Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
EDIT: for those looking for this info, the bolts on the tow hook appear to be M10 grade 10.9 (including the smaller bolt that stabilizes the tow hook), which would have a max torque of around 53 ft/lb. To get to 100 ft/lb safely you'll need a 1/2" grade 8 or an M14 grade 8.8 at minimum. M12 grade 10.9 can get you to 93 ft/lb, though, which is probably sufficient.

Hi all-

I installed a Class III hitch receiver on my 2014 patriot and kept the tow hook. I used the bolts in the tow hook to attach the hitch on the driver side and the bolts supplied with the hitch on the passenger side.

Without really thinking, I tightened the tow hook bolts to the same torque as suggested by the hitch install guide for the bolts that came with the hitch. This was 100 ft/lbs. Anyone know if this torque will be a problem for the bolts on the tow hook? Or, at the very least, does anyone know what grade and size those tow hook bolts are? (I suppose I can check, eventually, but it'd be easier if it's listed somewhere).

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
814 Posts
I am just guessing here but I would think the tow hook bolts will hold up well. The tow hook is very strong so I would imagine the bolts used to tighten to the frame will be strong as well. I can't really see a problem with the torque on the bolt, basing my guess on the fact that the tow hook and hitch are similar for purpose.

My 2 cents, take what you will.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Depends on the grade of the bolt. 100 lbs is up there. See what grade bolt it is (marks on the bolt head) and then torque accordingly. Over-torquing can actually cause weakness if it stretches the bolt shaft, on a non-stretch bolt.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Depends on the grade of the bolt. 100 lbs is up there. See what grade bolt it is (marks on the bolt head) and then torque accordingly. Over-torquing can actually cause weakness if it stretches the bolt shaft, on a non-stretch bolt.
That's precisely my concern. I was hoping someone would know off the top of their head or maybe have a service manual laying around... Guess I'll have to get my hands dirty and look at the bolts myself.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
So the bolts are grade 10.9, but also appear to be M10 in size (at least, judging by the size of the washer listed in the kit you can buy from factory... the bolts themselves are not specified). I definitley over-torqued them. Not to mention I probably over-torqued the little bolt that holds the tow hook side to side.

So, I'm gonna try to pop the press-fit bolts out and replace with M12 10.9 or 1/2" grade 8 bolts. Oddly, I tried to pop the bolts out over the weekend with a clamp (didn't have a big enough bench vise) and it was a total no-go. Hopefully the local hardware store has a bench vise they can let me use.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts