Jeep Patriot Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for help as I travel regularly across the Channel and need to disable the Patriot alarm so it doesn't go off every time the ship goes over a wave.

Having spent ages trying to solve the puzzle and had little help from my dealer, the problem is this: If I follow the handbook and manually push the buttons on the 3 doors, finally locking the passenger door with the key (Jeep couldn't be bothered to right hand the keyhole!), the cabin doors are locked and the alarm off - BUT the tailgate isn't locked, so anyone can get into the vehicle.

I have seen instructions to disable the interior motion sensors by pressing the lock button 3 times during the arming process, but does this mean that the alarm won't go off in rough seas?

If anyone can help I would be very grateful - I don't like to think it is my car keeping everyone awake on the ferry!!

· Registered
285 Posts
I've done a few trips across the North Sea (taking motorcycle though) and the ferry operator tells everyone not to lock/alarm the vehicle for this reason.

Is this not the case across the channel then?

(Sorry can't help with disabling the alarm)

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Scoops1972 - thanks for getting back - I've been offline for a few days.

To clarify, I don't really know whether my alarm goes off on the ferry, as passengers are not allowed on the car deck, but I know that lots of alarms do and I wanted to make sure that my Patriot wasn't one of them. The manual doesn't specify whether the alarm has a jaw sensor or not, but I know that my other car (an Alfa GT) does, as did my previous BMWs. if it has no such movement sensor then there is no problem - it's just frustrating that getting an answer to what seems a simple question is quite difficult! You would think the dealer would know - I have to take the car in for some warranty work tomorrow so I will try to get an answer from them again.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Dane,

Every cross-Channel ferry I have been on has asked for alarms to be turned off. In most cases, turning the key in the lock without pressing the alarm fob does this, but not on my Patriot. Going to try to get an answer from the dealer again & if I get a definitive reply I will post it here.

· Premium Member
4,677 Posts
Its a hassle, but you could pop the hood and disconnect the battery or maybe pull a fuse and lock the doors manually

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using AutoGuide App

· Registered
173 Posts
We encountered a similar problem on the ferry last year so I

1. set the Jeep to open only the driver side door with the key fob (can be done via the OBC),
2. I then opened the passenger side manually from inside by lifting the lock up
3. entered passenger side to lock the driver side manually pushing down the door lock
4. and then exited and locked the passenger side with the key :)

It worked and meant the boot was locked too. Hope this helps even though it is a pain to do!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.