Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I just bought a set of HID lights for my 09' Patriot however I am very hesitant about the whole installation, I started reading more into how to install them and everywhere someone says something about the patriot's computer not liking HIDs. What do I need to do, the auto parts store I bought them at said they are plug and play. Oh btw I dont have them yet we had to order them because they were out of the H13 bulbs.

Also I want to install matching fog lights, by matching I mean same color (6000K) and I dont know what lights to get and how to do it exactly. I currently dont have fog lights but I already have the new stalk that has the fog light switch on it but I just dont have the wiring. I would like it to be as much plug and play as possible, since I have the warranty with the dealership I dont want them to blame any problem on any cable cutting or what not. I really just wanted to but the wiring harness that jeep sells and plug after market lights to that, if that is even possible, and matching the head lights (6000K)

Thank you so much for any info!!!!:D

·
Registered
1,550 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thank you! I followed the instructions for the most part, but I am still a bit confused as to where I put in the extra relay or resistor or how to do it. My HID kit came with a relay, but after plugging it in after 15 mins the lights turned off and back on.

ALSO, if I put in the fog lights I want to have them hook up to where the stock ones would hook up that way I can turn them on/ off with the turn signal stalk. I know i would need the wiring harness from Jeep to do so but where in the car does that plug into? I currently dont have any fog lights, and i am trying to avoid putting in a switch for it I already bought the signal stalk with the fog light switch on it.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Well if you are interested in using the factory knob/switch for the headlights you should have wired the lights directly to the original wires which is how I believe Goser showed in his knowledge base post.

"Cut the quick-connect ends off the relay harness and the plug end off one of the H10 wiring harness, and solder them together. Tape over the plug end of the second harness to protect it from the elements.......

Unplug the connectors at the back of your fog lights and plug the wiring harness that you soldered to the relay harness into one of them. Use the second wiring harness to plug into the other one to prevent corrosion.....

Secure the ground wire from the relay harness to the frame."

So...the knob/switch on your turning signal/multi-switch will control the lights if you follow these steps. You'll be using existing wires but you will be wiring in a relay and possibly a resistor between the bulbs and the switch. More specifically, the bulbs and the computer. So the relay and/or resistor must be like this...

bulbs<---H.I.D.relay<---computer<---fuse/OEM relay<------multi-switch

However, someone correct me if I am wrong :l

·
Registered
397 Posts
unless your running HID's through a projector lens so your blinding people with the halogen housing, you'll likely get a lot of harassment from law enforcement when they start cracking down on this for revenue

1 - 5 of 5 Posts