Jeep Patriot Forums banner

41 - 60 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have 98,000 miles on my 2009 Jeep, things I've replaced so far is Rack and pinion And upper ball joints at 70,000 miles. Several speed sensors and the driveshaft "4 x 4" the undercarriage looks pretty good but the rear suspension is really really rusty! I just came on the website to see how to start replacing my own speed sensors since they cost $125 co-pay at the dealership. Next I have to buy a new gasket for the sunroof it's leaking more so than usual and you got to blow out the drain lines with a compressor regularly.

"I bought the extended warranty for $2000 best investment I could've made it already paid for itself"

·
Registered
250 Posts
i have the opposite problem...and still dont know what to do.

i bought a sport 2wd with few accessories in 2008....itching to upgrade to a more fulfilling vehicle....however, i only have 42k miles on it and its paid off.....really am lost as to what to do...lol
wonder how much i could sell it for with such low mileage

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm on my 3rd Patriot - first one was the first year (2007) lasted me 130k before I decided to bail (only issue was replacing control arms twice!), second one was a 2011, again, control arms, then I noticed slippage in the transmission and some other check engine type issues, so I decided to bail at 170k., so I'm thinking 150k before needing any serious work on average.

·
Super Moderator
8,568 Posts
I'm on my 3rd Patriot - first one was the first year (2007) lasted me 130k before I decided to bail (only issue was replacing control arms twice!), second one was a 2011, again, control arms, then I noticed slippage in the transmission and some other check engine type issues, so I decided to bail at 170k., so I'm thinking 150k before needing any serious work on average.
You may have dumped that 2011 prematurely. What I thought was transmission slip turned out to be my odd-sized tires confusing the ECM. It would give a complete pause in acceleration as if the engine quit for a couple RPMs. My first guess was the transmission, but after I got new tires the problem went away. (Transmission don't heal.)

Another possibility is bad plugs. Patriots only have 30,000 mile plugs. If you had 2 plugs misfire in sequence there would be a sudden but only instant loss of power -- could easily feel like slippage. If you're actually getting slippage you won't go more than a mile or so before its toast. A recurring problem suggests its not slippage. A check engine light might have been a clue to either the plugs or my tire theory -- ECM was confused and threw a code?

Agreed, 150,000 miles is the new 100,000. Most vehicles ought to make 150,000 with only routine maintenance and without significant repairs.

·
Administrator
5,970 Posts
I know this is an old thread but I am at 322000 miles.
Original engine and auto transmission
Wow, that's great!

Have you had any issues with it?

Edit: BTW, welcome to the forum.

·
Super Moderator
8,568 Posts
I know this is an old thread but I am at 322000 miles.
Original engine and auto transmission
Welcome to the forum. You inspire me! Please tell us more about your Patriot. What year, engine, and as Sandstone asked, what issues have you had?

Last question, how'd you get so many miles? Fantastic commute? Sales rep on the road? (I racked up most of my miles doing both, plus bittersweet visits to my late Father in another state).

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a 2008 2.4L fwd CVT. Just last week the CVT got replaced for the first time under warranty with 204,000 miles on it. I really thought FCA would try to find a way not to honor the warranty but they replaced the tranny with no hassle what so ever.
In the 204k miles I've replaced the alternator, Front lower ball joints, valve cover gasket set, serp belt once, plugs 3 times, 3 sets of tires, and rear suspension bushings. That's it. My second lifetime warranty inspection is due April 2018 and it won't be my last.

I'll own this MK until the body disintegrates. Parts are cheap, it's easy to work on, and it's perfect for what I use it for.

·
Super Moderator
8,568 Posts
I have a 2008 2.4L fwd CVT. Just last week the CVT got replaced for the first time under warranty with 204,000 miles on it. I really thought FCA would try to find a way not to honor the warranty but they replaced the tranny with no hassle what so ever.
In the 204k miles I've replaced the alternator, Front lower ball joints, valve cover gasket set, serp belt once, plugs 3 times, 3 sets of tires, and rear suspension bushings. That's it. My second lifetime warranty inspection is due April 2018 and it won't be my last.

I'll own this MK until the body disintegrates. Parts are cheap, it's easy to work on, and it's perfect for what I use it for.
If you have the lifetime warranty, the only thing to worry about is the ol' tinworm. In Michigan I presume they use lots of road salt? The roads around here are white even after the snowstorms is over, just for a different reason.

·
Unsponsored Baja racer
4,566 Posts
Yeah, Michigan uses plenty of salt, one of the more deadly(to vehicles) salt compounds from what I hear. And in some areas we even get sand for traction.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mine is a 2008 and has 160xxx. Runs great but does have multiple issues related to being wrecked before I bought it. I really don't think it has needed anything normal. lol I've changed the spark plugs, it needs some wear and tear stuff done now. Probably needs the belts changed. But runs strong with this many miles. I will drive her till she dies! (Personally don't think it's too much longer)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am the original owner of my 2008 Jeep Patriot and it currently has 94k miles on it. Everything ran great (regular maintenance and no off-roading) until about 90k miles. After that, it's been a real crap-shoot. I've replaced the clutch, master cylinder, front and back struts, tie rods, control arms, and wheel sensors. It creaks and shudders in 4th gear (manual trans) and has some kind of currently undiagnosed electrical issue. I guess ten years is a decent amount of time to own a car, but I would like to get at least another 30k out of it without spending $2k on a car barely worth $2,500.00.
Just my two cents and with that being said, I'd never buy a brand new car again.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2011 Patriot Latitude with 175K. Our trans blew at 59K, replaced it as well as the clutch at the same time. The mechanic just told me the engine cradle is rusted and haas holes in it. The question is should we repair the cradle or replace the Patriot?

·
Administrator
5,970 Posts
I have a 2011 Patriot Latitude with 175K. Our trans blew at 59K, replaced it as well as the clutch at the same time. The mechanic just told me the engine cradle is rusted and haas holes in it. The question is should we repair the cradle or replace the Patriot?
Hi Tom, welcome.

Since you have a 2011, the rusted cradle may be covered under the extended warranty.
https://www.jeeppatriot.com/forum/5...xtended-warranty-front-rear-crossmembers.html

I'd PM JeepCares with your VIN and see if they can get you some help with it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello,

I know this is an older threat but I've been looking up info on the Jeep Patriot and found this forum. I bought my 2016 Jeep Patriot Sport FWD with basic automatic CVT tranny and very basic interior new at the local Jeep Dealership. I would really like to have a 4x4 but I don't know if it's worth it. I've also worried about the reliability on the Patriot since I have seen a lot of people say they have problems. Do you think a Patriot with a CVT is still reliable enough to keep? And would it do for basic driving up in the hills without it being a 4x4? I currently have just under 14k miles on it.I live in Norther California so I wouldn't plan on running around in the mud, but just wondering if it would handle better than a car if there was rain or snow? Are there any improvements that can be made to a FWD to make it somewhat off road worthy?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Attachments

·
Administrator
5,970 Posts
Hello,

I know this is an older threat but I've been looking up info on the Jeep Patriot and found this forum. I bought my 2016 Jeep Patriot Sport FWD with basic automatic CVT tranny and very basic interior new at the local Jeep Dealership. I would really like to have a 4x4 but I don't know if it's worth it. I've also worried about the reliability on the Patriot since I have seen a lot of people say they have problems. Do you think a Patriot with a CVT is still reliable enough to keep? And would it do for basic driving up in the hills without it being a 4x4? I currently have just under 14k miles on it.I live in Norther California so I wouldn't plan on running around in the mud, but just wondering if it would handle better than a car if there was rain or snow? Are there any improvements that can be made to a FWD to make it somewhat off road worthy?

First, welcome!

CVT's can give good reliable service. The biggest issue is whining/overheating/limp mode. There are several posts on this issue. Aside from mechanical damage or part failure, changing the transmission fluid and filters usually takes care of this, and another transmission cooler can be added to increase cooling if needed.
I recommend changing the factory filters and fluid no later than 30k, then every 30-50k miles after depending on how hard you drive and in what conditions.

FWD Patriots can be very capable for what they are. If you need to improve off-road performance, usually the easiest thing to do is upgrade the tires.

Here's a thread you might find interesting:
https://www.jeeppatriot.com/forum/3...on/112589-how-far-youve-got-your-pat-4x2.html

·
Super Moderator
8,568 Posts
Hello,

I'm totally with Sandstone on the CVT maintenance. My first CVT never had the fluid changed and failed at 110,000. I changed the fluid every 50,000 in the replacement and it went to 270,000 miles. It may have gone longer but when it was replaced my dealer said it was low on fluid. I'd also had a tranny leak fixed previously. There's no dipstick on the tranny but I've read where some have installed one. You can check out the threads on that. Try using the search box at the right end of the green menu bar above.

I've also had conventional A/Ts fail in the 50-60,000 mile range, and another made it almost to 250,000. So in my experience a CVT or a conventional have about the same life expectancy. Its a crap shoot.

Do you need 4wd on hills? Not sure what you're asking. I'm inferring snow. If you're on dry asphalt 4wd is totally unnecessary; if you're on gravel or dirt, it depends on the grade and if you have momentum. I don't do much off-roading, but in the few experiences I've had, my FWD Patriot did all I needed it to.

As for snow, I'm a FWD fan. With good dedicated snow tires a Patriot should take you where you need to go. Don't fall for an all-season tire (read that 'three-season' tire) if you're planning on driving in real snow. IMO, a Patriot is better in snow than any other FWD vehicles I've had.

41 - 60 of 76 Posts