Jeep Patriot Forums banner

Gutting the Catalytic Converter?!

13K views 20 replies 17 participants last post by  archisur 
#1 ·
Hey has anyone done this to their patriot.. Im wondering if it trips codes or has any negative affects.. If anyone has done this or heard of somone doing this and the outcome it would be great to know, thanks.

#3 ·
OBD II uses pre and post catalytic oxygen sensors, so you will most definitely trip a code if you gut it out. They sell "dummy" o2 sensors for the post cat one, so you'll need one of those. If you're looking for more power though, gutting the cat will gain you almost nothing. All modern cats are high flow models. It's not like the old platinum bed styles from the 70's and 80's.

#19 ·
there's a thing they make for spark plugs I believe is called a spark arrestor or something to that effect, ( now this was on an o2 civic but similar in theory they have the same 02 * setup) now these things you can get are cheap just drill it the right width and not to narrow the first time so you don't fight drill hop drilling the second time as I did. they fit the threads of an o2* and if you drill it out to the width of the sensor tip just far enuff to get good threads, but be snug, and the small hole at the end of the part you make needs to be intact for better masking effect at the o2 sensor.
it worked on the honda so... maybe idk after my warranty is up unless i have a new cat that's definitely what I am doing.

didn't have these when i made mine

#4 ·
Hate to burst your bubble, but as everyone knows on this site the ESP is controlled by the computer...so is your emission and fuel delivery. There are codes installed by the manufacture what we call in the mechanic world as silent codes. They are not supposed to alert the driver of the change, but to have the mechanic investigate when the computer is plugged in. You can erase the memory but it won't help because every computer shows what the OEM specs are and what you cars specs are. This is how manufactures build lawsuit cases and help dealerships feel warranted when they tell you your warranty is void. As an Air Force mechanic what I recommend is buying a MOPAR high performance catylic converter that keeps with your warranty, and does not tell your computer to dump more fuel into the system. You can do as you please, but you should also know these things do not go unnoticed, and just like everything else it can be linked to major engine damage. Good luck man.

#5 ·
If you like to fool with cars like I do, it is best to do it on old ones. I have decided to leave my Patriot alone (for the most part) when it comes to things like that. Once you get a computer involved, even if you did make a difference, the computer will try to correct for it and then you are right back where you started. (I hate new cars, but I love the good mileage)

#12 ·
jaja haven't seen this post before, if i did i would of reported sooner that i gutted mine out. Since i was running N20 on my pat, after a few runs i would smell a horrible like burning rubber and i got worried and ask someone what was that about and they told me its caused by the catalytic. So i went to a muffle shop and they charged me 40$. And yes i got a check engine light.

#14 ·
definitely illegal in British Columbia, where we have bi-yearly emissions testing

#17 ·
I used to have a Montero which had California emissions, at the time California emissions for those vehicles meant 3 catalytic converters while the same vehicle built for the rest of the US market had 1 catalytic converter. The 1 converter on federal is the same part as the 3rd converter on the California ones, they just had an extra mounted in each side of the Y-pipe.

The literature for those trucks showed different peak horsepower for California and Federal emissions equipped vehicles and on a 3.5 liter V6 the difference in peak horsepower was 2 .

I'd imagine the difference in peak horsepower on our 4 cylinder engines would be like 1, or less. Total waste of time to gut to gut the cat if you ask me.

#18 ·
You'll definitely not notice any difference. Unless your cat is plugged. You'd also have to live with the MIL being lit up, which would annoy the crap out of me. And given all the computer controls on the Patriot, gutting the cat might even take power away.

#20 ·
I've seen hit or miss results using spark plug anti-foulers with some having to run two of them stacked on each other if pipe to body clearance allows. But you are correct that this can work as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.