Jeep Patriot Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I just bought a 2015 Jeep. I’ve never had a nicer car before I’m so excited.
I paid 12k for a 2015 Patriot with 103k miles on it. Did I get a really bad deal? I know it’s a high price but I really wanted heated leather seats, the nice wheels, and the sunroof.
I think the dealer screwed me more on the financing but he said my credit sucks and I was nervous to shop around that I might not get approved a second time. I know a bit dumb there.
Anyways I’m super excited I bought a 10” touchscreen off Amazon to replace the 430 which doesn’t actually have Bluetooth although they said it did.
I’m interested in putting tweeters in the dash spots and also maybe a subwoofer but definitely an amplifier. Any links would be appreciated

Also there’s someslight rumbling on the back end. I figure it to be the wheel bearing but are these cars notorious for anything like a differential or something??

Thanks see yah around

·
Registered
52 Posts
The market sucks right now for buyers so 12k isn't bad if it's in especially good condition and isn't 2 wheel drive..

4wd's could have 3 different transmissions depending how it's outfit, manual was pretty uncommon, then the regular 4wd's have a 6 speed Hyundai transmission and Freedom Drive II models have a CVT.

Bringing that up because the 6 speed automatic claims to have lifetime fluid and that's some b.s. .. it really should be changed every 60k miles if you want it to actually last and it's pretty likely nobody has done that on yours at 103k since most people only do the minimum. There is also a PTU and a RDU - the PTU is a gearbox that takes power from the front transaxle and sends it to the back, the RDU is the rear differential but also contains the clutches that engage and disengage 4WD. Those each have oil in them as well and should be changed routinely when you do the transmission fluid.

If your Jeep didn't come with an owners manual in the glovebox, you can download a pdf for it and your full build sheet by registering at mopar.com with your VIN - it will also let you know if there are any recalls open for your Jeep. The owners' manual will let you know what the service schedule is and what fluids to use. Both the CVT and the 6 speed automatic are particular about what fluid is used in them so don't just put random ATF in there if you want your investment to last. The coolant is supposedly good for 10 years, but I don't trust it more than 5 - replacing radiators and heater cores sucks so I do coolant at 5 years regardless of the manual. Power steering fluid should probably also be changed so you don't develop leaks or noise in the pump.

The spark plugs need replacing every 30k miles if you use the recommended factory spark plugs, it's super easy to do. I went with a platinum plug that I expect to last a lot longer but spark plug religion is kinda weird with people on forums so do what you like there - just letting you know about the factory specified interval. Failing plugs will cause a "hiccup" while cruising that lots of people mistake for a transmission problem, and also will produce less horsepower and worse MPG.

If the rumbling you hear in back is not the result of mechanical failure it could just be that the manufacturer didn't see fit to install any sound deadener back there under the spare tire. If you're upgrading the sound system anyway, budget yourself $60 for a bunch of Noico and do the inside of the doors (through the speaker hole, what you can reach) as well as the area under the spare tire. It makes a huge difference in bass with the music up as well as in quietness with the music off.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thank you so much for the congrats and tips. I am very excited to own a nice car for once and I really want to accessorize it as much as possible but still keep the stealthy mean black sexy look it has

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah it’s 4wd 6 speed auto
Thanks for the tips I have a bunch of service records from car fax but it says nothing about transmission fluid so I’ll do that this summer.

I plan to sound deaden as much as I can afford. I wonder what has more benefit doors vs trunk. I will do what you suggested at a minimum

the rumbling is something on the rear suspension or wheel bearing. While I was on the lot, I shook the front wheels really good and they seemed great. For some reason I didn’t check the back wheels until after the purchase. I think the salesman knew and made me avoid it ahaha. Because when I shake the back driver wheel something is obviously loose. Maybe a bushing maybe a ball joint. I’m not too worried unless it turns out to be drivetrain related. I can do suspension easy

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah when I turn to the right on the highway it vibrates and rumbles slightly more. Has to be suspension related right?

·
Administrator
6,835 Posts
Hi weffy, welcome to the site

If you hear rumbling/vibration/tire chirping from the rear on a tight turn it's more than likely a bad wheel bearing/hub; a fairly common issue.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I really want to accessorize it as much as possible
Your jeep and your money, but not everything on the shelf for sale actually makes your vehicle better. Sometimes what you choose not to F with is as important as what you do change. In the long term the most admired vehicles are the ones that were just kept clean and maintained.

I plan to sound deaden as much as I can afford. I wonder what has more benefit doors vs trunk. I will do what you suggested at a minimum
There's a point of diminishing returns, unless you're going to get involved in competitive car audio you really don't need to go nuts on deadening. The places you will get the most bang for your buck are nearby to the loudspeakers and any panel that makes a lot of noise when you knock on it - large flat surfaces that don't have creases, mostly. So whatever you can see of the door skin from inside the speaker holes in all 4 doors, and then the bottom of the spare tire tub are some easy to access, low hanging fruit and really a $20-60 investment in the butyl-and-aluminum Noico will get you a long way - you can spend more but that diminishing point comes early. Clean the surfaces you're going to stick with some rubbing alcohol on a clean paper towel (don't use a cloth or towel that has been through a washer/dryer, fabric softener is a wax and reduces adherence when you smear it all over a surface) . Press the sound deadener firmly onto the surface everywhere you want it to stick - the better it's stuck to the surface the better it can do its job. Don't use non-sound-specific products like peel-n-seal they do not stick to vertical surfaces long term and they smell awful for a long time.

·
Registered
2014 Sport 4X4 FD2 Off-road, Falken Wildpeak A/T, All weather & convienance group, EVIC, ATC, Hitch
1,547 Posts
Welcome to the group! It's very easy to get carried away with modifications/accessories, but definitely don't skimp on maintenance. Spark plugs, fluid changes, etc should definitely not be overlooked. Especially in a Patriot. Check out the pics in people's showcases here for ideas, and don't forget to share pics of yours.

·
Unsponsored Baja racer
4,770 Posts
Your Jeep your vehicle as stated before, however if I may recommend, a touchscreen, leather seats, sunroof, and sound deadening make alot less sense on a Jeep than they would on a Cadillac. This is the brand known for getting away from it all and roughing it a bit, not for taking it with you, ya know? And as et2 mentioned, it's wise to check the maintenance, as it can be hard to know what the previous owner did and didn't do for their vehicle.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Gotta disagree about the sound deadening making less sense on a jeep... most of the getting-away-from-it-all I do requires at least 1-2 hours on the highway just to get far enough from town to matter and it's a whole lot nicer with the road rumble turned down a few dB. Not even because of loud music, it lets my wife and I talk about random stuff without speaking so loud so we don't get fatigued from a whole day of shouting, it lets us listen to audiobooks more quietly, it makes it easier for either of us to sleep while the other drives when we're going extra long distances. 10/10 would recommend a few bucks worth of sound deadener to anyone with a Patriot no matter how they use the vehicle.

·
Administrator
2014 2.0 5-spd FWD
8,955 Posts
Welcome! For all this talk about the sound system, if you make it loud enough you won't hear that rumbling. ;)

Now to be a little more serious. Remember, as with any used vehicle, the previous owner sold it for a reason -- most likely to avoid impending problems. You will discover what those problems are soon enough, so don't spend all your money trying to gussy it up right away. Solve the problems first. Just some friendly advice.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Your jeep and your money, but not everything on the shelf for sale actually makes your vehicle better. Sometimes what you choose not to F with is as important as what you do change. In the long term the most admired vehicles are the ones that were just kept clean and maintained.

There's a point of diminishing returns, unless you're going to get involved in competitive car audio you really don't need to go nuts on deadening. The places you will get the most bang for your buck are nearby to the loudspeakers and any panel that makes a lot of noise when you knock on it - large flat surfaces that don't have creases, mostly. So whatever you can see of the door skin from inside the speaker holes in all 4 doors, and then the bottom of the spare tire tub are some easy to access, low hanging fruit and really a $20-60 investment in the butyl-and-aluminum Noico will get you a long way - you can spend more but that diminishing point comes early. Clean the surfaces you're going to stick with some rubbing alcohol on a clean paper towel (don't use a cloth or towel that has been through a washer/dryer, fabric softener is a wax and reduces adherence when you smear it all over a surface) . Press the sound deadener firmly onto the surface everywhere you want it to stick - the better it's stuck to the surface the better it can do its job. Don't use non-sound-specific products like peel-n-seal they do not stick to vertical surfaces long term and they smell awful for a long time.
Thanks! That’s some really useful information

