Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I hit a deer last night. Well it hit me. I was going about 35-40mph, swerved missed 3 deer and the 4th decided to hurtle my Patriot. So it hit my windshield, dented and scratched my roof, and scratched my hood. Waiting to hear if its salvageable or if they are going to total it. I pray they don't total it. I attached a few pictures. Will yall let me know what yall think.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,244 Posts
Youzaa...if the airbags didn't go off there remains a good chance they will fix it.

I don't see any indication they blew in your pictures. so you might get lucky.

OTOH, they might total it then sell you the vehicle for salvage and you go get it fixed.
If they give you more than fixing it then you are ahead but you'd better plan on scrapping it when you are finished with it...or selling to someone who doesn't know about CarFax.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Can't imagine they will total it. As mentioned the airbags didn't go off, which is good. Just break down the amount of damage. Windshield will be a couple hundred bucks. A new hood (if needed) wouldn't be more than $1000 bucks after it was painted. That leaves at the MINIMUM $7-8,000 to repair the roof. That should be more than enough to cover any damage that was caused to the roof.

Just my thinkin' anyway.

·
Seriously Addicted
4,074 Posts
Can't imagine they will total it. As mentioned the airbags didn't go off, which is good.
My wife ran into someones trailer hitch. The damage was to the front bumper and her radiator. The insurance company decided to total it for 6k instead of a 3k repair. Its up to the insurance company as to what they want to do. You never know...

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
Glad to hear your ok,
Damage doesn't look too bad from what I can tell.
High end shop through insurance will cost top dollars,
$1k or so for the hood,
$2k or so for the roof,
If insurance will claim $3k-$5k in damage,
Can let their shop do it.
Or can take the money minus deductable and shop around.
Estimate for my deer hit was +$2k, I pocketed the money and shops are now offering to fix it for $1k after I pocketed the insurance money.

·
Premium Member
4,712 Posts
Wow... strong windshield! You are lucky it didn't land in your lap. I am curious what the grill looks like, because unless it leaped in the air right before you hit, I would think your bumper or grill flipped it up. Without airbags being deployed, I am thinking it is not going to be totaled. I'm glad your alright... that looks like it was scary as hell

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys I know I'm lucky the deer didn't come through the windshield and get me. But the air bags did not deploy which ill admit is a good thing, the hood has no dents just minor hoof scratches, windshield not to worried about they are about 350. My major concern is the roof. I'm thinking if they total it I'll buy it back and my buddy it great with body work I'll get him to help me fix it. But if i don't buy it back I'll definitely be looking for a jeep possibly a another patriot.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mrjeep that's exactly what it did it didn't hit my front end at all not even the fender. It jumped in the air landed right on my windshield.

·
Premium Member
4,712 Posts
I had to have my roof and rear door worked on because of something stupid, and the total was about $1000. The roof wasn't in as bad of shape as yours, but I couldn't see it being much more work than what was done on mine

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
that looks fixable

·
Premium Member
1,619 Posts
Many,many years ago, in 1967, a deer hit me on a mountain road at night. I was probably going about 50 to 55 mph at the time. It ran out of the darkness and leaped over my hood, then slid over the windshield, across the roof and trunk. I hit the brakes, and by the time I stopped, I saw the deer roll over on the ground, then get up and run into the woods. Incredibly, it appeared uninjured. Double incredibly, so was the car, just a scratch on the roof above the windshield. The car was a 1966 Valiant Signet, and was made of real steel, not the tin can material they use now, and I'm sure that's why no damage was done to anything execpt my nerves.

·
I don't reMember
1,133 Posts
The car was a 1966 Valiant Signet, and was made of real steel, not the tin can material they use now, and I'm sure that's why no damage was done to anything execpt my nerves.
Ahhh, the CAFE standards for cars these days, all in the name of increasing fuel mileage. So much for passenger safety anymore, eh?

·
Registered
12,876 Posts
I've hit deer in every vehicle I have, and have had, except the Patriot (knocks on wood).

We have a lot of deer around here, especially on my trips home and back, through the mountains and PA Wild areas. Almost hit an Elk once too. Recently had 6 deer run out in front of me, and was able to miss them all, somehow.

Hopefully you'll get it all fixed, and I know with my insurance there's no deductible for hitting a deer, so that helps.

I had a pair of pliers come through the windshield on the Patriot once, right through and landed on the dash. Must have come off a truck going the other way on the highway or something, as I saw them coming at me from over the medial. I was lucky no glass hit my eyes, as it was sprayed all over me and the interior. Was a bitch finding all the glass too.

Good luck with this, and let us know how it turns out for you.

A friend of mine here at work hit one with his Patriot about a month ago, not as bad as yours, and ran almost $3K to fix it.

·
Premium Member
4,244 Posts
Ah...deer stories.

Years ago, spring, I was parked in Banff with just a bikini top on my CJ, came out of the pub to find a snow fall had happened.

Shovelled out the cabin, wiped off the seats and set out in virgin fresh mountain snow homeward...down to Calgary.

Came across a snow covered lump at the side of the road, perfectly parked...looked like a truck. Nothing seemed fishy and as this was the stone age and we were a little tipsy we kept on going.

Turns out that lump was a MGB with a elk laying on top. Car had hit it, it penetrated the windshield, killed the driver who then pulled over to the side and performed a perfect park job. The snow covered everything up.

I think about that every time I pass those rats on stilts at the side of the road.
Looking at the OP's windshield, I guess safety standards made it a little different than a late 60's, early 70's MG, eh?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well the Patriot is off to the body shop they are estimating between 5-6000 dollars in repairs. Will let everyone know how's it goes they said I should have it back in a few days. :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts