Jeep Patriot Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 201 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thankful for the opinions and knowledge of my fellow members. I try to keep an open mind, but sometimes I limit myself to like-minded friends so I don't get the full picture on everything. I'd appreciate comments on the following which I've sent to a few legislators so far. Maybe you'll help me improve it.

As former military and law enforcement, a gun owner, and NRA member I am providing the obvious solution:

Mass shootings are possible because semi-automatic weapons and multiple round magazines are readily available. The solution is to ban the sale of all semi-automatic weapons. A 1 year buy back program would compensate pistol and long gun owners who are willing to turn theirs in for destruction. After that period, possession of a semi-automatic pistol or long gun would be illegal. This would also eliminate the need to manufacture and sell the many different calibers of ammunition used almost exclusively in semi-automatics. Shooting enthusiasts would still be able to choose among many other options such as bolt, pump, break, revolver, etc. This change would eliminate the rapid firing rate and quick reloading which so enables these cowardly killers. Those who feel they must play with semi or fully automatic weapons can join the Army.

·
8,128 Posts
I'm not much of a gun owner -- couple .22s -- but I don't blame guns for violence. My guns have never hurt anyone, nor will they. There was an old proverb about the most dangerous part of car being the nut behind the wheel. Same thing is true of guns. A gun in my hands is no more dangerous than a teddy bear.

The real problem is that parents aren't bringing up their children like they once did. In the immortal words of Pogo, "We have met the enemy and he is us!" Its the radicalization of western society. As the politicians pull us apart and the media drives us apart, everyone that doesn't agree with a particular viewpoint is demonized. That makes an excuse for violence. (Not a reason but an excuse).

My generation was raised on Leave it to Beaver, the next generation was raised on The Simpsons, and this generation is raised on violent video games. Now who can be surprised?

·
Unsponsored Baja racer
4,557 Posts
More handguns are used in violent crimes than any other, and still you're blaming semi-auto or fully-automatic guns(the latter already illegal without a crapton of permits)? Blame the shooter!!!! They're the one that made the CHOICE to do something stupid. And if their parents didn't raise them right, that ain't right either. Letting the liberal snowflakes turn you into a coward too? Sheesh. Live and learn already.

·
Premium Member
11,009 Posts
Its mostly mental health that needs addressing however in our society no matter what you do you will not and cannot prevent some of these shootings from happening - period. If you think you know how - well you will win the noble peace prize year after year!

Reactions: RossoRacer

·
8,128 Posts
Its mostly mental health that needs addressing however in our society no matter what you do you will not and cannot prevent some of these shootings from happening - period. If you think you know how - well you will win the noble peace prize year after year!
Bad people will do bad things. If you take away their guns, they'll find other ways. I can think of some but no way I'll post them.

The problem for law enforcement is to use their imaginations to think like people they aren't. They have to ask, "How can I kill a bunch of people?" when they are in their careers to save lives, not take them.

·
Premium Member
3,453 Posts
I think that we as a society should be more involved, for example: "I you see something, say something!"

I agree that there is no logical reason for anyone outside of law enforcement and military to own such high powered long guns, however, I fear treading upon the 2nd amendment rights of my fellow citizens. For example, I could own a 700 hp muscle car, but I chose not to--does that mean all 700 hp cars should be banned?

Let's put this monkey back where it belongs--better mental health screening, better parenting, etc. You may have read where a grandmother just north of Seattle noticed a journal entry by her grandson threatening/planning a mass shooting--she turned the little brat in....if more moms, sisters, etc. would look out for their family members...and their insane actions, perhaps we can make a dent in this horrible situation.

And this ridiculous notion of arming school personnel and teachers--yeah right...

Reactions: croat

·
Registered
308 Posts
Something has gone awry with our culture in the last couple of decades.

When i was that age, it was unheard of for these horrific things to happen.
In fact, i remember when in grade school, a couple buddies and me would bring our BB and pellet guns to school to go plinking after school. No way would that happen today.

Its not the guns but the human brain pulling the trigger. Guns are an inanimate object with no brain.
Whether its video games, social media, mental illness, the media in general, plain evil, etc. who knows at this point.

As a gun owner myself, what i would like to see is a prohibition on purchasing fire arms and ammo until the age of 21.
Further, possession of a fire arm by minors unless accompanied by an adult should also be prohibited.

If minors have such an urge for firearms let them join the military.