I plan to accessorize it as much as possible was the wrong way to put it. I definitely don’t plan on putting stickers or cutting any holes in it. Any switches will be added to the radio bezel which can be replaced.
I put a rear view camera in today and pulled a few panels in the trunk and I was surprised at how well insulated the car already is so I think your right just some adhesive buytle/aluminum will do fine. I can always add more later.
I have the stock 4 speakers and I need a subwoofer and more importantly tweeters. I’m looking for some pre fanned panels for behind the side mirrors. Not the a pillars but the panel right there behind the side mirrors

I don’twant a big subwoofer in the trunk but I want decent bass. I’ve always liked the way a sealed 1cu ft 12” sounds but I might go smaller and try to find something for the passenger side of the trunkwhere the Bose sub would go

You’re all correct. I should really focus first on the maintenance before I go all out on the stereo so that’s what I think I will do.
I will get this wheel bearing or both rears done and then whatever else I can find with the suspension.
I will do the plugs, transmission flui, Ps fluid, and I also have to hunt down why I’m getting bad fuel economy. 18-19MPG. Could a ecu reset cause this? It’s probably the spark plugs.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all the kind words. I will be sure to post some pictures next week along with maybe an update thread.

yes the previous owner was the second

first owner had it 5 years. 80k miles
Standard

second owner had it 7 months. 22k miles
Confusing

it has a bad wheel bearing and I’m going to attempt to get in contact with previous owner to ask about issues he discovered

I just got my fitted floor mats from Amazon today (smartLiner) and anyone without these needs to get them. They fit like a glove and it seems they will just pop out and I can rinse them off easy. It’s a tub so all the gunk will stay in.

I also disagree. Leather cleans easier than cloth seats. This is my second car. My nice car so I’m going to make it nice and comfortable and have the option to take it off the road sure but that’s not what it’s for. Jeeps can be nice.

do I post pictures here or should I start an update thread?

·
Administrator
6,835 Posts
do I post pictures here or should I start an update thread?
If you're going to do more updates and would like to post the progress, you may want to start a build thread.

·
Registered
133 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Just finished swapping out the spark plugs although they didn’t look too bad but hey they’re done again.
Wheel bearing is fixed. Man it looks like someone might have replaced it with a cheap part or something. The entire hub had about 1” of play in and out. The axle nut was loose. Like not even finger tight. Just kind of on there. ...

air filter was disgusting. I took the entire air box out and washed it in the sink. I should havewashed out the foam piece in there for the pcv but next time I guess

So all that’s left is the transmission filter. I’m going to save that one for the winter I think. It looks pretty intense and lots of bolts to undo.

A single can of fluid film on the chassis and I’m cruising all summer in my new Jeep.

She’s riding wonderful now. I was fortunate enough to be able to test the traction control on the highway and it works just fine. Hahaha. I caught myself doing 95 on a pretty sharp turn. It was driving so smoothly after the wheel bearing was fixed that I caught myself hitting 95mph into a pretty sharp bend on the highway. Hit the brakes to avoid grandmas rear end and that abs and esc kicked on to help me out for a second so I am glad it works like it’s supposed to.

Oh I also scored some mud flaps on eBay for $40 and they should be here today. There is no hardware included so I must get creative!

as for the stereo. I am planning on doing a 3 way component set up front and a coaxial in the rears. Both 6x9 infinity kappa. They sell a 2” midrange that fits the stock dash tweeter location. And then tweeters by the side mirror panels.

I’m looking for creative ways to hide the amplifiers. Possible in the dashboard. Under the hallow piece on the floor/firewall/dash. In the middle on the floor between driver and passenger feet.
Probably will do a removable subwoofer box molded around the spare tire. Hidden under the mat. I want to keep that cubby in the side of the trunk around. Keep it stock looking the only thing not stock looking will be the tweeters in the doors and the 10” touchscreen on the dash =D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts