Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Mopar, Yakima, and Thule baskets are all so expensive, so i decided to make my own. Materials used are 3/4' conduit, some flat stock and 16ga. sheet steel. Would have prefered aluminum but i have (dad has) a mig, so conduit was simpler. Almost 60 feet of conduit was used, for a total weight of about 30-35 lbs. 70' of conduit and 12 feet of flat stock cost $60 from lowes.

This is the only build pic i have for right now. Still under construction. Ill post pics of how i mount it, as i dont have crosssbars. Any suggestions? I was thinking something with U-Bolts.....?

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Creative. I like the concept of having somebody to sue if there is a problem.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hope you are gonna paint it cause it sure it gonna rust....
Looks good BTW
yessirr.... its not finished. i have to fab up a way to mount it tomorrow, brace a little better, and put a fairing on the slanted front. Then primer and leftover BBQ paint. Or eastwoods Chassis paint. Not sure yet

·
The Custom Guy
688 Posts
Very nice man. My dad has a Mig too with a Tig attachment. Ive been wanting to fab up something like that too. Looks great man. Even though it would be more expensive, seeing that you saved a ton of money making it yourself, why not get it powdercoated. It will last a lot longer, and imo, look great. A nice textured black powdercoat will do wonders.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Damn thats a good idea! I may just have to take that idea and run with it should I ever want a rack for mine (when I get it... come on Saturday!)

If you are going to settle for paint rather than powder coat, look into getting some POR15. You might even want to think about getting it sprayed with a truck bed liner, although I dunno what that would run you.

Jamie

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Sweet! I've been looking at the steel and PVC pipes at Canadian tire with the same thing in mind, but without a welder it's going to look like ****e. Nice work!

I'd go for a powdercoat on that for sure, and get proper cross bars.

·
POTM November 2008
8,921 Posts
Man! You are and artist with the conduit bender. Nice looking unit.

I must make something to safely haul a few sheets of 4x8 wood. As expensive as gas is getting, I hate to drive the pickup if I don't need the extra weight capacity. Town is 40 miles away. That is $10 by Patriot round trip, $24 for a J-10 round trip. I like the conduit construction. Thanks for posting that up.

·
Registered
962 Posts
When i first read the title, i thought to myself "Oh no, its gonna look like.."

And then i started reading, and thought again "Oh no, its gonna look like..."

Then i finally saw the picture and i was like :banana::smiley_thumbs_up::D

Great work! I like MIG welding, unfortunately I dont have access to one anymore. I would definitly get it powdercoated to preserve it and to prevent any of those horrible rust stains to happen on your new Patriot!

·
Registered
618 Posts
that look great! nice job. Any plans for a grill guard in the future? you'd make some good money selling them it sounds like from this forum

·
Registered
13 Posts
If you go to ebay and type in "JEEP PATRIOT RENEGADE HARDWARE FOR ROOF BASKET" you can buy the factory mounts for there basket only $12.00 plus shipping.

What you have built looks great I wish I could weld. I need a basket.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you go to ebay and type in "JEEP PATRIOT RENEGADE HARDWARE FOR ROOF BASKET" you can buy the factory mounts for there basket only $12.00 plus shipping.

Anyone know exactly what part this it? I will be making the mount myself to the stock luggage rack, possibly getting crossbars, im not sure. But some insight as to what this is would be helpful../

·
Registered
22 Posts
Great job!! How about some measurements? That sure would save me some time.My winch came in yesterday,lift kit should be here Friday. I Parkinson's Disease so it takes me allot longer doing things but i still love to do my own work (as long as I don't have to get on a ladder!!!) I'll start fabing a which bumper mount shortly and will put some pics on the site when i learn how to do it.
again great job

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Great job!! How about some measurements? That sure would save me some time.My winch came in yesterday,lift kit should be here Friday. I Parkinson's Disease so it takes me allot longer doing things but i still love to do my own work (as long as I don't have to get on a ladder!!!) I'll start fabing a which bumper mount shortly and will put some pics on the site when i learn how to do it.
again great job
Of course. Im at work until late tonight, probably have them up tomorrow or the next day.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
I am not knocking your work it is great, but my black widow basket was $99 and came with hardware and is powder coated.

My question is just regarding cost effectiveness. How much is the total when you include what you spent on paint and mounting hardware?

In the end you have the pride though of knowing you made it yourself.

·
Registered
340 Posts

Item number: 230125343150

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I am not knocking your work it is great, but my black widow basket was $99 and came with hardware and is powder coated.

My question is just regarding cost effectiveness. How much is the total when you include what you spent on paint and mounting hardware?

In the end you have the pride though of knowing you made it yourself.

Touche... Materials cost me about 70. Definitely worth $99 to buy one. I do like the idea of telling people I made it, but $99 comes in at a very close second.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Heres the dimensions I promised. Sorry if it's hard to read, I have to write quick or i lose it....

This includes my sloppy thought process on figuring dimensions.

The Yakima is just for comparison purposes...

·
just an average Joe
3,284 Posts
Well, they are just about 1 step up from the cocktail napkin. :D

I am working on making my own wheel holding bike rack.
Using a 2" square tube, some 2x4s, and 1/2" emt conduit.
I tested the prototype of mostly scrap lumber and it works.
Now I need to make the good one.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, they are just about 1 step up from the cocktail napkin....

QUOTE]

I know... sorry. If they are too hard to understand and someone wants them let me know and ill re draw it. But not like a fourth grader.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts