Jeep Patriot Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much weight can the Patriot haul without damaging it? Well I have a pellet stove at home and needed more pellets. I managed to haul 25 bags or 1000lbs and still had just enough suspension left to drive the 10 miles home.

Granted, this was on back roads and not going over 50mph. I did have the weight evenly dispersed and as far toward the center of the 4 wheels as possible. There was physically enough room to haul more but 1/2 ton is about the max for the Patriot I have.

Just thought you'd want to know. I'm sure there'll be the folks that post all sorts of negative feedback. Knock yourself out if that's what you're into. Just lettin' y'all know.
:smiley_thumbs_up:

·
Premium Member
544 Posts
Towing and payload

The capacities are from the dealer's website (http://www.jeep.com/hostc/vsmc/vehicleSpecModels.do?modelYearCode=CUJ201005)

Payload= 925 pounds
Towing= 1,000 pounds base; or 2,000 pounds with 2.4L engine and FDII or tow group (engine oil cooler, etc)

So... I guess you were pushing the safe limit a little, but at least you weren't trying to haul a 5,000 lb. camping trailer up a very steep mountain or unearth 2-ton rocks, heheh

·
Registered
84 Posts
I remember hauling 5 large adults, an industrial tile saw, and several boxes of 12x12 porcelain tiles one time. Let's just say I know we were pushing that payload rating past 925 and the Jeep took it. Clutch, brakes, and tires didn't like it, but as you mentioned as long as you're not tearing it up on a freeway or driving like a madman you can probably eek by for a few miles without a problem. :)

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Since we are not talking about towing, you are looking for the GVWR.

The GVWR is the total allowable weight of your vehicle. This includes the weigh of your vehicle, the driver, passengers, cargo and trailer tongue weight. The total load must be limited so that you do not exceed the GVWR.

Note:
Trailer tongue weight is not to be confused with the weight of the trailer. It is the weight placed downward onto the trailer hitch in the event you have loaded up your Patriot and also have a trailer attached.

GVWR is roughly 1928 kg

VEHICLE LOADING
Front Seat Occupants 2
Rear Seat Occupants 3
Luggage 80 kg
Vehicle Rated Capacity 420 kg

·
Premium Member
544 Posts
The Ultrafloor spare tire cover is rated at 250 lbs. I was wondering if a piece of thick plywood cut to the right size would increase that to something reasonable.
I'd give it a try, but the "Ultra"floor feels hollow and that it might still crack on the surface? If it does, nothing a cargo mat wouldn't cover :smiley_thumbs_up:

Like jgg204 said, if you HAVE to go beyond the safe limit, try not to rat yourself out :doh:. The stuff on black and white is theory afterall, right?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts