Off Road Enthusiast
1,383 Posts
Sounds like you should be covered. Was there enough damage to total the Patriot? Anymore, vehicles are designed to crumple and absorb an impact through the whole vehicle, making them somewhat of a disposable item when it comes to crashes. Good luck with the claim and hope you can hang around!

·
POTM Winner AUG. 09.
4,636 Posts
Thats really tough --- I'm glad you are Ok---Lets hope you will be back on he road soon--Stay in touch.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will be back

Thanks for all of your kind words, I think this forum is fantastic! I am going to do everything I can to get a new one.... I think I am going to opt for the trail rated this time. Now that I am not limited by the cash for clunkers program I don't have to wory about the extra mileage only achieved through a manual transmission. I am still curious about why the airbags didn't deploy though.

·
Unofficial OU Blingmobile
1,032 Posts
Thats really tough --- I'm glad you are Ok---Lets hope you will be back on he road soon--Stay in touch.
X2. I did a quick search and came up with this from Wikipedia:

"Unlike crash tests into barriers, real-world crashes typically occur at angles other than directly into the front of the vehicle, and the crash forces usually are not evenly distributed across the front of the vehicle. Consequently, the relative speed between a striking and struck vehicle required to deploy the airbag in a real-world crash can be much higher than an equivalent barrier crash. Because airbag sensors measure deceleration, vehicle speed and damage are not good indicators of whether an airbag should have deployed. Airbags can deploy due to the vehicle's undercarriage striking a low object protruding above the roadway due to the resulting deceleration."

If you were braking the airbag system may have determined the force of the crash was not enough to deploy.

·
Senior member/Jan09 POTM
1,438 Posts
Get back on the road with a new Pat, you hear...we're expecting you and some pics also...take care;)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Sorry to hear about your ride...that sucks and other driver not insured..real crappy...here's a thought..sell the damaged pat for parts I'm sure lots of us would buy some(I want the rims...lol), you will get more for the parts than the pat as a whole...from your insurance...plus the no deploy of air bags Chrysler has money...go after them...

best of luck

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
Sorry to hear about your unfortunate run in. The angle does play a big factor. Just happy only minor injuries. You may want to check with your insurance company as well on where you stand going after the other driver.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I spoke with my insurance company today, I have uninsured motorist and gap insurance so I will be fine. The only question I have now is should I get a 2010 Patriot, or a 2009 Liberty which cost about the same with the rebates.

·
Registered
12,851 Posts
I looked at the Liberty's when they first came out. Was interested, and talked to some owners. They all liked them, but said the gas milage was not very good. Moat I talked to told me they were getting 15MPG. For 15 MPG I can drive a full size 4wd pick-up.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.