·
Use the SEARCH feature
1,393 Posts
There's a famous twitter post which says:
"In retrospect Sandy Hook marked the end of the US gun control debate. Once America decided killing children was bearable, it was over."
Gun ease-of-access is the difference when studies compare it with every other excuse made above.

Our mental health problems and help matches other wealthy countries, video games and violent media had no impact to the numbers, and neither did racial diversity.

We have the same crime as everyone else, it was just found that America's is far more likely to end up deadly. And that was because of our love affair with guns.

I dont have the answers.

jack.allwardt has good advice though. At the very least we need to teach our kids to narc out people when they see/hear things. Its not "just a joke." It could be their life.

·
8,128 Posts
Something has gone awry with our culture in the last couple of decades.

When i was that age, it was unheard of for these horrific things to happen.
In fact, i remember when in grade school, a couple buddies and me would bring our BB and pellet guns to school to go plinking after school. No way would that happen today.

Its not the guns but the human brain pulling the trigger. Guns are an inanimate object with no brain.
Whether its video games, social media, mental illness, the media in general, plain evil, etc. who knows at this point.

As a gun owner myself, what i would like to see is a prohibition on purchasing fire arms and ammo until the age of 21.
Further, possession of a fire arm by minors unless accompanied by an adult should also be prohibited.

If minors have such an urge for firearms let them join the military.
As a kid I didn't bring my gun to school because my friends could come to my place. We had a big open field out back so we knew where our bullets were going. No chance of an accident.

Yes, I bought bullets at age 16. None of them ever hurt anyone.

I was taught how to use a .22 when I could lift the barrel to aim it -- around 1st grade I'd guess. My father and my uncle were there to teach me. I never got reprimanded because they stressed to me the importance of safety. I remember at the outset my Dad pointing out to me the range: 1 mile. He pointed to a friends house across the valley and said if I wasn't careful I could kill Mrs. P_____ in her backyard. Somehow that really stuck with me.

I also learned to respect life. I had goldfish, a snail and a turtle as a preschooler. I got a cat in 1st grade. Mom kept houseplants and explained to me how fragile they were. Even the moss growing on a rock was fascinating. These things all shared the gift of life with me, and if I wasn't careful (not only with guns) I could end the life of someone/something else.

Sure, there are a few folks I've met in my life that I'd just as soon were dead, but its not my place to terminate them. Maybe I'm an optimist, but I always hope even the most repulsive people will turn around and start being good. Wouldn't it be nice if Kim Jong Un woke up some morning and said to himself, "Sheese! I've been a total scumbag to my people and the world. I'm turning over a new leaf." Remember Ebenezer Scrooge? That mean old miser turned into the nicest man in the city. :) That's religion's idea of being born again: every new day is a chance to start over. Its not so much a religious experience as it is a personal decision to live right. Not even God can change the past, but every one of us has power over our own future.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'm from the UK so, thankfully, we (generally) don't have these problems over here (We did have the Dunblane shooting in 1995 (I think), where 16 kids were killed in school) but for the most part we don't have gun crime ... you have to jump through hoops to get a licence for an air rifle these days. However, I do understand that the culture is different in the US, so not being from that culture I tend to try and not get involved in gun discussions ... however ...

The old argument of "It's not guns that kill people, it's people that kill people" will always come up and I do think that's a close minded response. These things would not happen if there were no guns, in the same way they rarely happen anywhere else in the world ... if there were no guns it wouldn't happen, you don't get people doing mass stabbings in schools or running about with a chainsaw ... both of which are legal to own and will easily kill/injure. Unfortunately though there are too many guns in the USA, banning them now won't work because there are too many, people will always have them ... it's kinda gone too far to do anything about it now, I think.

I don't know what the solution is ... ban the sale of all bullets, make all bullets rubber so they still hurt but would be a lot less likely to kill, I don't know, then you'd have the hunting community up in arms.

Quote the declaration and you're right to bear arms ... but even Jefferson said :

"I am certainly not an advocate for frequent and untried changes in laws and constitutions. I think moderate imperfections had better be borne with; because, when once known, we accommodate ourselves to them, and find practical means of correcting their ill effects. But I know also, that laws and institutions must go hand in hand with the progress of the human mind. As that becomes more developed, more enlightened, as new discoveries are made, new truths disclosed, and manners and opinions change with the change of circumstances, institutions must advance also, and keep pace with the times. We might as well require a man to wear still the coat which fitted him when a boy, as civilized society to remain ever under the regimen of their barbarous ancestors."

It needed updating a long time ago but the NRA are pumping too much money into greedy politicians pockets for this to ever happen.

·
Unsponsored Baja racer
4,557 Posts
Agreed that bad people are gonna do bad things....seriously, Cain didn't even have a gun available to kill Abel with. His choices were his bare hands, or a rock, or maybe a small log. The Bible doesn't say what he used for a weapon, just that he overpowered and killed his own brother. Why does it leave out the weapon of choice? Because that's not as important as the fact that he made a bad choice.

Now I didn't get to use a firearm until I was 11 years old, but if I'm ever blessed enough to have kids of my own, I have no problem teaching them proper gun safety and letting them plink a few targets with a .22 as soon as they're old enough to understand instructions and what such a device can easily do.

As for the correlation between firearm legality and ease of turning a crowded location into an inappropriate shooting gallery.....I recently read that America is third overall in the world for gun crime, but that if you don't count our four most gun-hating cities(Chicago, Detroit, DC, and probably NYC) that number drops to fourth from the bottom. So I say teach the kids proper gun safety, and let them have a gun rack in every vehicle again. Give every teacher and every student with discretion a firearm. Hire veterans to help guard the schools...they're already trained for combat, so no extra cost there. How can anybody in good conscience condone protecting anybody, especially the nation's children, with signs saying "gun-free zone"?

·
Registered
44 Posts
So the solution to Americas gun problem is to allow everyone to carry guns wherever they want, including students at school?

Yeah, I think that might just work :BLAM:

·
Unsponsored Baja racer
4,557 Posts
I'm from the UK so, thankfully, we (generally) don't have these problems over here (We did have the Dunblane shooting in 1995 (I think), where 16 kids were killed in school) but for the most part we don't have gun crime ... you have to jump through hoops to get a licence for an air rifle these days. However, I do understand that the culture is different in the US, so not being from that culture I tend to try and not get involved in gun discussions ... however ...

The old argument of "It's not guns that kill people, it's people that kill people" will always come up and I do think that's a close minded response. These things would not happen if there were no guns, in the same way they rarely happen anywhere else in the world ... if there were no guns it wouldn't happen, you don't get people doing mass stabbings in schools or running about with a chainsaw ... both of which are legal to own and will easily kill/injure. Unfortunately though there are too many guns in the USA, banning them now won't work because there are too many, people will always have them ... it's kinda gone too far to do anything about it now, I think.

I don't know what the solution is ... ban the sale of all bullets, make all bullets rubber so they still hurt but would be a lot less likely to kill, I don't know, then you'd have the hunting community up in arms.

Quote the declaration and you're right to bear arms ... but even Jefferson said :

"I am certainly not an advocate for frequent and untried changes in laws and constitutions. I think moderate imperfections had better be borne with; because, when once known, we accommodate ourselves to them, and find practical means of correcting their ill effects. But I know also, that laws and institutions must go hand in hand with the progress of the human mind. As that becomes more developed, more enlightened, as new discoveries are made, new truths disclosed, and manners and opinions change with the change of circumstances, institutions must advance also, and keep pace with the times. We might as well require a man to wear still the coat which fitted him when a boy, as civilized society to remain ever under the regimen of their barbarous ancestors."

It needed updating a long time ago but the NRA are pumping too much money into greedy politicians pockets for this to ever happen.
There's no mass stabbings because a knife isn't a ranged weapon....a few brave unarmed souls can easily overcome a single deranged individual with a blade.

A gun is a ranged weapon, and your culture in some places has just put them completely aside...that's commendable in many circumstances. But I hear in other areas like London, there's still a black market with guns and plenty of gun violence despite firearms being 100% illegal. Now it's possible my news sources got something wrong about that, or that yours are lying to you about it in order to keep you against guns. The story is still there.

And while it is perhaps in part a close-minded response to say "it's not the gun, it's the person", guns are gonna be on this planet one way or another. Sure, a criminal may in some cases have a harder time getting one, but the internet makes everything available with ease, especially today, and this planet's ranged weapon of choice, aka the firearm, is part of that. Make them illegal, especially in a country raising its kids to be either spoiled brats or ignorant psychos who think they're smart, and somebody's gonna decide to shoot up a room full of innocent people just because they didn't like their neighbor's Halloween costume. Making sure not only that more people are raised with wisdom and discretion, but that most of the population has a firearm, will do two things for the gun violence problem....1. a potential shooter won't actually do anything stupid because they're worried about getting shot up themselves, and 2. if they do it anyway for some reason, they'll inflict much less harm on others than would otherwise be the case. In a sinful, corrupt world, ignoring the corruption won't keep you from being harmed by it. But defending yourself properly can give you a fighting chance.

·
Unsponsored Baja racer
4,557 Posts
So the solution to Americas gun problem is to allow everyone to carry guns wherever they want, including students at school?

Yeah, I think that might just work :BLAM:
50 years ago, high school kids across the country had gun racks in their vehicles, with loaded guns on them. But they didn't go around shooting up the school, because they were raised to know better. A student who knows better can protect others from a student who doesn't know better, especially if the idiot of the group is gonna go find a gun anyways. Best to arm the smart ones too.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Of course there are guns in the UK, there are guns everywhere ... I wouldn't have a clue where to get one though, that's the point ... your big time criminals will know a gangster that knows someone who can get you a gun ... but probably 98% of the population wouldn't have a clue of who to ask or where to look (I'm kinda just guessing here with these figures) or would be too scared to ask or look.

On the UK govt website (http://researchbriefings.parliament.uk/ResearchBriefing/Summary/CBP-7654) it says :

"In the twelve months ending 31 March 2017 there were a total of 6,375 non-air firearm offences recorded in England & Wales."

So that's not necessarily killings, could be an armed robbery or something, that also doesn't include Scotland / Northern Ireland ... it's still actually higher than I thought it would be.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Did you know that you can purchase a Dodge Demon with 800 horsepower? That's right - 800hp. Top speed - just a tad over 200 mph.
We know speed kills. In fact, we've recently seen an increase in people using cars and trucks as weapons to get that high body count that so many deranged people want. Why does ANYONE need 800 horsepower? My 171 hp jeep gets me up to the SAME 70 miles an hour on interstate as the Demon owner. IF, and ONLY IF - we are both obeying the laws. I own an ar-15. It has a 30 round magazine. It's NEVER killed anyone. It's locked away until such time that I want to enjoy some time at the range. So, for the guy that likes the power of his 800 hp car? Good for him - enjoy it but use the car safely and legally. Let me do the same with my guns. That goes for the literally millions of legal and safe gun owners in this land.
revdej

·
8,128 Posts
Last time I checked (I checked this morning), highway deaths outnumbered gun deaths. If you factor out suicides, there are about 3X more highway deaths than gun deaths. I am more likely to be killed in my Jeep than by the guns in my closet, even though I have the same number of each.

The largest act of mass murder in the US was accomplished without the use of guns.

While I disagree with Rosso that everyone should be armed, I strongly agree that the problem is the lack of upbringing. Its not just a bad upbringing, its often no upbringing at all. How many children come home to a parentless house each day? Whether its single-parent households or households with both parents working, children are unsupervised, particularly teens. As kids get more freedom in their teen years, that's when they get into trouble. So many parents are convinced their children would never do anything wrong. Why? Because their parents make lots of money? It was only once or twice in my life I came home to a house without a parent, and if that happened, I knew where I was to report: there were two older ladies in our village who were always home and one or the other became my destination. I didn't just hang around with my friends till my folks showed up.

·
Unsponsored Baja racer
4,557 Posts
Have you checked how Switzerland works? EVERYBODY there serves mandatory minimum two years in the military, and keeps one or more of their guns when they're discharged. No, the guns aren't left sitting on a desk, they're locked up when put away...though it's not unusual to see somebody walking down the street or through the local grocery store with an assault rifle strapped to his back. No, not a "scary-looking" version of an ordinary Ruger semi-auto, but a true-to-life fully-automatic Swiss military assault rifle. And what's the murder rate in that entire country? Maybe two per year. Usually committed by non-Swiss. Now, 242 years ago, when a fledgling young country called the United States of America came into being, some of its laws were patterned after Switzerland. Everybody learned proper gun safety, and everybody was part of their local militia, if not the bigger Continental Army. There were still a few more gun crimes than in Switzerand, but in a young, rough-cut country that was mostly frontier and still getting its bearings, they didn't do too bad. Then, as the country learned to improve how it did in certain social scenarios, socialism crept in and took hold as strong as it could....making guns a thing to be feared more than an idiot who might pick one up and use it for vile purposes. Speaking the truth about anything is now considered offensive. And the answer to all this is to take the guns away only from those who would use them to SAVE lives? Stupidity truly knows no bounds.

1 - 20 of 201 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.