Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Jeep Patriot Sport FDI
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this is a bit odd, but when I was replacing my control arm earlier this month, I accidently unbolted the crossmember instead of the vertical bushing (I was distracted by a wasp on my leg). When I pulled the bolt out though, a bunch of water came out of the crossmember. Has anyone had this happen to them or do I need to find some where that sells crossmember fluid?

·
Registered
2014 Sport 4X4 FD2 Off-road, Falken Wildpeak A/T, All weather & convienance group, EVIC, ATC, Hitch
1,196 Posts
That sure sounds odd...

·
Super Moderator
8,668 Posts
So this is a bit odd, but when I was replacing my control arm earlier this month, I accidently unbolted the crossmember instead of the vertical bushing (I was distracted by a wasp on my leg). When I pulled the bolt out though, a bunch of water came out of the crossmember. Has anyone had this happen to them or do I need to find some where that sells crossmember fluid?
I haven't had your problem on either of my Patriots. However, some Patriots have had premature rust-through and FCA has extended the warranty to 10 years for some dates of manufacture. If it's rusting from the inside out it may be weakened and in danger of failing so you might be wise to have it checked by a dealer. This is not a recall, it is voluntary on the part of FCA, so I doubt you will get a letter. You will have to inquire. Maybe you can reach out to @JeepCares. Also use the search box (disguised as "search community" and cleverly camouflaged in dark gray on the black stripe above) and enter something like "rusted frame." No doubt you will get plenty of hits.

·
Registered
27 Posts
If it was just plain water, not antifreeze, then the condensation tube from the heater / AC unit might be slightly misrouted
and emptying into it.

My tube was blocked like the above post.

·
Super Moderator
8,668 Posts
If it was just plain water, not antifreeze, then the condensation tube from the heater / AC unit might be slightly misrouted
and emptying into it.

My tube was blocked like the above post.
"Slightly misrouted." Indeed, a tube that drains onto or into the frame is slightly misrouted, but a mere inch means your frame deteriorates.

As I understand it, this is the root of the rusty frame problem. It has nothing to do with road salt. My '08 Patriot racked up 1/4 million miles in northern New England and had a rock solid frame. People in Florida and California have rusty frames -- can't be road salt. But a/c condensation dripping onto/into the frame? That could do it. Check out some of the other threads on rusty cross-members.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts