Jeep Patriot Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2012 Patriot started jerking and hesitating, which I assume was misfire, as I approached the Eisenhower tunnel on I-70 in Colorado. Coming down the other side of the pass, it stopped doing that but of course I was not giving it gas as the hwy was downhill for several miles. Continuing on, even uphill, it was fine until it started happening again as I got near the top of Fremont pass, which is about the same altitude as the tunnel (around 11,000 feet). During several more hours of driving at lower altitudes there were no issues so I assume that it's only 11,000 feet or above that this happens. No dashboard lights, and no codes in the computer. I've driven it at those altitudes and more many times before, including Pikes Peak Hwy up to 13,000 feet last week, with no issues. With no codes, I'm not sure where to start. Ideas?

·
Administrator
6,462 Posts
Change the spark plugs if they haven't been done in the last 30k miles.

Check the air filter and see if it needs changed.

·
Super Moderator
8,814 Posts
Ditto Sandstone. If the air filter is clogged, the thin mountain air means your engine is getting even less oxygen. The change interval for Patriot spark plugs is only 30,000 miles. Both are easy DIY jobs.

·
Super Moderator
8,814 Posts
PS, before electronic ignition, drivers would have the carburetor adjusted for mountain driving.

·
Administrator
6,462 Posts
2012 Patriot started jerking and hesitating, which I assume was misfire, as I approached the Eisenhower tunnel on I-70 in Colorado. Coming down the other side of the pass, it stopped doing that but of course I was not giving it gas as the hwy was downhill for several miles. Continuing on, even uphill, it was fine until it started happening again as I got near the top of Fremont pass, which is about the same altitude as the tunnel (around 11,000 feet). During several more hours of driving at lower altitudes there were no issues so I assume that it's only 11,000 feet or above that this happens. No dashboard lights, and no codes in the computer. I've driven it at those altitudes and more many times before, including Pikes Peak Hwy up to 13,000 feet last week, with no issues. With no codes, I'm not sure where to start. Ideas?

Rieme, I had basically the same thing happen to me going up Guanella Pass out of Georgetown, didn't happen until I got close to the top where the hairpin turns start.

Air filter was fine, changed the plugs and problem solved.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The air filter had about 13,000 miles on it, dirty but didn't look too bad. Changed it anyway. Plugs had 25,000 miles on them. Changed them anyway. Used the Bosch double iridium instead of the $3 NGKs that were in there. Can't really road test it until next time I go to the high country maybe in a couple of months.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts