Jeep Patriot Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2016 jeep patriot latitude, it's supposed to be 4wd but I can't find a switch or lever, I used the Vin num to check and it says 4wd. I saw where it's supposed to be by the e brake but it's not

· Administrator
8,786 Posts
Hi, welcome to the forums.

If you have 4x4, then you should have a silver 4x4 switch in the console, if no switch then you have front wheel drive.

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design Bumper

You can also check under the vehicle and look for a drive shaft that goes from the back of the engine to the rear differential. If you don't have this then it's FWD.

Motor vehicle Vehicle Wheel Automotive exterior Automotive design

· Administrator
8,786 Posts
Also, I'm not sure which VIN check system you used, but you can get a factory build sheet using your VIN here:

· Unsponsored Baja racer
4,951 Posts
If you even have it, it's an AWD/4x4 hybrid. The switch locks it in 50-50 below 35mph, otherwise it's gonna be FWD unless it detects slipping or hard acceleration.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you guys!! I was able to look it up and it is fwd. I bought it from a dealer online and they said it was 4wd, I've been trying to figure out why I couldn't find a lever now I know, thank you

· Administrator
2014 2.0 5-spd FWD
9,392 Posts
Welcome to the site @Dkellems! Not to worry, FWD is quite capable under most circumstances. I could tell you stories! I and others have posted them in the 4x2 forum. Just give your Patriot good tires and don't fall for the pitch about all-season tires.

That said, if your Bill of Sale says it was 4wd you might have some recourse against the dealer. At least get some adjustment.

· Administrator
2014 2.0 5-spd FWD
9,392 Posts
Many people think all Jeeps are 4wd and so they took advantage of you selling you something you assumed it had.

On the bright side, FWD gets better fuel economy! If you aren't doing severe off-roading or driving on unplowed roads, you're better off w/out 4wd. :)

· Registered
176 Posts
I disagree, they corner differently without the AWD. They want to understeer/plow if you give them throttle in the turn, as FWD vehicles tend to.
Plus, nothing like the feeling on pulling it into 4WD mode on a day with a fresh foot of snowfall and punching the gas in an empty parking lot. Just watch out for light poles and parking bumpers... 🤣 Just something about doing donuts with all 4 wheels spinning.

· Registered
176 Posts
I took out a shopping cart once, but it was white-out conditions and some shopper had just abandoned it in the middle of the lot. :LOL: I wasn't horsing around, I was going to work as a vendor in that store.
Ouch! At least if you were horsing around and doing donuts, you'd at least had some fun doing it.:mad:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts