Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a probably pretty beginner question:

I just bought a AVH-P3200DVD head unit, and on the head unit harness, there is a black ground wire that has a C-shaped metal end on it, the kind that is supposed to be attached to a grounded screw...

Now on my canbus harness, there is a black ground wire that is just a wire with no special end....

Am i supposed to thread these two wires together as with the rest of the harness' wires? Should I connect them together at a grounding screw? or does the harness wire go right to the headunit somewhere?

Also, where is the best place to ground the headunit?

·
Registered
457 Posts
you dont need a connector on the end of the wire to ground anything, though I don't know why you wouldnt use a connector instead of ust just wrapping the wire around the ground screw. Silly and more prone to coming undone with an exposed wire.

I usually use fork or ring connectors. I prefer ring but sometimes it doesn't make sense due to wire diamater and current ground screw size so I use a fork sometimes.

It doesn't matter, you can use existing ground or make your own. Just make sure it's connected to metal. Ideally bare metal, but not even the factory doesn't remove the paint for all grounds.

- Dan M

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I'm still a little confused - i guess what I'm asking is should I connect the ground wire from the deck's harness to the canbus harness's ground wire, as I have done with every other wire in the harnesses?

This would entail taking off the C shaped ring that came installed on the deck's harness ground wire to make the connection.

OR should i just attach the ground from the headunit to the Jeep itself and just tape off the ground on the canbus harness

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey Duh,
I know you posted earlier on the forum about whether the AVH would fit in the stock slot. did it fit ok? i haven't ordered mine yet but would like to this week......did you have to order add'l harnesses as well?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts