Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
7,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a new plinker!

Here it is next to the wife’s:

Looking forward to going out and shooting with it next weekend.

What all do you guys have?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
11,009 Posts
Just got a .25ACP the other month and been so busy never got ammo to have the wife break it in!
What is that thing?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Charter Arms Undercover Stainless 38spl
Glock 26 9mm
Ruger LCP 380
Ruger P89 9mm
Ruger P95DC (2) 9mm
Springfield XD-S 40S&W

Seven? Just seven? Obviously I have to go out shopping. Not trying to be critical but I've had bad luck with 25ACP and find the caliber, accuracy, and reliability questionable. Maybe things have changed.

·
Registered
7,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Charter Arms Undercover Stainless 38spl
Glock 26 9mm
Ruger LCP 380
Ruger P89 9mm
Ruger P95DC (2) 9mm
Springfield XD-S 40S&W

Seven? Just seven? Obviously I have to go out shopping. Not trying to be critical but I've had bad luck with 25ACP and find the caliber, accuracy, and reliability questionable. Maybe things have changed.
You have a few 9mms what do you like/not like about the ones you have?

·
Registered
153 Posts
The Rugers are reliable, accurate, fun to shoot without being tiring, easy to rack, and 15 round magazines are still available. Concealed carry is more difficult due to their size and weight. If I had to pare it down to owning one handgun it would be the P95DC.

Glock is smaller, lighter, but only holds 10 rounds and is harder to rack. Great for purse carry.

·
Premium Member
145 Posts
Ruger Mark IV 22/45 lite.

Top one is a walther p22.

Both are .22 cal. I have probably 1000+ rounds. I need to start going through them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I had a Walther P-22. It was the worst gun I ever owned. That thing jammed and misfired A LOT!!! Which is sad. I wanted to like the thing. As there is nothing more worthless than an unreliable gun, I got rid of it.

·
Unsponsored Baja racer
4,554 Posts
Daisy Red Ryder .177
Mossberg 185 K-A 20 gauge
Winchester 62A .22
Pietta Model 1857 .44

Wish list includes Remington model 700 stainless synthetic in 7mm Remington Ultra Mag and Thompson M1SB. And of course the classic 1911, probably also Remington.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Ruger 10/22 - .22LR
Walther PPS M2 - 9mm
Mossberg 590 - 12ga.
Remington 700 - .270 Win
Springfield M1 - .30-06 Springfield

Among others...

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I have too many to list... :) I do collect some and shoot others, but my "log book" has 123 entries. I keep it along with pictures and in some cases appraisals for insurance purposes. One day it will help supplement my retirement...... hopefully.

I have several Ruger 22 handguns. Both in the "Mk" series, and the 22/45 series. I love the 22/45 lite. Especially the newest "mark iv" like yours. They fixed the total PITA they were to take down for cleaning. They are accurate, fun, and easy to modify. (do a google search for "volquartsen") Have fun with that thing. You might find yourself shooting the Walther p22 less and less.....

·
Registered
7,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have too many to list... :) I do collect some and shoot others, but my "log book" has 123 entries. I keep it along with pictures and in some cases appraisals for insurance purposes. One day it will help supplement my retirement...... hopefully.

I have several Ruger 22 handguns. Both in the "Mk" series, and the 22/45 series. I love the 22/45 lite. Especially the newest "mark iv" like yours. They fixed the total PITA they were to take down for cleaning. They are accurate, fun, and easy to modify. (do a google search for "volquartsen") Have fun with that thing. You might find yourself shooting the Walther p22 less and less.....
I already haven't gone shooting in like 6 years, because the last time I took the P22 out, it jammed so bad on me, I had a live round I was digging out with a screw driver... Was not thrilled about that.

Yeah, I've seen 22plinkster's videos on youtube, and he hopped up his gun with volquartsen stuff. I have a red dot site coming, but other than that, I want to just put a crap ton of rounds through it. I picked up one of these https://amzn.to/2tJ4rnB to make that process even easier!

That's... That's a lot of guns. My FIL has like 30+ guns and I thought that was a lot.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I already haven't gone shooting in like 6 years, because the last time I took the P22 out, it jammed so bad on me, I had a live round I was digging out with a screw driver... Was not thrilled about that.

Yeah, I've seen 22plinkster's videos on youtube, and he hopped up his gun with volquartsen stuff. I have a red dot site coming, but other than that, I want to just put a crap ton of rounds through it. I picked up one of these https://amzn.to/2tJ4rnB to make that process even easier!

That's... That's a lot of guns. My FIL has like 30+ guns and I thought that was a lot.
The speed loaders are great. For years I refused to spend money on one. Then after one day on the range, I had really bad cramps in my hand from loading the mags. I know make sure I have one that works for all my magazine fed guns.
And yeah.... it's a lot. But I have been shooting, buying, and collecting for 30 years. I basically ripped a closet out of my house, put two gun safes in it, and then rebuilt the walls around the safes for storage.
I also shoot USPSA and IDPA and highly recommend it. Your new Ruger is perfect for NSSF rimfire challenge, SCSA steel challenge, or NRA action pistol. It's a lot of fun and I'm sure your close to a club that does one or the other, or several. I use a Ruger 22/45 for steel challenge at a local club and it is one of my favorite competitions. Most clubs will let you shoot in USPSA or IDPA matches with a rimfire, but they don't tally your score. USPSA and IDPA you have to move around and reload during the stages. It's all about time and accuracy and gives you a good workout too...
Warning..... playing these "games" will have you increasing your collection and spending more on guns and ammo than you thought.... but, you will probably meet a lot of great people, learn a little about yourself, and have a lot of fun.

·
Registered
7,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks, Went to the shooting range saturday with my dad and my wife. It was fun. 500 rounds lasted about an hour and a half between two guns and 3 people. the speed loaders are a must have.

Posted this video on my channel featuring my new gun:

I tried the red dot, its totally off, I was MUCH better without it.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
aroundincircles;1844665[/quote said:
, may I make a suggestion regarding your jamming issue?

If so, read on..... If not just ignore....

22 rimfire ammo has some of the worst quality control in the business. I have 8 different 22lr firearms and they all like different brands/types best. However, there is on brand/type that I get consistently good performance from in all of my 22lr guns. Do yourself a favor and pick up the CCI mini mag 40 grain solid point ammo. It isn't the most accurate in any single one of my rimfires, but it jams less, and shoots accurately enough out of all of them that it makes it easy to just buy that one type of ammo.

Particularly with the ruger 22 rimfire handguns, they seem to detest lead point bullets. (at least mine do). They are dirtier and jam most often when shooting anything with a bare lead bullet. Copper plated or jacketed work much better in the ruger handguns. The CCI minimags come in two flavors. A 36 grain hollow point, and a 40 grain solid. I get the best results with the 40 grain solid. They come in packs of 100 rounds and cost about 9 bucks per pack. They aren't the cheapest, but not expensive. The CCI standard velocity that you have in your video are still bare lead bullets and I have not had good results in the handguns with those.

I hope the magazine issue fixes it for you. But try all mags with bare lead bullets and then again with the copper plated winchesters that you bought. It wouldn't surprise me if you found the issue goes away with copper plated bullets. Then get your hands on the CCI mini mags and have fun shooting.

·
Registered
7,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah, I have 6 or 7 different kinds of bullets. Brands and styles. my biggest problem with the cci mini mags is the price. they are about $.07-.08/round. The federals I bought were under $.05/round. I know that doesn't sound like a lot of money, but it adds up pretty quickly.

I am hoping that the federal bulk ammo makes it happy, it is copper plated (more like dusted or sneezed on by somebody who's heard about copper once in their life).

we'll see, I have now over 1000 rounds I can put through it, and Boy howdy will I. I plan on going this saturday to the gun range.

my FIL gave us three more guns.. none of which were on my want list. I have to figure out what to do with them. They are too big for my wife's hands, and I have no interest in revolvers or the .410 shot gun he gave us. (it is meant for my son, but is far too big/heavy for him).

