Jeep Patriot Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought it was pretty funny (and awesome) that jeep patriot has its own forum so i decided to sign up. I just got a 09 patriot limited and it has already made me want to be a jeep owner forever. My last car was an isuzu and it barely made it to the dealer to trade in.

Next month I'm driving it from Texas to New Jersey for college and i was wondering if anybody had any experience on how the patriot fared on long road trips.

Btw, did anybody else have trouble finding a 4wd model? I looked everywhere and couldn't find one so i got a 2wd with the autostick.

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
Btw, did anybody else have trouble finding a 4wd model? I looked everywhere and couldn't find one so i got a 2wd with the autostick.
Since Chrysler/Jeep went into restructuring, Dealers are left with whatever they have on hand, as no new vehicles were produced after May 1st.
Thus all 4x4s, FDIIs & even LTDs are pretty much all sold out, as those are the desirable Patriots. What's left are what you are finding in dealers' lots right now, slim pickins. If you are looking for specific options or loaded units, you can forget about it. It will not get any better until the factories are re-open & more unsold inventories are bought out. It could be 2010 model year before you will see another 4x4 LTD with FDII.

·
Premium Member
1,470 Posts
Welcome to the boards...and soon welcome to the crazy drivers of NJ. Where abouts are you going to school there?

There have been a few people that have had long drives, not sure of the threads but as you browse theough them I'm sure youll fine them.
For me I'm comfortable with my 1.5 hr drive back and forth to work from NJ to Philly.
Looking forward to some pics :)
Rich

·
Registered
56 Posts
Welcome

I have a 2wd sport with a 5sp and I drive my Pat everywhere. I live in Charleston SC and have been to TN several times and also up to Charlotte NC. Even running 75mph is still get great fuel economy, never actually calculated it but just a rough estimate probably about 25 to 27mpg with 3 adults and our luggage. It is very comfortable for the ride, it soaks up bumps on the road quite nicely and holds its ground pretty good wheather im passing a camper, car or semi. No complaints here. this is my first jeep and i give it a :smiley_thumbs_up:

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
welcome to the boards

There have been plenty here who have reported on similar road trips
All good.
I have taken a few +1000 mile road trips and last summer 3400 mile road trip
Pat was comfy as can be
Capabilty jeep is known for. With car like comfort.
Even a 12 hour non stop stretch didn't phase me.
Welcome and enjoy your ride

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
and soon welcome to the crazy drivers of NJ. Where abouts are you going to school there?
I'm about to start my third year at Rutgers, i spent the first two in the dorms and didn't really need a car that badly. It's definitely going to be different driving around up there where you pass through a new town every 3 minutes and impossible to make left turns, still looking forward to it though.

·
Registered
9 Posts
road trips

I've had my '08 Patriot for just over a year... I just passed 30k miles. It had 7 (total) when I bought it.

The road trips I've taken: Houston to Austin about 5 times; Houston to Los Angeles; Houston to Chicago; Houston to Louisiana 3 times (technically speaking, it was Bridge City, TX - within spitting distance of the LA border, though).

On the really long road trips (LA, Chicago), the Patriot has been fantastic. The '09, with it's softer arm rests, will do even better. With two people and all their luggage, I get between 28 - 31 mpg on these trips. I have the 2.0 liter FWD (unfortunately - I really wish I'd gone for the 2.4 liter engine). I have the Yes! Essentials seats, and they are very surprisingly comfortable. One thing I suggest: if you have someone else driving or plan on pulling off to the side of the road to sleep, invest in one of those neck pillows that looks like a horseshoe. I'm a 6', 280 lbs. fat man, and the Patriot is the first car (whether van, SUV, or car) that, while sitting in the passenger seat leaned back all the way, I can actually sleep comfortably. I'm one of those people who can't sleep well in cars, and even in a full on bed I'm usually tossing and turning, and I sleep like a baby in there.

Oh, and don't worry about Jersey. I was in Chicago when it was 4 degrees outside, with a 2WD 2.0 liter, and didn't have a problem at all. Granted, I wasn't trying to plow through snow drifts, but you get my point.

·
Registered
265 Posts
dude before i went to afghan i went to see my father in law and then i went to see my parents... i started in colorado springs, colorado to houston, texas..that was 1000 miles. i made it in 8 hours..once i spend 7 days in texas i started driving from houston, texas to los angeles, california....and that was around 1500 miles.i made it in 15 hours.then i drove back to colorado springs.so yeah i put around 4000 miles in the jeep patriot in 14 days..i didn't had a problem.. the great part is that from colorado to texas i only stop 3 times to put gas which was like 70 dollars lol..i pend less then 300 in gas...imagine how much money i save from not buying a plane ticket for 3 people..

·
POTM November 2008
8,868 Posts
I drive mine 400 miles in one trip every 15 days or so. It is comfortable and fun to drive on long trips.

In addition to supply being interupted by the bankruptcy, dealers are sent cars in the ratio of what Chrysler thinks should sell in that market. 4x2 Jeeps do eventually sell, thus reinforcing the myth that people want 4x2 Jeeps.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
There have been a few people that have had long drives, not sure of the threads but as you browse theough them I'm sure youll fine them.
For me I'm comfortable with my 1.5 hr drive back and forth to work from NJ to Philly.
Looking forward to some pics :)
Rich
I feel your pain... My 25 mile drive from south jersey to Philly takes me 1.5 hours as well!

·
POTM November 2008
8,868 Posts
I feel your pain... My 25 mile drive from south jersey to Philly takes me 1.5 hours as well!
That would get old fast. I'd be 90 miles away in an hour and a half.

·
Premium Member
450 Posts
Jug Handles

It's definitely going to be different driving around up there where you pass through a new town every 3 minutes and impossible to make left turns, still looking forward to it though.
I can relate. I'm originally from Houston and I moved up to South Jersey a few years ago. The jug handles are the worst... you know you need to make a left hand turn, but you're not sure if you have to be in the right lane or left lane to do it because it's always different! Drove me crazy. Once you get used to it, it's really not so bad.

Compared to Texas, yea the towns are right on top of each other. I still don't know where the boundary lines are for a lot of the towns up here.

Come New Years Eve, I can't recommend highly enough the fireworks display at Penn's Landing. It is likely within walking distance of your dormitory. I usually go every year, Rutgers/Camden is around the corner from my town.

·
Registered
12 Posts
hey mate, just made a 2000 mile round trip from Denver to Phoenix via grand canyon for memorial wknd and my 2007 patriot limited was a road warrior. awesome car and great mpg (not sure if the 2009 gets as good mileage as 2007)

·
Premium Member
1,470 Posts
Ah yes Rutgers area can be a challenge on it's own especially around football time, looking forward to seeing another pat in the area :)

Gaze...25 miles in 1.5 hrs geez, at least I got an excuse of driving 70 miles. I would think you probably see a lot of road rage or have really good soothing music ;)

Rich

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.