Jeep Patriot Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I have a 2015 Jeep Patriot Altitude that is running loud all of a sudden. No lights and everything else seems fine. Spark plugs, air filter....any suggestions please before I go straight to a mechanic.

thanks!!

·
Administrator
7,885 Posts
Hi, welcome!

In what way is it louder? Is it rattling, clacking, etc., or like the exhaust got louder.

If it sounds like the exhaust got a lot louder literally over-night, it's possible someone cut off / stole the catalytic converter and the exhaust is now un-muffled.

·
Administrator
2014 2.0 5-spd FWD
9,359 Posts
Ditto @Sandstone. Sawing off catalytic converters has become a cottage industry. In a neighboring county someone hit the bus parking lot and stole the catcons off all but one or two of their buses.

Or, if you live in an honest area, it could just be that you dragged bottom and damaged the exhaust system. Been off-roading? If you don't have a skid plate, that's easy to do. I crushed the catcon on my Oldsmobile while driving in an icy alley -- I slipped into the ruts and smashed my underside.

·
Registered
2016 Jeep Patriot Sport 2WD
136 Posts
I recall that if the intake shroud is missing it can sound like you kicked in a 4 barrel carburetor. Very loud indeed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts