Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I don't know much about cars at all - but, I'm trying to diagnose and solve my problem. I'm learning as I go...

My 2014 Patriot recently started to overheat a little (according to the temperature gauge) on the highway when it is working hard, going uphill for example. When I slowed down, or started going back downhill, it cools itself off... I also noticed that turning the AC on will help cool it down.

Coolant level is fine, oil level is fine... It does not overheat in idle. I took it to a local drive through shop and I figured I would get the coolant system flushed and changed... they told me not to bother and suggested starting with the thermostat or radiator fan.

So... A thermostat was cheap... I figured out how to replace it and did that (like i said, i don't know engines... i was so proud haha)... Only now the engine gets even hotter. (I used the t-stat that the guy guy me, i'm assuming it might be rated for a higher temperature than the one that I replaced?...)

I'm at work now, when I get home I'm going to run the engine with the radiator cap off to be sure that the coolant does in fact flow through when it should....

It's beginning to feel more likely that I have a cooling fan issue. The fan does run when the Jeep is just idling. I'm assuming that, since running the AC does cool it off, that the fan is not kicking into high speed when it should... but since the AC works just fan, the fan is functional and capable to turn on hi speed.

So....... I'm thinking that whatever tells the fan to turn on to high speed, is failing. Does this make sense?

Now. Where do I start. I see some posts about fuses and relays. I know how to check the fuses. I don't really understand how to check electronics or relays with a multi-meter, etc.

Does it makes sense to say that the fuse is fine since the fan blows the AC just fine? Does it seem likely that it's the relay that controls the fan to turn onto highspeed at a certain engine temperature.

Thanks to anyone who actually read this. I obviously don't know exactly what I'm talking about... but im determined to fix this myself.

Thank you for any tips, advice or things to rule out.

Charley

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So. Turns out that there are 2 thermostats. The primary one, thatI originally replaces, is calibrated to open at around 80 degrees Celsius. The secondary thermostat opens when the coolant is around 100 degrees Celsius, to increase coolant flow.

I replaced the secondary thermostat, and it fixed my problem of overheating only when the engine is working harder. Makes perfect sense. Hope this helps someone in the future.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts