Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, i need some help diagnosing/troubleshooting some issues i have been having with my 2008 patriot sport. On my dash panel, I have the warning lights for ABS, esp/bas, traction control, 4wd!, and brake system lights on. I am getting to my wits end (and bank account) trying to isolate and fix the problem.

A little background on how these problems came about:
1. A ratting/squeaking noise from my belt area led me to replace the serpentine belt and tensioner (this didn't fix the problem, next i will be replacing the alternator decoupler pulley when i have time). When i took off the passenger side tire to access the tensioner, i noticed my bearing was toast.

2. The next day, I replaced the two front bearings and outer tie rod ends. When i was removing the hubs, i noticed one of the ABS sensors (rt front) was frayed (has no issues previously with abs, so I'm not sure if it happened removing parts, or happened on its own)... Also, when i was removing abs sensor from front left hub, it was completely seized in the hub and i broke it trying to get it out.

3. Day 3 of repairs, i replaced the broken front left abs sensor, both front brake pads and rotors....then noticed my front right ball joint was messed up. The dashboard was still lit up like a christmas tree. I drove around for a few days through many on/off engine cycles, and disconnected the battery to try to reset the warning lights, to no avail.

4. Day 4 of repairs (today) replaced front right lower control arm (with new ball joint) and the front right ABS sensor. When i left the garage, my brake system warning light and 4wd! Lights were finally off (very temporarily), and i could finally engage my 4x4 again. When i got back on the road, i noticed my speedometer wasnt working...wtf right? After a km or two, the brake system warning light and 4wd! Lights came back on, and my speedometer magically started working again.

I don't know what to do next!? I have been reading posts all day, and i am seeing a trend in the posts across all forums...the wiring under the driver side carpet can become corroded and cause these lights. I do live in ontario, and its been a particularly long and tough winter on poor Jeepy... My carpets are still soaked, so these corroded wires could very well be the problem. What i find strange though, is that they have been wet all winter...and i had no problems until now... Then I replaced some damaged parts, including the ABS sensors, which i thought were causing the problem....and it still hasn't cleared the warning lights.

Has anyone had any problems like this that they were able to fix?? Any suggestions on what to explore next, or any ideas on something i could have missed with the work i have done? Please help!:). Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Kevin

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Hello all, i need some help diagnosing/troubleshooting some issues i have been having with my 2008 patriot sport. On my dash panel, I have the warning lights for ABS, esp/bas, traction control, 4wd!, and brake system lights on. I am getting to my wits end (and bank account) trying to isolate and fix the problem.

1. A ratting/squeaking noise from my belt area led me to replace the serpentine belt and tensioner (this didn't fix the problem, next i will be replacing the alternator decoupler pulley when i have time). When i took off the passenger side tire to access the tensioner, i noticed my bearing was toast.

2. The next day, I replaced the two front bearings and outer tie rod ends. When i was removing the hubs, i noticed one of the ABS sensors (rt front) was frayed (has no issues previously with abs, so I'm not sure if it happened removing parts, or happened on its own)... Also, when i was removing abs sensor from front left hub, it was completely seized in the hub and i broke it trying to get it out.

3. Day 3 of repairs, i replaced the broken front left abs sensor, both front brake pads and rotors....then noticed my front right ball joint was messed up. The dashboard was still lit up like a christmas tree. I drove around for a few days through many on/off engine cycles, and disconnected the battery to try to reset the warning lights, to no avail.

4. Day 4 of repairs (today) replaced front right lower control arm (with new ball joint) and the front right ABS sensor. When i left the garage, my brake system warning light and 4wd! Lights were finally off (very temporarily), and i could finally engage my 4x4 again. When i got back on the road, i noticed my speedometer wasnt working...wtf right? After a km or two, the brake system warning light and 4wd! Lights came back on, and my speedometer magically started working again.

I don't know what to do next!? I have been reading posts all day, and i am seeing a trend in the posts across all forums...the wiring under the driver side carpet can become corroded and cause these lights. I do live in ontario, and its been a particularly long and tough winter on poor Jeepy... My carpets are still soaked, so these corroded wires could very well be the problem. What i find strange though, is that they have been wet all winter...and i had no problems until now... Then I replaced some damaged parts, including the ABS sensors, which i thought were causing the problem....and it still hasn't cleared the warning lights.

Has anyone had any problems like this that they were able to fix?? Any suggestions on what to explore next, or any ideas on something i could have missed with the work i have done? Please help!:). Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Kevin
did you fit the bearings properly,meaning with the magnetic ring towards the abs sensor?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have had these lights come one 100's of times and never needed a new sensor just a cleaning. Have you checked both tone ring and ABS sensor? My 08 patriot needed ABS sensor cleaning about every week after a few months of having it. Then i cleaned the tone ring no problems for a year. When your ABS light, traction, esp/bar, 4WD lights come on it does effect performance and mpg. It's a quick cleaning for the ABS sensor 10mm wrench and a rag takes but 4mins a wheel. Tone rings cleaning you gonna need a garage and some time.

One trick i have found on the trail to get ur system back is to backup 20-30 feet slowly 3-5mph at the end of the backup slow down and turn left hard stop, then 1st and hard right turn moving 5mph. I have had 80% luck with this, most often the light come back on after 20-30 mins.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
did you fit the bearings properly,meaning with the magnetic ring towards the abs sensor?
I didn't actually press the bearings on my own, but I guess this would be the most obvious reason why the ABS sensor will not reset.

Can any of you extremely helpful folks tell me:

Is there a way to check this without stripping the whole wheel apart down to the bearings?

Would the ABS sensor being backwards cause the ESP/BAS, traction control, 4WD!, and the red "!" brake system lights to come on?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update to close forum... Both front bearings were installed backwards. Idiot move that cost me $600 to fix. Lesson learned.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've been having almost identical problems with an 08 diesel 2 litre patriot..

Can you guys post photo's up of what we should be looking for / at ?

I'm gonna have a crack at this - before I lash out and start buying abs control modules and new abs pumps...

It just seems odd that jeep want to charge me about $3000 to fix this.. I'd rather see if I can get a way around the problem before lashing out rediculous amounts of cash to fix a fault code..

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
I've been having almost identical problems with an 08 diesel 2 litre patriot..

Can you guys post photo's up of what we should be looking for / at ?

I'm gonna have a crack at this - before I lash out and start buying abs control modules and new abs pumps...

It just seems odd that jeep want to charge me about $3000 to fix this.. I'd rather see if I can get a way around the problem before lashing out rediculous amounts of cash to fix a fault code..
might be the corroded pink wire in the bunch under the driver side carpet.
lots of guys went through this.including myself.
the piñk wire is actually a knot between three wires,all pink.
get the tape off ,clean them and rejoin them and cover with tape.
might be the issue.

·
Registered
21 Posts
the only pink wire I can see has a trace - it's solid pink.. and goes to the yellow connector under the seat..

I'll have to rip the seats out to get the carpet up...

Does the wire always run down the l/h side of the vehicle ? or is it different for vehicles made in r/h drive ? ( i.e. for england and australia ? )

the patriot's never been wet and it doesnt snow here.. so usually fairly dry..

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
the only pink wire I can see has a trace - it's solid pink.. and goes to the yellow connector under the seat..

I'll have to rip the seats out to get the carpet up...

Does the wire always run down the l/h side of the vehicle ? or is it different for vehicles made in r/h drive ? ( i.e. for england and australia ? )

the patriot's never been wet and it doesnt snow here.. so usually fairly dry..
not sure where it runs on r/h drive,
on l/h drive it runs on the side towards the door,under the carpet.very easy to check.
get the plastic frame off,easy so you don't break anything.
i would try the driver side first.
if you are rh drive,my guess would be that they usedthat side.
had a new beetle cabriolet while i worked in england and all electrical was mirror view compared to lh drive.
it just makes sense.
anyway,no seat ripping please.not necessary.

·
Registered
1 Posts
ABS & various other faults after changing wheel bearing

Fellas ,I have a 2007 Jeep Compass just replaced the front left bearing making sure to put the magnetic ring to face tword the ABS sensor. I now have various lights on including the ABS.Please help ,any ideas
Thanks
Jeff

·
Fiat Cherokar
3,098 Posts
I posted this in another thread

Is the problem similar to this

My issue was the wires near the plastic foot rest just to the left of the brake pedal, snow/Ice got in there and corroded the wires. That would be one area to check. I know it doesn't seem related to the places you are looking for the problem now but it wouldn't hurt to check.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2007 patriot, has 107,000 miles. 4wd 5 speed manual transmission. The ABS 4WD! and eap lights keep coming on and off, while driving after it's warmed for a while. Ot doesn't appear to effect the permanence. Could this possibly be a sensor or fluid issue?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a Jeep patriot sport 2008, about 2 months ago the ligths for the break, abs eps all turn on. it will turn and keep on after reaching 20 miles per hr. however it will not shift to 2nd gear at ALL. i changed the right front sensor and the ABS Module ( very expensive) and all shift came in just fine, it was fined for about 40 day and turn ON again. Any other ideas as to why this happens? I am running out of money now since all this repair cost me a lot last time. Any suggestions will be appreciated

·
Registered
1 Posts

Kevin
Hello,

I have exactly the same problem with my 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan except my van is no 4WD. Jeep and Dodge comes from the same dealers.

Anyway, after a lot of thinking and researching, I decided to try fixing it than spend a lot of money going to the dealer. I thought to myself that if the park brake lights led is also lit, then the problem is one of the rear speed sensors. So I jacked up rear of van and disconnected and reconnected the 2 rear speed sensor wires thinking that it might just be a loose connection. And then, after about 3 minutes of driving the minivan, all the led lights on the dashboard disappeared. ESP BAS, park brake, traction and ABS led lights are all gone.

Problem solved by myself for $0 dollars.

Good luck.

Mig

·
Registered
2 Posts
My Patriot isn't getting power to the R/R wheel sensor and I don't know if it's a ABS module issue or a PCM issue. I've spent hours tracing the wires and they look good. Any ideas?

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have a similar concern on my 2011 patriot latitude. The abs, traction symbol and then the 4wd warning lights came on and the 4wd does not work. I read somewhere here about the blue wires and investigated the problem. I found that it must have been a concern before and was repaired with a sealing and soldered connecter on the only "pink" wires I could find... or did I miss something?? see pics... both conn seem to be a gold solder and very solid and cannot see any corrosion at all. Started car and did a "wiggle test" and lights stayed steady so conn must be good. Any and ALL suggestions would be gratefully accepted.... Thanks in advance.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts