Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, quick question, does the Mopar wiring harness for hitches require a program change on the Patriots computer? I wouldn't think so but someone mentioned it to me...

Thanks
Steven

·
Premium Member
3,453 Posts
I know it did NOT on my '08, so I suspect the rest are the same...

·
Registered
14 Posts
My buddy is a Mopar tech. I put in a Curt wire module ('14 Compass) that gets it's power feed off the battery, but he said if you use the Mopar unit, it DOES need the TIPM re-set for the extra draw.

·
Premium Member
3,453 Posts
My buddy is a Mopar tech. I put in a Curt wire module ('14 Compass) that gets it's power feed off the battery, but he said if you use the Mopar unit, it DOES need the TIPM re-set for the extra draw.
I respectfully disagree! If the MOPAR harness has the relays, which is what came (uninstalled) with my new car in '08, the relays do NOT draw additional power that is noticeable to the TIPM.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Could it be that a patriot spec'ed with the tow prep group already has the tipm set for it? In other words, with the tow group box checked, one only needs to plug in the mopar harness. Without the box checked, you'd need to set the tipm in addition to plugging in the harness.

The Curt harness requires a little more wiring work, but definitely no trip to the dealer. It's also dramatically less expensive. Just my $.02.

As for the 7 pin, that harness carries brake signal and accessory power to the trailer. I don't imagine many trailers that fit within our limited tow rating would have a 7 pin on there.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 7 of 7 Posts