Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I have an 08 with the 2.4 and the cvt transmission. I need to know how to service the cvt? Do I just change the fluid? Is there a filter? And also how do I check the level? There's no dipstick.

·
Super Moderator
5,376 Posts
Hey everyone, I have an 08 with the 2.4 and the cvt transmission. I need to know how to service the cvt? Do I just change the fluid? Is there a filter? And also how do I check the level? There's no dipstick.
Hi Brett, welcome!

Along with a fluid change there are two filters, one is the pan strainer and the other is a small paper filter located under the oil-to-water cooler located on the side of the transmission.

The fluid change is fairly straightforward, you just drop the pan and drain the fluid. Once the pan is off, you R&R the pan strainer (3 bolts).

The filter under the oil-to-water cooler is accessed by removing the battery and the battery tray. There are 4 bolts to remove the cooler, the filter just slides off.

The fluid is measured in mm at temperature. Dorman makes a dipstick for this that you can buy online.

Take a read through these threads, lots of good info.

http://www.jeeppatriot.com/forum/15-engine-drivetrain/148202-cvt-transmission-overheats-whines-high-rpm.html

http://www.jeeppatriot.com/forum/15-engine-drivetrain/14491-cvt-transmission-fluid-filter-change-3.html#post1772746

·
Registered
36 Posts
Is there a filter for the cooler on a 2011? While I was trying to put on an auxiliary transmission cooler a while back and took out the battery tray, I noticed that there was just a metal plate cover on where the cylinder is on earlier models that houses the filter. Is the filter still under that plate?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
5,376 Posts
You're welcome Brett.

Is there a filter for the cooler on a 2011? While I was trying to put on an auxiliary transmission cooler a while back and took out the battery tray, I noticed that there was just a metal plate cover on where the cylinder is on earlier models that houses the filter. Is the filter still under that plate?
You know, I think there is a filter but I don't have the right manual to confirm it.

Rock Auto doesn't show a filter for 2011, but OReilly's does.

Looks like they apparently ditched the oil-to-water cooler in 2011 for non-trail rated models, which IMO is good since it really doesn't help much, is expensive to replace, and if it leaks coolant into the trans the trans is toast.

Next time I do a fluid change I may see if I can replace mine with the plate for the 2011.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Sorry to revive an old threat here but I had a question about changing the trans cooler filter , Do I have to change that after the pan has been dropped and the transmission coils been removed or can I just change that whenever?

·
Registered
814 Posts
Sorry to revive an old threat here but I had a question about changing the trans cooler filter , Do I have to change that after the pan has been dropped and the transmission coils been removed or can I just change that whenever?
You can change it whenever, but some fluid may leak out. Probably not though since the fluid won't be pumping since the engine's not running.

·
Super Moderator
5,376 Posts
I changed mine after I had dropped, drained, and replaced the pan. You could change it first if you want (there won't be more than a teaspoon or two of fluid that drips out) but don't run it until you have changed the fluid or you'll make the new filter dirty.

·
Registered
632 Posts
For me learning how to do a fluid and filter change was worth the money for me to pay someone

regardless a fluid and filter change at 50-60 k miles can prolong your patriots cvt a long time

Reactions: mr_et2
1 - 10 of 10 Posts