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Yeah, I have 6 or 7 different kinds of bullets. Brands and styles. my biggest problem with the cci mini mags is the price. they are about $.07-.08/round. The federals I bought were under $.05/round. I know that doesn't sound like a lot of money, but it adds up pretty quickly.

I am hoping that the federal bulk ammo makes it happy, it is copper plated (more like dusted or sneezed on by somebody who's heard about copper once in their life).

we'll see, I have now over 1000 rounds I can put through it, and Boy howdy will I. I plan on going this saturday to the gun range.

my FIL gave us three more guns.. none of which were on my want list. I have to figure out what to do with them. They are too big for my wife's hands, and I have no interest in revolvers or the .410 shot gun he gave us. (it is meant for my son, but is far too big/heavy for him).
The mini-mags are more expensive. But in my time shooting I have found them to be worth the extra expense vs cheaper ammo with no uniformity or consistency of performance. And, for what it's worth the CCI mini mags are far from "expensive" rimfire ammo. RWS, Eley, etc.... There is some 22LR ammo out there that is prices at center fire ammo prices.
For me, I guess it comes down to knowing that I am using a consistent product that works very well for me. Because of that, I am willing to spend a couple extra bucks per session. The Federal, I have used and tried multiple times. I am a fan of a lot of thier center fire products, but especially their bulk packaged rimfire has been a let down for me.
As for the new acquisitions from the FIL.... I love revolvers. I didn't think I would, and discounted them for a long time. I now have several. 1 Smith & Wesson, and 2 Rugers. Once I got used to them, I have found that very few semi auto's can compete with even basic revolvers in terms of accuracy. (I wanted to say consistency there but had used it before in the ammo discussion. Personally I relate the term "accuracy" to the human operating the firearm. But a firearm that shoots consistently to the same "point of aim" helps the human be more "accurate") Also, a big, heavy 410 shotgun can actually be a good way to introduce a young shooter to the sport. The weight of the gun absorbs recoil, which inspires confidence. And, in the right setting, busting clay birds is a safe and fun way to get started.... might be worth it to hang onto for a while. After all, it's not like it's costing you anything. Oil it up, and lock it away for a bit. "A bird in the hand" and all....

·
Registered
7,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
As for the new acquisitions from the FIL.... I love revolvers. I didn't think I would, and discounted them for a long time. I now have several. 1 Smith & Wesson, and 2 Rugers. Once I got used to them, I have found that very few semi auto's can compete with even basic revolvers in terms of accuracy. (I wanted to say consistency there but had used it before in the ammo discussion. Personally I relate the term "accuracy" to the human operating the firearm. But a firearm that shoots consistently to the same "point of aim" helps the human be more "accurate") Also, a big, heavy 410 shotgun can actually be a good way to introduce a young shooter to the sport. The weight of the gun absorbs recoil, which inspires confidence. And, in the right setting, busting clay birds is a safe and fun way to get started.... might be worth it to hang onto for a while. After all, it's not like it's costing you anything. Oil it up, and lock it away for a bit. "A bird in the hand" and all....
My wife still wants a revolver, but the Dan Wesson we were given is big. it's big for my hand, and my wife has tiny hands. Its the same frame as their .357 magnum 715 revolver. We plan on going to a gun show again soon and have her handle a bunch to see what actually fits in her hand.

The 410 is an M6 scout rifle/shotgun combo. Its too cumbersome to teach with. to load it, requires it to be broken, and the lever likes to pinch fingers. and it being a heavier gun (compared to some of the .22lr rifles I was looking at buying for my son), and the whole use of it falls under the "meh" category for me. if I had all the money in the world, sure I would keep them and buy what I want, but they could easily buy me what I actually want to have in my collection.

·
Unsponsored Baja racer
4,554 Posts
Haha, if I had a couple grand to spare y'all know what I'd do with it. https://www.auto-ordnance.com/thompson-sbr/ Sadly it looks like they're not making the M1SB anymore. Apparently gangster style is more popular than Capt. America/WW2 GI style. Sad story of modern culture.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts