Jeep Patriot Forums banner

21 - 40 of 203 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
So it seems everyone here is getting way better mileage than I am getting.

Do anyone know why or what I can do to improve it? I'm now at 4000km, and have never gone over about 380km on a tank of gas. I do 80% or more highway driving.

The dealership keeps telling me my engine has to "break in" and that takes either 5000km or up to 15000km, depending on who is working that day at the dealership.

·
Registered
76 Posts
If you drive at 120KM/H or more on the hwy, 380KM on a tank sounds about right.

The patriot has the aerodynamics of a brick.

·
Fossilized Member
1,792 Posts
I am getting about 400km per tank, I do 60/40 mix of city to highway driving and highway driving is mostly 407/427 (so 120kmh typical).

Some stats:

central Ontario highway driving (Hwy 11, 12, 400) = 9.5 l/100km
all city driving (Toronto/Mississauga/Brampton) = 12.8 l/100km

I could probably do better if I pussyfooted more. On the 407, if you do not do more than 110 in the slow lane, they pass you on the shoulder and flip you the bird. [grumble]

·
Registered
59 Posts
My dealer said the first 3 tanks wouldn't realize the optimal fuel efficiency, not to use the same gas over & over (mix it up with different brands ie: shell, acro, etc), and not to drive the same everywhere (do some street, some freeway, some slow & some fast). My high was 23.8 & my low was 21.9 for the first 400 mi, right now I'm at 22.2 according to my in-dash thing. :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
:doh::doh::doh::doh:
Remember folks it is not good to run your tank low all the time, very hard on the extremely expensive fuel pump assembly as it depends on the fuel to cool the pump.
That a good one. As a mecanic ,i never read or heard something somewhere about that. Just a thought

·
Registered
13 Posts
An interesting thread... I have a 2007 Limited Trail Rated FDII/CVT2. About 5000 km on the odometer. I tend to fill up as soon as the gas light goes on out of fear of doing damage to the fuel pump. Pushing your luck does not save you on any gas... I get about 420 km per tank, usually about 41 to 42 L. About 50% highway driving. Typical highway speed between 110 and 130 km/h; and yes, I have had my first unrequested photo in the mail.

I love my Patriot and am very happy with it.

See you out there...

·
Registered
13 Posts
just picked up my CRD Ltd today

has under 1/2 a tank - brand new getting 9.0 per 100k so should get about 550-600 k per tank till the engine wears in then should be closer to 750-800k

will let you know how it goes

PS the car is a gem ...so smooth and so much grunt just glides up and down hills
You are very lucky to be able to get the Patriot as a CRD... Here in North America, the Grand Cherokee is the only Jeep available as a Turbo Diesel. Fortunately Chrysler has announced that they are spending significant money to expand their CRD series here as well. The Liberty was available as a CRD but that was pulled as it did not meet the Californian standards.

I am eagerly awaiting the Commander CRD as that will be my next new vehicle. I am always so jealous (with John Lennon playing in the background) when I get to Europe and Africa and see all the diesel models available there! Obviously these models are also available DownUnder!!!

Enjoy your CRD!!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
:doh::doh::doh::doh:

That a good one. As a mecanic ,i never read or heard something somewhere about that. Just a thought
Not one to argue with a mechanic... and not saying you are wrong.

Speaking as a process engineer, I know you are looking for trouble when running any pump without fluid going through it as the fluid typically acts as coolant as well. A pump that is running without fluid generally overheats and could lead to premature failure. Now, I agree that the fuel pump is a bit smaller, and you probably need to run it for some time before you would do any significant damage, but I simply don't believe it to be good practice, and my car has to do another 295 000 km... ;-)

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
I got 449 kms last tank. I have 2000kms on Jeep. About 80% highway on last tank.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Lucky you.

I now have 9500km on my Jeep, and I average about 350km per tank, and I drive it until the light comes on. I don't have the computer thing to tell me exactly how many L per 100Km i'm getting. Its roughly around 12-14L per 100KM.

My fiances 2003 jetta 1.8T, which is also a 4 cyclinder, 180 horsepower, a million times faster, get way better mileage.

My 2004 BMW 325i which has 186hp inline v6 get 10.1 L per 100km for the same driving as I do now with the jeep.

i bought the jeep because i'm in sales and on the road a lot and was tired of putting so many KM on my BMW. The sales people assured me the patriot would get much better gas mileage than my BMW, being a 4 cyclinder, slow as hell, and all.

Obviously they were wrong.

Plus, with getting such bad mileage, don't you think they could put a bigger tank in the jeep? 350km isn't very far...i'm at a gas station every 2nd day!

I plan on driving from Toronto to my parents place in Denver, Colorado in March when it's my fiance's march break (she's a teacher) and i'm worried about it now with the jeep. There are really long stretches of no gas stations between here and Denver. I would constantly be worried about running out of gas. I would have to stop at virtually every station to ensure I don't get stuck on one of the long stretches without gas.

·
Fossilized Member
1,792 Posts
Baggio: Do you have a Trail Rated version with the CVT2L tranny? If yes, then that is part of the problem - way more revs at drive time and the final axle ratio sits around 4.12.

I was 350kms on my last tank. I have a Limited with FDII and CVT2L. Less than stellar gas mileage but I refused to read *my* vehicle's sticker and insisted on remembering a 4X2 vehicle's sticker. Grrrr. I got what I paid for.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
no, it's not trail rated..but it is a 4x4 with CVT

46Litres of gas went into the jeep, and it went 299KM....this is just horrible.

And if gas mileage is to be so bad, why didn't they put a bigger tank in the Jeep?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Last tank 259km, filled up 45l. After filling up my EVIC went up to show 25l/100km!!! Should have gotten something with a HEMI V8 to get better mileage! Taking the Patriot to the dealer next week, extremely disappointed with the mileage.

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
410 km on last tank - 50% city. Now has 2800kms on it

·
Registered
353 Posts
Bad mileage

I am surprised by the bad mileage. I don't have a calculator handy to translate into l/km for you but I am getting 31.5mpg and get approximately 350-360 miles on a tank down to the light. Mileage was better during break-in with the first 5 tanks averaging 33.6mpg although that was summer driving and it is some 50 degrees F colder here now.

Sport 5spd 4x4

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hey Baggio,

I can feel your pain! I went from a heavily modified 2002 VW Jetta 1.8T with at least 550km /tank (55L) compared to a crappy 475km/tank for the Patriot! bahhh

·
Registered
47 Posts
2008 4x2 2.4L CVT 3400mi

i average 21-22 MPG no matter how much i try to drive conservatively.. and i am hoping go get around 25mpg.. (seems impossilbe)

21 - 40 of 203 Posts
About this Discussion
202 Replies
134 Participants
5speed
Jeep Patriot Forums
Join our community to discuss the Jeep Patriot & Jeep Compass. Find answers to all your Jeep Patriot technical questions.
Full Forum Listing