Jeep Patriot Forums banner

HELP!! 😩 Seatbelt Retractor Issue 2010 Pat Sport 2.4

842 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  KaiserJeep 
#1 ·
Hello Guys,

I appreciate the help with my previous issue… I not surprisingly (due to it being and old car I supposeissues will always pop up)… so my seatbelt was working just fine before even tho I have only have vehicle for a month. The retractor just up and got stuck when I took a passenger in the car for the first time. When I went to test drive the car I don’t remember noticing an issue but today my passenger seemed to have an issue hearing the usual click and I reached over and clicked it in, but now after couple ins and out in the car, it just suddenly refused to budge out at all. I pull on it but nothing, seems as though it’s stuck in a “gear” or something so the passenger had to sit in the back. Should I be worried I have to buy a new pretensioner/ seatbelt mechanism? Is the drivers side One assumed to maybe having the same fate? Is my passenger in danger in case of non deployment in the future even if it is freed from stuck state? Help please!! Passenger is my mom! 😩🥺

Discussion starter · #3 ·
There's two modes to the restraint, the normal mode where it restrains (or locks) on inertia for emergencies, and locked mode where it stays locked.

The info on how to change modes is below, but if it's truly stuck / malfunctioning then it will probably have to be replaced.

DESCRIPTION

The seat belt retractors used in all seating positions include an inertia-type, emergency locking mechanism as standard equipment. However, the retractor locking mechanisms for all seating positions except for the driver side front are mechanically switchable from an emergency locking retractor to an automatic locking retractor. The primary function of this feature is to securely accommodate a child seat in any of these seating positions of the vehicle without the need for a self-cinching seat belt tip half latch plate unit or another supplemental device that would be required to prevent the seat belt webbing from unwinding freely from the retractor spool of an inertia-type emergency locking retractor mechanism.

The automatic locking mechanism is integral to the seat belt and retractor unit and is concealed beneath a molded plastic cover located on one side of the retractor spool.

The automatic locking mechanism cannot be adjusted or repaired and, if ineffective or damaged, the entire seat belt and retractor unit must be replaced.

OPERATION

The locked mode of the automatic locking retractor is engaged and the retractor is switched from operating as a standard inertia-type emergency locking retractor by first buckling the combination lap and shoulder belt buckle.

Then grasp the shoulder belt and pull all of the webbing out of the retractor.

Once all of the belt webbing is extracted from the spool, the retractor will automatically become engaged in the pre-locked automatic locking mode and will make a light, audible clicking or ratcheting sound as the shoulder belt is allowed to retract to confirm that the automatic locking mode is now engaged.

Once the automatic locking mode is engaged, the retractor will remain locked and the belt will remain tight around whatever it is restraining.

==

The retractor is returned to standard emergency locking (inertia) mode by unbuckling the combination lap and shoulder belt buckle and allowing the belt webbing to be almost fully retracted onto the retractor spool.

The emergency locking mode is confirmed by the absence of the light, audible clicking or ratcheting sound as the belt webbing retracts.

This mode will allow the belt to unwind from and wind onto the retractor spool freely unless and until a predetermined inertia load is sensed, or until the retractor is again switched to the automatic locking mode.
There's two modes to the restraint, the normal mode where it restrains (or locks) on inertia for emergencies, and locked mode where it stays locked.

The info on how to change modes is below, but if it's truly stuck / malfunctioning then it will probably have to be replaced.

DESCRIPTION

The seat belt retractors used in all seating positions include an inertia-type, emergency locking mechanism as standard equipment. However, the retractor locking mechanisms for all seating positions except for the driver side front are mechanically switchable from an emergency locking retractor to an automatic locking retractor. The primary function of this feature is to securely accommodate a child seat in any of these seating positions of the vehicle without the need for a self-cinching seat belt tip half latch plate unit or another supplemental device that would be required to prevent the seat belt webbing from unwinding freely from the retractor spool of an inertia-type emergency locking retractor mechanism.

The automatic locking mechanism is integral to the seat belt and retractor unit and is concealed beneath a molded plastic cover located on one side of the retractor spool.

The automatic locking mechanism cannot be adjusted or repaired and, if ineffective or damaged, the entire seat belt and retractor unit must be replaced.

OPERATION

The locked mode of the automatic locking retractor is engaged and the retractor is switched from operating as a standard inertia-type emergency locking retractor by first buckling the combination lap and shoulder belt buckle.

Once all of the belt webbing is extracted from the spool, the retractor will automatically become engaged in the pre-locked automatic locking mode and will make a light, audible clicking or ratcheting sound as the shoulder belt is allowed to retract to confirm that the automatic locking mode is now engaged.

Once the automatic locking mode is engaged, the retractor will remain locked and the belt will remain tight around whatever it is restraining.

==

The retractor is returned to standard emergency locking (inertia) mode by unbuckling the combination lap and shoulder belt buckle and allowing the belt webbing to be almost fully retracted onto the retractor spool.

The emergency locking mode is confirmed by the absence of the light, audible clicking or ratcheting sound as the belt webbing retracts.

This mode will allow the belt to unwind from and wind onto the retractor spool freely unless and until a predetermined inertia load is sensed, or until the retractor is again switched to the automatic locking mode.

DESCRIPTION

OPERATION

==

Thank you so much for this detailed information. I will read more in-depth and follow accordingly and see where I stand. 👍👍

Discussion starter · #5 ·
Might be worth a look inside it to see if maybe something fell into the slot or it's just jammed up with debris/ dirt if the co er is easy enough to pop off. Some compressed air maybe to yry blowing it out (even a can of computer air duster may help).
Sounds like it’s worth a try also…thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.