Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got the idea from bayer's thread and modified it to my liking. I started 3/4" coduit that I bought 4 10' sticks of conduit localy for $4.50 per stick. I didn't have a conduit bender so I rented one from the store for $8.00. I made two 90 degree bends on each piece. The bottom of the rack was made longer than the top for a slight angle on the front of the rack. Then welded together.

I then had 10 pieces of 3/16" metal cut to 4" x 6". I then cut holes in the center of all of them with a 2 1/4" hole saw. These are my supports for the top and bottom pieces. I spaced them all out equally and welded on.

I then took 1/2" conduit and made the bottom of the rack out of that.

Also welded tabs on for offroad lights and also tabs for mounting. I originaly made it to fit in my oven for powder coating but made a mistake and was too big after welding the mounting tabs on. So I sprayed the whole rack with spray on bedliner. I made this rack so it can be easily removed. I havn't hooked the lights up yet but I will use a 2 Pin Weatherpack connector close the the rack so I can unplug the lights when I want to remove the rack. I think it turned out good and a plus is that my wife likes it too.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Nice work! What exactly do you plan on carrying up there? What would you suspect the load weight is for that? How flimsy is the conduit? Want to make me one? :p

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice work! What exactly do you plan on carrying up there? What would you suspect the load weight is for that? How flimsy is the conduit? Want to make me one? :p
I mainly am going to use it for trips. I have to kids now and a third on the way so there will be quite a bit of luggage. I would say the load weight is whatever Jeep says the stock roof bars are rated for. The conduit is quite strong. I went and hung on the front of the rack where the overhang is know that it could hold more weight. I weigh 165 lbs. As for building an other I presume I will not have the time in the next few weeks with the new addition. I do have one more project to build so stay tuned...

Oooooo a tease this is like some hack morning radio show!

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
very nice! I'm sickly jealous that you have a welder.

I've always wanted a welder in my garage. His name would be Bob.

the engineer in me thinks these tabs are not strong enough. At a minimum, they should be welded around the radius of the conduit as well as at the end. You're call though - it's your stuff up there.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
...Aaaand there's that full-size safari rack I've been talking about! :smiley_thumbs_up: Now, how much for one and shipping it to Finland? :)

It might be better to tilt it slightly so the front end is a tad lower, but even with a slightly tilted to the rear look, I think it looks good! Much better than a short basket that stops at the forward end of the side rails.

·
Sept 2009 POTM
2,915 Posts
Well done koolkat.
Stuff like that is always the excuse to get more tools. If I did that, could I justify getting a welder for my garage?

BTW - I think Heckler is right on the tab. You're putting alot of forces through that one (x4) weld. Fully loaded and driving down the freeway at 75mph, the wind, vibration, etc. get pretty significant.

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
Assuming the roof has no curvature, would acquiring an additional cross bar to tab off of help?

·
POTM Winner AUG. 09.
4,679 Posts
Nice Job!! I just wish I had your skills & patience---!!! Oh & for what its worth I gave you some Rep points!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
My Pat didn't come with cross bars. Would it be better to go to a dealer or ebay? Are a Cherokee's crossbars compatible?

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all the comments and rep points. I think I will take the advice on the tabs. I think they would be fine, but why take chances when I can easily do it all myself and recoat it.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
...Aaaand there's that full-size safari rack I've been talking about! :smiley_thumbs_up: Now, how much for one and shipping it to Finland? :)

It might be better to tilt it slightly so the front end is a tad lower, but even with a slightly tilted to the rear look, I think it looks good! Much better than a short basket that stops at the forward end of the side rails.
When I built it I thought about curving it with the roof but thought it might look bent, so I didn't.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well done koolkat.
Stuff like that is always the excuse to get more tools. If I did that, could I justify getting a welder for my garage?

Hey any reason to get more tools. You can never have enough tools, unless the people that surround you are tools, then its just the opposite.

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
Thanks for all the comments and rep points. I think I will take the advice on the tabs. I think they would be fine, but why take chances when I can easily do it all myself and recoat it.
Do it. Otherwise it will be a pain explaining to the wife why her suitcase happens to have been the one that flew off the roof and opened up in flight and spread her intimate clothing all over the road!

FEAR THE WHIRLWIND FRYING PAN!

·
Sept 2009 POTM
2,915 Posts
Do it. Otherwise it will be a pain explaining to the wife why her suitcase happens to have been the one that flew off the roof and opened up in flight and spread her intimate clothing all over the road!

FEAR THE WHIRLWIND FRYING PAN!
I have seen that happen before Kahbrohn. It is definitely not a pretty site, and would be made even worse if it was the wife's 'stuff' all over the freeway.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts