Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you are having "unfindable" ground issues, this is your answer. You know how the grounds all accumulate in a small nest of crimped-on eye loop connectors? Theres one VERY vulnerable one right by the alternator that will knock out random headlights, make the air conditioner stop working, and make traction control stuff come on if it gets compromised.

The thing is this: It will BE compromised and not LOOK compromised. This is the really sneaky part. The crimped-on eye loops are crimped in 2 places. The first crimp is attached to the bare wire, the important part, making the electrical contact between the components and the frame. The SECOND part of the crimp that is MUCH STURDIER is crushed onto the plastic part of the wire, its sheath. What happens is this... The copper wire rots out, breaking the actual circuit, and the plastic part stays connected, making you think the ground is just fine.

You will find that tracing this down is like playing a game of whack-a-mole. Trust me and just cut the eye-loop off and reattach a good quality one.

Seriously this should be stickied, and a javascript popup alert for anyone visiting the electrical forum. :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
This is very valuable info. Any chance you could take a picture to show the location of this ground? Do you need to remove the plastic undertray benath the engine in order to find this close to the alternator?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It’s pouring rain right now, but you can easily see the ground by looking in from the top with the hood open. The ground is right Behind the passenger headlight and to the left of the engine (by the pulleys, right above the alternator). Here is the diagram. It’s G110. The image makes it look like a single wire but it’s like 10 all joined up with tape and crimped onto the eye-loop. They can each fail individually!!!

Additionally I believe it’s above the alternator. I recently replaced my alternator and in the process, partially destroyed this eye-loop ground just by wiggling the wires around while I was wrangling the alternator up in from the bottom.

·
Super Moderator
5,231 Posts
Yep, this has been posted about over the years.

I wish this were the magic fix-all for all grounding problems, but sadly, it's one of several grounds that tend to fail.
There's one the drivers side too.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep, this has been posted about over the years.

I wish this were the magic fix-all for all grounding problems, but sadly, it's one of several grounds that tend to fail.
There's one the drivers side too.

No one has just came out and explained the root of the problem. I checked that ground 10 times before I learned about the failure mode. I think that’s important, the ground can look fine, and test fine “sometimes”. Understanding the metal fails in such an oddball way is the key, not just “fixing the ground”. I knew there was something wrong but was tricked because “some” of the connections to the ground were ok, but not all of it. This sort of failure is pretty confusing. All grounds in question have to be checked in this manner.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Can't agree more with OP! After searching around here on the forums I found some olde posts mentioning the ground by the alternator. During the summer my passenger headlight stopped working and handbrake light started randomly lighting up.

Ground point by the alternator looked fine just looking at it, cleaned it over and over with electronics cleaner, vinegar solution etc. but nothing helped.

Finally I unscrewed it and cut the wires, showing exactly what is described above.... the cables were all rusted out inside the sleeve. I had to cut quite a bit of them and ended up splitting all wires up into three different ground eyelets, then extended them with Abiko connectors and new wires instead. That fixed all my problems!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thank you! My 07 Patriot has been plagued with a self-starting problem and more recently the brake warning light issue, at first random and intermittent and then eventually on all the time. Far too much money spent on garages who couldn’t be bothered to find the real problem. This was it! Exactly as you described. I found six ground wires crimped together onto the eyelet, two larger and four small wires. Badly corroded behind the crimp. Not much extra wire to play with so I cut them back and used three crimp-on wire connectors to add the length back, one on each of the larger wires and the four small ones twisted together into the third. Then connected the three extended wires into a new crimp eyelet. I put a length of shrink tubing over the whole mess before bolting it back down. The brake light problem is gone and so far the car doesn’t seem to want to self-start any more. Great advice!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Can't agree more with OP! After searching around here on the forums I found some olde posts mentioning the ground by the alternator. During the summer my passenger headlight stopped working and handbrake light started randomly lighting up.

Ground point by the alternator looked fine just looking at it, cleaned it over and over with electronics cleaner, vinegar solution etc. but nothing helped.

Finally I unscrewed it and cut the wires, showing exactly what is described above.... the cables were all rusted out inside the sleeve. I had to cut quite a bit of them and ended up splitting all wires up into three different ground eyelets, then extended them with Abiko connectors and new wires instead. That fixed all my problems!
I have the opposite problem!
During the summer the hand brake light started randomly lightning up, then my passenger headlight stopped working... lol

Ground point by the alternator looked green and bad just looking at it, cleaned it over and over with electronics cleaner. Poked exposed copper with a screwdriver and the fine wires disintegrated.

Tommorow I unscrewed it and cut the wires! Thanks all! YouTube coming on my Pittsburgh Pap channel.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I just ran into this for a turn signal and parking lamp issues (Ground #110).

The black/pink ground wire was broken:

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you are having "unfindable" ground issues, this is your answer. You know how the grounds all accumulate in a small nest of crimped-on eye loop connectors? Theres one VERY vulnerable one right by the alternator that will knock out random headlights, make the air conditioner stop working, and make traction control stuff come on if it gets compromised.

The thing is this: It will BE compromised and not LOOK compromised. This is the really sneaky part. The crimped-on eye loops are crimped in 2 places. The first crimp is attached to the bare wire, the important part, making the electrical contact between the components and the frame. The SECOND part of the crimp that is MUCH STURDIER is crushed onto the plastic part of the wire, its sheath. What happens is this... The copper wire rots out, breaking the actual circuit, and the plastic part stays connected, making you think the ground is just fine.

You will find that tracing this down is like playing a game of whack-a-mole. Trust me and just cut the eye-loop off and reattach a good quality one.

Seriously this should be stickied, and a javascript popup alert for anyone visiting the electrical forum. :)
I knew that a turn signal, ac, hand break light, didn't just all came on and off for no reason. Took about 6 month and this post to find out how a component can fail partially, such as non suspicious looking bundle of ground wires. After spreading the eye found 3 ground wires had turn into dust. Thank you for your suggestion in approaching this type of issue.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts