Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have what looks like bug guts all over my front bumper. They are not guts but dent from where the bugs hit. When i waxed my car all the dent(which cover my entire bumper) turned white(i have a stell blue pat). They stick out and look horrible. Ive washed the bumper atleast 20 times, tried bug and tar remover, and also degreaser(which began removing all the paint at edges or corner). I dont know what to do anymore besides buy a new bumper.

My enitre bumperand grill is covered in spots like these.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
3,453 Posts
The say everything's bigger in Texas--guess so are the bugs and their dents!

Seriously, since the grill and bumper are basically plastic, I wonder if a body shop that specializes in doing these plastic parts would have an economical approach.

I know it looks tacky,but I've seen bug screens that folks attach to the front of their vehicle--mainly to keep the bugs out of the radiator, but maybe that would work in your situation.

Question: Was this incident rare, or does it happen frequently?

·
POTM November 2008
8,921 Posts
I usually get unwanted wax out of cracks and chips with a soft bristle plastic brush.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have one of these. i think its cause from bugs staying on the bumper so long it just eats it away when they come off. I tried clay baring and waxing ect and it didnt really help.

Bug Marks. In Louisiana and many other states we have bug problems. When driving down the interstate bugs tend to splatter on the hood and other spots on your vehicle. Our prep solvent will eat off bug residue. Certain bugs contain an acid of some kind and can slowly eat away at your paint finish in little specks. Once this happens there is no special cure; it then needs to be touched up or you can expect rust to follow. Black or colored wax with the little chip stick comes off in the first wash if the rain hasn't gotten to it first. We have worked at a solution for this and realized that applying paint and then coming back and lightly wiping it with a solvent tends to work the best. This trick works great on stubborn black cars.

looks like ur SOL and need touchup.. :/

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Question: Was this incident rare, or does it happen frequently?
Ive only driven it once father than 30 or so miles from my house. I bought it used so im guessing they were there when i bought it but didnt realise until i waxed it. I may try touch up paint, but the whole bumper is covered in sopts like this so i may just see how much it costs to get the bumper repainted. And im not worried about rust becuase the bumper is plastic. I just want my jeep to look clean and as good as possible.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts