Jeep Patriot Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where is the horn relay location?

I have a horn which is possessed. Honks now and then, normally at night ... lol

So, I guess it's time to throw some parts at it ...

Culprits, in their order of pricing, low to high ...

1. Horn Relay ?
2. Horn itself ?
3. Horn clock spring ?
4. Something else ???

Where is the horn relay located??? Not in the owners manual :mad:

· Premium Member
3,365 Posts
I'd vote for the horn clock spring--it may have lost tension....but, I "believe" that the relay is actually an electronic circuit on the confuser...check for loose connections, not that I know where the electrical panel is either!

· Registered
591 Posts
A while back my horn stopped working. While trying to diagnose it, I read that our Patriots don't have a horn fuse or relay. I'm not 100% positive if that's true...I finally got mine working by whacking the horn with a wrench, lol.

· Premium Member
3,365 Posts
A while back my horn stopped working. While trying to diagnose it, I read that our Patriots don't have a horn fuse or relay. I'm not 100% positive if that's true...I finally got mine working by whacking the horn with a wrench, lol.
See, it IS the clock spring mechanism...

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've seen various posts on the net, some saying the 2010 Patriot has no relays while others saying there are relays. So, that certainly has me puzzled. Those claiming no relays whatsoever seem pretty convinced and those who claim there are relays indicate they have replaced them ...

While poking around the engine bay yesterday, there are in fact a cluster of relays down by the horn, on the driver's side, sort of behind the fog light housing, catty-corner from the horn. Having said that, I have no earthly clue what those relays go to. Looks like 4 or so. I will take a picture this evening.

So, having said the above, those folks who claim the 2010 Patriot has no relays must be off base on that one.

I just don't want to get involved in the Stealership practices of swapping out parts.

I've ruled out the horn since that makes no sense to swap out. Something is energizing the horn and the horn itself only sounds when energized.

The "clock spring" looks like a PITA to swap out and it's sort of pricey ... $150-ish.

Hoping there are some relay(s) since that would be the quickest, easiest, and cheapest.

Overall, my daughter likes the Patriot but their track record has me leaning towards a new vehicle purchase .... 2010 with less than 60K on the clock but already getting a cluster of problems every few months ...

· Registered
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport
5,468 Posts
For some reason jeep integrated this into the TIPM without a direct fuse or relay for repairs. However there is no reason one couldn't wire in their own external relay if that's the only malfunction in the TIPM. You would have to find the signal wire from the horn button and use that to trigger a standard bosch style relay and put the horn on the switch side through a added fused wire.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts