Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dealer sent me a 3 MB video file of rust "damage" to my 2013 Pat Sport (~ 46,000 miles). I couldn't load the video file so captured the four corners from the video - they're kind of fuzzy as a result. I've read a few threads here about the dreaded frame-rot of some of the earlier Pats. I crawled under the car and tapped the rust areas - seemed like "paint" chipped off but I didn't find any perforations. Not sure just how bad this might be. The rest of the car - body/paint, 2.0 engine, CVT, interior, tires/brakes, etc - is in great shape so would hate to junk her but don't want to invest car-value money (~$6450) into fixing it. I understand it's tough to give a good idea of what this might entail looking at just pictures of the four corners. But can anyone give me a rough measure of what I might be facing in the way of $$$ to fix. In the hundreds? In the thousands? Am I actually better off getting a newer vehicle and letting this one go off to the sunset?

RR Quarter.jpg LR Quarter.jpg RF Quarter.jpg LF Quarter.jpg

·
Super Moderator
8,662 Posts
I've seen prices on here in the $1400 range for this sort of frame repair. Trouble is, there may be other things that are pretty well worn. It might be wise to fix those things while it's apart rather than pay for redundant labor as those other parts fail.

Personally, I like to keep a vehicle running as long as I can.

·
Super Moderator
8,662 Posts
Your vehicle is less than 10 years old. Are you the original owner? If so, you might be covered by the extended warranty. Maybe reach out to @JeepCares. Have your VIN number for them.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info Ignatz. I too like to keep vehicles a long time. I've owned this one only 3 years - it was a rental and registered up north most of its life. Doubt mine would be helped by the warranty since I'm not the original owner. A couple thousand wouldn't be too hard to swallow since it is well below book value of the vehicle. Repairing a vehicle is usually much cheaper than buying a new (or newer but pre-owned) vehicle. I like this Pat and hope I can keep it on the road a good long time yet. But, when repair costs exceed ownership/value then I start looking toward the replacement process.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Put a good coat of fluid film over everything and then replace parts as needed. That'll stop it getting worse and buy you time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Seeing as you are in FL, I'm not surprised the mechanic is panicking over the rust. They don't know what real rust looks like. Up here in the north, that ain't nuthin'.
I would get at it with a wire brush and some rust converter, followed by paint. Fluid Film wouldn't hurt.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts