Jeep Patriot Forums banner

61 - 77 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hello. I have a 2008 Jeep Patriot with 252 000 kms amd it's still going strong. I change the full synthetic oil and fram synthetic oil filter every 5-8 000 kms and it still looks like honey. You'd never know it has that many kms by looking at it. I've had friends ask me if it was a 2015 or newer.]

·
Super Moderator
8,571 Posts
Hello. I have a 2008 Jeep Patriot with 252 000 kms amd it's still going strong. I change the full synthetic oil and fram synthetic oil filter every 5-8 000 kms and it still looks like honey. You'd never know it has that many kms by looking at it. I've had friends ask me if it was a 2015 or newer.]
Which tranny?

·
Mopar or no car!!!
1,719 Posts
164k miles on my 2013 and holding strong... ish...

Waiting for my new throttle body to arrive in the mail at the moment... lol

Reactions: Earthworm51

·
Registered
62 Posts
I bought my Jeep Patriot new on 2008. Paid it off in 3 years and is still running strong. 206k miles at the moment. Only major repairs in 11 years have been 1 clutch replacement at 125k miles and an electrical short that cost me about 500 to fix. I have gone through 4 sets of tires and replaced pads and rotors 2 times.

I still have the lifetime power train warranty

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought my Jeep Patriot new on 2008. Paid it off in 3 years and is still running strong. 206k miles at the moment. Only major repairs in 11 years have been 1 clutch replacement at 125k miles and an electrical short that cost me about 500 to fix. I have gone through 4 sets of tires and replaced pads and rotors 2 times.

I still have the lifetime power train warranty

Hello,

Do you have the CVT tranny? That seems to be what a lot of people are having issues with, though it sounds like usually if they’re maintained they’re ok.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hello,

Do you have the CVT tranny? That seems to be what a lot of people are having issues with, though it sounds like usually if they’re maintained they’re ok.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have the 5 speed. Non CVT Tranny

·
Registered
55 Posts
I bought my 09 new and have had to use my lifetime powertrain warranty once. Right now at 97k, I question whether or not I should keep it as I need to replace brake booster, struts and Cooper tires are cupping. This can't be everything I've had to get done but from memory... Fixed the air conditioner, replaced horn wiring harness, clutch, brakes all around, wheel bearings and input shaft bearing.

·
Super Moderator
8,571 Posts
I bought my 09 new and have had to use my lifetime powertrain warranty once. Right now at 97k, I question whether or not I should keep it as I need to replace brake booster, struts and Cooper tires are cupping. This can't be everything I've had to get done but from memory... Fixed the air conditioner, replaced horn wiring harness, clutch, brakes all around, wheel bearings and input shaft bearing.
Always a tough decision, especially if you get attached to a vehicle. I sold my first Patriot (2008) to a friend because at 275,000 miles I wasn't sure of its reliability, and bought a 2nd gen Compass. Frankly, I miss the Patriot but we still have my Wife's Patriot (2014). Nothing wrong with the Compass, but my Patriot had proven faithful in some tough situations and really developed a lovable personality.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I wanna buy a 2011 Patriot with 65000 miles on it. I would like to know if I can get an additional 100000 miles out of it for a total of 165000 miles. Is this number too high of an expectation? Also, I have no clue how the vehicle was cared for for the first 65000 miles, but if I did buy it, I would regularly maintain it.
I have 103,000 on my 2016 Patriot, all I did was change oil, buy one set of new tires and replaced brakes. Now it’s time for a new clutch. Considering all the vehicles I’ve had in the past, I consider the Patriot to be highly underrated.

·
Registered
2015 Patriot North 4x4
1 Posts
I wanna buy a 2011 Patriot with 65000 miles on it. I would like to know if I can get an additional 100000 miles out of it for a total of 165000 miles. Is this number too high of an expectation? Also, I have no clue how the vehicle was cared for for the first 65000 miles, but if I did buy it, I would regularly maintain it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I think you could as long as you take care of it good. But every patriot is different. I have taken good care of mine and it’s a 2010 and hasn’t even hit 100,000 miles on it yet, almost. but my issues have been battery, alternator, brakes, tires, and recently had to get 2 new wheel bearings done and about to get another wheel bearing done friday. when i got the back 2 done, my mechanic found my back end rusted away and so i had to put over $1000 into it. so i’m just hoping on friday it’s just the one wheel bearing and there’s no more issues. only other issue is my gas tank (i can’t get a full tank or it stalls). i was planning on getting a new jeep in the summer but since i’ve put almost $2000 into it with new tires. i’m probably gonna have it one more year. i swear every january i’ve had this car, something happens with it lol. but i do love my patriot. it does really good with snow. my dad has a grand cherokee and he slid and missed a turn but my patriot didn’t miss the turn. i would think it could last 100,000 more miles or close to it

·
Super Moderator
8,571 Posts
I think you could as long as you take care of it good. But every patriot is different. I have taken good care of mine and it’s a 2010 and hasn’t even hit 100,000 miles on it yet, almost. but my issues have been battery, alternator, brakes, tires, and recently had to get 2 new wheel bearings done and about to get another wheel bearing done friday. when i got the back 2 done, my mechanic found my back end rusted away and so i had to put over $1000 into it. so i’m just hoping on friday it’s just the one wheel bearing and there’s no more issues. only other issue is my gas tank (i can’t get a full tank or it stalls). i was planning on getting a new jeep in the summer but since i’ve put almost $2000 into it with new tires. i’m probably gonna have it one more year. i swear every january i’ve had this car, something happens with it lol. but i do love my patriot. it does really good with snow. my dad has a grand cherokee and he slid and missed a turn but my patriot didn’t miss the turn. i would think it could last 100,000 more miles or close to it
I think you're right, You're probably good for another 100,000 miles.
Batteries are only good for about 5 years, maybe 6-7 if you're lucky, and some die sooner. Kinda like people. Some last longer than others. Alternator seems premature but often they fail in tandem with the battery because it works itself to death trying to keep the failing battery charged. Brakes and tires are normal maintenance items, somewhat related to speed and stop-n-go driving. Wheel bearings seem to be a 100,000 mile item -- in my case I've been a little luckier but I never corner hard because Patriots are jeeps not sports cars. I cornered hard with my Grand Prix and it felt great -- not so in a Patriot.

As for your rusty frame, if you are the original owner that repair may have been covered under the extended warranty that FCA offered. Because many Patriots had premature rust FCA extended the warranty up to 10 years. Maybe, only maybe, you might get reimbursement from FCA. Try reaching out to @JeepCares on this website.

Agreed, Patriots are great in the snow. Frankly my FWD Patriot is better in snow than my new Compass. The Compass might even have slightly better tires (studded General Altimax Artics) than the Patriot (studless Dunlop Grandtrek). That's neither a slam nor and endorsement on either of those tires -- they are both very good and I have no complaints.

I hope you and your Patriot continue to have a long happy relationship. I still miss my 2008. :cry: If I had it to do over again I kinda wish I'd found a lightly used Patriot but the deals on the new Compass were too good . . . or so I thought. I shouldda got what I wanted.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I think you're right, You're probably good for another 100,000 miles.
Batteries are only good for about 5 years, maybe 6-7 if you're lucky, and some die sooner. Kinda like people. Some last longer than others. Alternator seems premature but often they fail in tandem with the battery because it works itself to death trying to keep the failing battery charged. Brakes and tires are normal maintenance items, somewhat related to speed and stop-n-go driving. Wheel bearings seem to be a 100,000 mile item -- in my case I've been a little luckier but I never corner hard because Patriots are jeeps not sports cars. I cornered hard with my Grand Prix and it felt great -- not so in a Patriot.

As for your rusty frame, if you are the original owner that repair may have been covered under the extended warranty that FCA offered. Because many Patriots had premature rust FCA extended the warranty up to 10 years. Maybe, only maybe, you might get reimbursement from FCA. Try reaching out to @JeepCares on this website.

Agreed, Patriots are great in the snow. Frankly my FWD Patriot is better in snow than my new Compass. The Compass might even have slightly better tires (studded General Altimax Artics) than the Patriot (studless Dunlop Grandtrek). That's neither a slam nor and endorsement on either of those tires -- they are both very good and I have no complaints.

I hope you and your Patriot continue to have a long happy relationship. I still miss my 2008. :cry: If I had it to do over again I kinda wish I'd found a lightly used Patriot but the deals on the new Compass were too good . . . or so I thought. I shouldda got what I wanted.
How many miles does a battery typically last? Or does it really depend on driving frequency and actual age? My battery is stock as far as I'm aware, and the car is now ten years old and has 113k on the clock. A few annual services at the garage have stated before that the voltage or battery itself was marginally "weak" or "low" but the last time I was told that was over 2 years ago and the Jeep just keeps running! (Touch wood) Maybe the battery is Ok again. I was commuting 90 miles a day to and fro work for 2-3 years, until I bought my first house and moved out my parents. I was driving 20k per year then, now I'm only doing just under 8k per year.

My starter motor went at about 85k, which set me back a bit of dough, and was a bit of a shock....

Other than that, just brakes, tyres, general maintenance stuff. Oh and one wheel speed sensor years ago covered under warranty.

Been told by a mechanic I use who services my car now, that my control arms are "splitting" but not in urgent need of being replaced just yet. Suppose that'll be the next job.

Other than that, I may have a superrrrrrr slow leak in my water pump (coolant is relatively steady these days after previous problems) and my clutch is still squawking and I reckon will break sooner or later, but the jeep still goes! I'm really aiming for 200k with this car. Ambitious.....

·
Super Moderator
8,571 Posts
Ambitious.....
Ambitious? Not at all. I think that is a good goal. I think you can do better than that if you're willing to shell out a couple quid once in a while to keep it running good.

Battery life is a guess at best. I think time/age have more to do with longevity than miles. I've had two batteries last over 200,000 miles (2001 Pontiac and 2008 Patriot). Those were both about 7 years old when they died. I've also had some fail at 50-60,000 miles and 4-5 years.

·
Registered
Jeep Patriot North 2.4L, 4x2, 5 spd manual transmission . .
85 Posts
I bought a 2008 Pat 4x2 5 spd for 2K$ with 220K km on it, now, 226K km. I changed the spark plugs and my Pat idles now at 700rpm. (I've changed the front end suspension /shocks etc, brake job, and now a new transmission.)

61 - 77 of 77 Posts