Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the weather in Scotland consisting of rain, snow and sleet right now it's almost impossible to keep my stone white PAT clean, particularly the rear end which is almlost contsantly filthy!

I'm now considering mud guards but do they make much of a difference?

Also, where can I get them a bit cheaper than a JEEP dealer?

Thanks in advance,

Martin

·
Registered
673 Posts
Mud flaps do make a big difference. There are two different models made by Jeep. The molded ones and non-molded ones. I am not familiar with aftermarket models. I have the molded ones and they work great. There are two drawbacks to consider if you are purchasing the molded ones that I have. 1) there is a concave 'cavity' that is formed by the 'molded' design. This tends to fill with snow and mud. It can be a pain if you drive in the snow/mud and then park in the garage and it melts and makes a mess. This may or may not be an issue for you. 2) the molded guards are pretty rigid. They are not too far off the ground and can be damaged if you are driving over rough terrain and the guard bottoms out. It could possible tweak your bumper since the guards are pretty well secured to the bumper. Just some things to consider.

Attachments

·
Registered
511 Posts
I have the Stone White Patriot also. I also have the hard molded mudflaps like the ones shown in the pervious post. I use them in the summer when it is easier to keep the Patriot clean, because I also like to keep it clean. During the winter I take them off because it reduces the ground clearance by about 2.5 inches, and if the snow is high enough the solid mudflap will drag in the snow. Plus, during the winter it is hard to keep the Patriot clean what with the salt on the roads and my garden hose being frozen. During the winter I sort of give up on keeping it clean for about 4 months. And then in the Spring I will put the mudflaps back on and they will keep it clean a little longer along the door-panels and the back of the rear fender, but if it is dirt you are driving on dust and grit will always be on the rear side of you ride with or without mudflaps.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the detailed responses guys, much appreciated. If I invest in a set I'll probably remove them in snowy conditions...is this easy enough to do?

Martin

·
Registered
511 Posts
Each mudflap has 5 screws. The 3 screws in the wheel well are philips head, you will need a short philips screwdriver as to not hit the tire. 2 screws on the bottom of the mudflap are removed by using a small adjustable wrench. They are not hard to take off or put on, put for some reason the screws are long so it will take you about 5 minutes per flap. Maybe shorter, it took me that long because the screws are long and when I take the mud flaps off I reinstall the screws so that the holes don't fill up with mud and grit.

·
POTM November 2008
8,921 Posts
I agree, the molded ones, do collect snow in the cavity. I've considered covering it or filling it in.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Mud flaps do make a big difference. There are two different models made by Jeep. The molded ones and non-molded ones. I am not familiar with aftermarket models. I have the molded ones and they work great. There are two drawbacks to consider if you are purchasing the molded ones that I have. 1) there is a concave 'cavity' that is formed by the 'molded' design. This tends to fill with snow and mud. It can be a pain if you drive in the snow/mud and then park in the garage and it melts and makes a mess. This may or may not be an issue for you. 2) the molded guards are pretty rigid. They are not too far off the ground and can be damaged if you are driving over rough terrain and the guard bottoms out. It could possible tweak your bumper since the guards are pretty well secured to the bumper. Just some things to consider.
I have the Stone White Patriot also. I also have the hard molded mudflaps like the ones shown in the pervious post. I use them in the summer when it is easier to keep the Patriot clean, because I also like to keep it clean. During the winter I take them off because it reduces the ground clearance by about 2.5 inches, and if the snow is high enough the solid mudflap will drag in the snow. Plus, during the winter it is hard to keep the Patriot clean what with the salt on the roads and my garden hose being frozen. During the winter I sort of give up on keeping it clean for about 4 months. And then in the Spring I will put the mudflaps back on and they will keep it clean a little longer along the door-panels and the back of the rear fender, but if it is dirt you are driving on dust and grit will always be on the rear side of you ride with or without mudflaps.
Ditto and Ditto.

Great in the summer, But when reversing in the snow I find myself worrying about the flaps in case they snap off

·
Registered
12,876 Posts
I put on some mudflaps I had laying around, originally from Zeibart. I bet I've had them about 20 years or more. They are pretty standard flaps, and I had to cut them a bit to fit, but they are also flexible, so no worries about hitting the ground and rocks, which they do often. I don't remove them, and I have no problems in the snow, or off road.

All I did was make a template with a piece of cardboard to mark where to cut them to fit, and where the screws were. Cut the flaps to fit, and used the screws that were already there to attach them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts